The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics)

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 12:15 PM (permalink)
Like many small southern joints, GentleMan Jim's is located in an abandoned gas station. Jim's is fairly new and just recently had their grand opening so the wife and I dropped in for a quick breakfast while we were out this morning. Very clean, very simple, and very fast would be the best way to describe Jim's.

The walls are adorned with Jim Reeve's records, photos, and general memorabilia and the place serves up simple foods fast along with classic country on the radio...Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, and George Jones music goes great with breakfast.

I didn't speak to the owner but based on past experience, my guess is he was a Navy man...the place was clean, the service was fast, and the dinner specials included paella and "A taste of Britian".

Here's the outside - Jim's is on Hwy 81 South about 3 minutes outside of Jonesborough TN, the home of the internationally known story tellers festival. People come from all over the world to participate in the storytelling.

A couple of shots of the inside:

A shot of the breakfast specials board.

And the breakfast menu.

The wife selected pancakes and bacon. She had already started the buttering process when I made her stop to take a snapshot.

And I opted for the Bologna, eggs, and biscuit with gravy.

Neither of us could finish our meals and the total for the meals plus coffee was $11. Overall I'd rate the food a 7 and we would drop in again.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 12:32 PM (permalink)

Larry, the chow looks pretty good, even to a 'non-breakfast man' like me. What's more important, your photo quality is going up rapidly ! Congratulations !

RibRater

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 12:37 PM (permalink)
      Thanks Al. I'm not a fan of breakfast either and typically skip it or have some coffee and juice but from time to time (usually after a rough night ) I like a substantial breakfast to settle the stomach.

ayersian

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 1:05 PM (permalink)
        Larry, fried bologna on any menu is enough to turn my head! Was it as good as it looked? And the gravy -- how was that? Coincidentally, I have a friend who moved to Jonesborough, and I'll forward this link to him. Thanks much, Chris

RibRater

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 1:14 PM (permalink)
          Hey Chris...the bologna was a pretty good quality meat so overall it was tasty. You can always tell a really cheap bologna once it is fried because it has a cardboard like quality but I would guess this was a Bryant brand or something similar. Not as much garlic as I like but overall pretty good. I could pass on the gravy..I hit it with some salt and pepper but since there was no hot sauce on the table (another navy clue ;-), I ate a little more then half.

Jonesborough is a great little walking town with numerous small dining spots. And, they have Depot Street Brewing, a very good micro brewery.

Sundancer7

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 1:15 PM (permalink)
            Larry, you are getting good with the camera. I will stop in Jonesborough when I attend the Bristol NHRA races. I have stopped in Jonesborough several times before but I had never seen this place. Where is it located.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

RibRater

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 1:16 PM (permalink)
              Paul, just go down Jonesborough main street and stay straight. That turns into 81 South and Jim;s is about 3-4 minutes out of town on the right.

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 1:22 PM (permalink)
                The fried bologna looked great...I probably would have asked for another biscuit and loaded a piece on it. The gravy looked "weak" to me...also, I hate my gravy spilling over to my eggs. But that's another clue to "navy" guy.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                  RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 2:02 PM (permalink)
                  There's always a down side to a good thing, and Fontana's good thing is plenty of Mexican food. The down side is a dearth of places that serve food like this. I'd be all over that plate of fried bologna, eggs and gravy plastered biscuits.

I miss my truck driving days in the South.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                    RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 2:39 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Paul, just go down Jonesborough main street and stay straight. That turns into 81 South and Jim;s is about 3-4 minutes out of town on the right.
                    Hey Larry....didn't Jonesborough used to be spelled Jonesboro? I went out with a girl from there while at school in NC and I could have sworn it didn't have the UGH back then.

RibRater

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 2:47 PM (permalink)
                      Pancho..I think they bill themselves as the first (or second) oldest town in Tennessee so they have probably gone through a number of changes over the years. adding ugh looks like an attempt to "northernize" the name heh? Awful lot of yankees have been moving down here over the past few years and you know how pushy they can be about these things.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/10/08 4:31 PM (permalink)
                        LRJ

Good looking breakfast

I normally don't eat breakfast, but I enjoy eating breakfast (does that make sense?)

When I saw the menu board and there was fried Bologna I was hoping you had ordered it.

angeltearsmc

• Total Posts: 319
                          RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Mon, 02/11/08 1:28 PM (permalink)
                          Larry, I'll have to stop in for breakfast there one day. I love going down and walking through the antique stores every now and then. Is Hwy 81 the road that goes from Jonesborough to Erwin?

RibRater

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Mon, 02/11/08 1:32 PM (permalink)
                            Yes it is

keen5

• Total Posts: 24
                              RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Mon, 02/11/08 2:08 PM (permalink)
                              How cool! I grew up in that town and my mom and sister always go down for the family reunion during Jonesboro Days. And...Yes! We did always leave off the ugh when I was there. I remember a lot of natives being upset over the change. It is indeed the oldest town in Tennessee.

I'll have to see if any of my relatives there have eaten there yet.

Sundancer7

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Mon, 02/11/08 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                I had breakfast in Jonesborough last year on the way to Bristol for the NHRA races down at the end of town where it L's off. I forget the name but it was great and the town is small is neat.

Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                  RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Mon, 02/11/08 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                  Jonesborough seems like a town that really could use more restaurants. I find myself there about once a year, and while there are some good places for lunch and breakfast, my dinner options are usually limited to that bistro. I can't remember its name. It has good food, but it is not very big.

Years ago there used to be a restaurant in the old chuch by the railroad tracks. I think it was called the parsonage. I never tried it, but what a great space.

Oh, on a side note, there is a bed and breakfast in town called the Blair Moore House. They make the best breakfast I've ever had in a B and B. In fact, they might make the best breakfast I've ever had.

RibRater

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Tue, 02/12/08 3:30 AM (permalink)
                                    That area is growing pretty fast. There is a brick oven pizza place opening soon, a new italian joint about 5 minutes away, and a mexican restaurant that opened about 1.5 years ago. This in addition to a couple of new small places right in town.

There was a bbq stand open for about 6 months but they are gone now. A victim of their food would be my guess...I gave them a C.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                                      RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Tue, 02/12/08 5:57 AM (permalink)
                                      Wow,thanks for the post.I may never get to Jonesborough,but the beauty of Roadfood.com is we can see these great finds through people like you. I love little towns like this...and boy would I have jumped on that fried bologna.Boy they slice it thick! Never see fried bologna on a menu here in Jersey. Thanks!!

angeltearsmc

• Total Posts: 319
                                        RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Tue, 02/12/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                        There is a place called "Olde Towne Pancake House" right by the library and post office. But if you turn off 11-W at the light where McD's is, onto Boone St (going away from the golden arches), it'll be on your left. I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Downtown Jonesborough has a few "bistro" type places, especially popular with the theatre-going crowd. The Cranberry Thistle, Bistro 105, Dogwood Lane, Main St Cafe, and Sweet Magnolia. Not RF, but good food nonetheless.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                          RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Tue, 02/12/08 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                          Cranberry Thistle is a nice place for a sandwich and coffee. My wife works the Thistle's owner on setting up small concerts, mostly classic county and acoustic things.

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                                            RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Tue, 02/12/08 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                            Culinary aspects aside for a moment,I think it's really neat that somebody would honor the memory of Jim Reeves like this.What a wonderful voice the man had.His recording of "Suppertime" is one of the few records that actually makes me cry every time.And everyone of our era knows "He'll have to go".Thats a voice you wont hear on American Idol anytime soon.
                                            Thanks Gentleman Jim's for your reverence.If I get to Jonesborough count me there for breakfast.

liltruckinmama

• Total Posts: 1
                                              RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Thu, 02/21/08 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                              I have eaten there the next time try the Jonesbrough Omlet it is great.

Buster the Bad

RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Fri, 02/22/08 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                                I found the food at Gentleman jims just great, both Breakfast and their buffet, they have a very good breakfast buffet on saturday and the sunday lunch buffet is considered the best in the area. the menu food i excellent too.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                                  RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Fri, 02/22/08 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  Great pics, when we can read the menu prices, you done good. Great looking grub, incredible prices.

Magic Mel

• Location: Jonesborough, TN
                                                    RE: GentleMan Jim's Jonesborough TN (pics) Sun, 02/24/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                                    You might want to look at the website, it's very basic, but you can listent to the selected Jim Reeves track of the week. There is also a handy link on how to find them

www.gentlemanjims-restaurant.com

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com