George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago

Author
Ted K
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2004/04/27 23:47:07 (permalink)

George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago

I found this site because I was searching for George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago on the Web. I'm certain it doesn't exist any more except as a fond memory. I used to drive to Chicago from Detroit in the early 60's just to eat at Geroge Diamond's. There was usually a wait of about 45 minutes on most nights. They served a basic steak meal: great steak char-broiled, baked potato, salad with three special dressings made exclusively by the house. It was a wonderful atmosphere. I moved to California in '64 and found that they had an outlet in Palm Springs. But it wasn't as good. I still have a menu of the Chicago site: full dinner for 2.50 to 3.75. I'm going to Chicago at the end of May with my girlfriend. This is why the bout of nostalgia. What is the steak place to go to in Chicago these days? Any place like George Diamond's any more? I'd appreciate a suggestion. Ted K

21 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2004/04/28 00:25:15 (permalink)
    I may have good news for you. George Diamond's may not have a website, but in the yellow pages on the internet they are still listed with an address: 630 S. Wabash Avenue (Chicago), and a phone number: (312) 939-3000. If nothing else, try calling them to make sure they are still there! By the way, I wouldn't count on finding the same prices now.
    Ted K
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2004/04/28 00:55:17 (permalink)
    Thanks so much, 6 Star. I did call the number and AMAZINGLY they are still there. Unfortunately they are closed for remodeling for a while and they MAY be open by the 29th of May. The very nice lady on the phone told me to call back to find out around the end of May. In any event, I'll be going there some time, you can be sure. You know, I wonder if it'll be the same as I remembered it. I keep chasing my youth to recover the tastes of the past. It may be a fool's quest.
    Ted K
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2004/04/28 08:40:30 (permalink)
    I ate lots of steaks at George Diamond's and Joe Stein's as a kid. Haven't been there since 1961. For a nostalgic steak experience try Wildfire. They have 4 restaurants in the Chicagoland area. The blue cheese crusted filet is my favorite. Their baked potato has to be experienced. Share it with someone. If you go to the Lincolnshire Wildfire, ask for Alden or Scott as you waiter. Tell them Aaron's dad sent you. www.wildfirerestaurant.com
    Vital Information
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2004/04/28 10:15:16 (permalink)
    I guess it would be cool if George Diamond's re-opened, but I would not hold my breath. I think various people have tried to re-capture the magic over the years but with little success.

I think the only thing close to the Joe Stein's experience in Chicago is Myron and Phils on Devon on the far north side of Chicago. You start with the relishes: pickles, green tomatoes, red peppers, plus very nice chopped liver. Move to a salad, and you MUST get the intensley fishy green goddess dressing, finally stopping at a skirt steak that may be of your memories, sided with the guilty pleasure called burnt onions. I never have room, but dessert could include brandy alexander!
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2004/04/28 11:20:50 (permalink)
    While we are on the subject of old steakhouses, the best steak I've ever had was at a place called the House of Bertini on Wells Street- I believe the restaurant Crofton on Wells occupies the site these days.

Bertini's was an old Italian steakhouse with steaks aged until they were green. The steaks were served with sliced potatoes that were crisp on the edges and soft in the middle, perfect for sopping up the juices from the filet.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2004/04/28 13:33:09 (permalink)
    I laughed when I saw this one! It brings back memories of a very long day being dragged around Chicago by a friend who insisted we follow her intinerary which included Billy Goats for lunch and George Diamond for dinner. Now, out of all the good places in Chicago...... I forgot to mention that this was probably 15-20 years ago. The food at Billy Goats is not special nor, IMHO the atmosphere, if it wasn't for John Belushi I don't think this place ever would have survived. My best memory of George Diamond was the sad, out dated decor. On the walls were paintings of those sad eyed children that were pre-Precious Moment pop objects of the 1970's! I don't remember the steak being special but then I grew up on steak at Simonini's in Algonquin. What I do remember is that when we left, said friends car would not start and she somehow managed to get the chef to give it a jump start!
    hotdogphil
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/10/24 19:00:02 (permalink)
    This is very sad. Huge fire today at 630 So.Wabash. Building housed the famous, now closed George Diamond Steakhouse. It was a favorite of my late parents.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3154
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/10/24 20:17:58 (permalink)
    There was a George Diamond"s Steakhouse in Milwaukee in the late 50's to early 60's. The steaks were cooked over charcoal by chef's in the middle of the dining room; haven't thought about it in years.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/10/25 07:05:01 (permalink)
    Here a day later, Chicago Fire Department still fightig this fire. The building was a landmark designed by Adler and Sullivan in the 1890"s. Just saw Chicago fire chief saying the building is on the verge of total collapse, the George Diamond signs still visable.
    Bruce Blair
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/11/30 15:09:51 (permalink)
    Does anyone know who made George Diamonds Diamond Cream Dressing? They didn't make it in house because I used to order it by the gallon and they would sometimes tell me my order would be delayed until they received their shipment from their supplier.
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/11/30 15:24:43 (permalink)
    George diamond's salad dressing

February 15, 2006

MAKES 40 SERVINGS

1 (10-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 small onion, peeled and grated
    1 clove garlic, peeled and halved

Place undiluted soup, vinegar, oil, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, onion and garlic in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade. Cover and blend or process on high speed until pureed, about 2 minutes.

Serve chilled. Store covered leftovers in frig.

Nutrition facts per tablespoon: 51 calories, 4 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g carbohydrates, 0 g protein, 62 mg sodium, 0 g fiber
    Bruce Blair
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/11/30 18:58:23 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for this information about the diamond cream dressing. I've been in mourning ever since they closed. This was the only salad dressing I actually loved. After two or three wedges of lettuce drowned in that dressing, the filet was an afterthought. Thank you again. Oh the wonders of the internet.
    50sguynorm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2006/11/30 20:17:25 (permalink)
    Back in the early 60's, my father-in-law always claimed that George Diamond's used "meat tenderizer" and that real steak lovers wouldn't go there. He would take us to Barney's Market Club ("Yes sir, Senator") instead.
    Dave K
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2007/03/15 18:30:16 (permalink)
    Any one have any info on the vinegar/oil/(garlic?) salad dressing that they served along with this creamy pink/red salad dressing?
    I'm looking for any info, recipe, etc.
    I too, grew up in the Chicago area, and we often had family gatherings and parties at George Diamonds.
    Thank you in advance for any info that you may be able to provide!

Dave
    federin
    Junior Burger
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2007/08/18 23:45:42 (permalink)
    Its very sad to find out it burnt down specially when you are visiting from another country to find out cause you cant find the bulding anymore, my father used to eat there in the sixties and now sadly he is old and sick, before I came here I wanted to buy him a plane ticket and stay in a nice hotel just to take him to eat here and visit the prudential bulding where he used to work, I was planing to video tape the place for him, does anybody know if they have another branch somewhere? or a steak reciepie would be great to surprice him at home
    Thanks for your time
    Bruce Edward Parker
    Junior Burger
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2007/08/28 10:27:11 (permalink)
    I have a very old postcard from George Diamond Charcoal Broiled Steaks. It is a picturesque view of George Diamond preparing a steak before one of his open charcoal broilers. Also it is noted on the card that "A full steak dinner starts at $1.95" ahhh the good old days.
    It shows that there were three locations:
    Milwaukee - Kilbourn and 3rd Street
    Chicago - 512 So. Wabash
    Antioch - Highway 59 & Grass Lake Road (on a beautiful 18 hole golf course.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2007/08/28 10:55:01 (permalink)
    There is still a gold course in Antioch at the corner of rte. 59 and Grass Lake Road but there is no affiliation with George Diamond.
    tailgateproductions
    Junior Burger
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2008/02/09 12:40:16 (permalink)
    George Diamonds what a great place...I represented a number of the Chicago Bears from 1983 to 1994 and the first place that I would hit when I arrived in Chicago was George Diamonds.I don't know how I first found GD but from the first time I became a life long patron. The steaks were great but that chilled lettuce wedge and dressing was to die for...There are restaurants around the country that try and duplicate the wedge but no one has come close. The funniest thing that happen to me was the first day that I eat at GD. I said the forbidden word "do you have any ketchup". Did I get the evil eye that night...The waiter said we don't use ketchup in this restaurant so I asked can I have a side of your bbq sauce that you use on your ribs. From then on they knew I had eaten at the restaurant since that day after they would find empty Mcdonald's ketchup packages on the table once I left. I ended up living in Chicago from 1994 to 1998 and remembering that many occasion when I eat GB I was the only one in the restaurant. I can't remember the lady and the black gentlemen that were there toward the end. The last time I was in Chicago (2004) I went by the restaurant and the buliding look in fairly bad shape (condemned) but the front still had George Diamonds name on it and although the entire buliding was dark there was one glittering light in the window of George Diamonds Steak House.
    cdia1960
    Junior Burger
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2008/11/12 23:11:20 (permalink)
    I am looking to purchase items from the George Diamond Restaurant such as a plate or silverware with the George Diamond name logo on them. If you have something please let me know.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2008/11/14 14:20:38 (permalink)
    I am pretty sure the building was part of a fire in the south Loop last year.

I always looked at the sign out front and wondered about the history of this place. In recent years, Gibson's, The Chop House and Gene and Georgetti's were "THE" places for steak. But everytime I pass GD's I wonder as to the history and what GD's was like in it's hey day.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: George Diamond's Steak House in Chicago 2008/11/15 07:38:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

I am pretty sure the building was part of a fire in the south Loop last year.

Look at my post upthread, GD burned in October 2008, At the time I watched camera shots from a news helicopter and the structure was gutted but the sign was standing. Haven't heard anything about the building since, it was an historic building designed by famous Chicago architects Adler and Sullivan.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1