George Foreman Grill

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MrStoner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/03/08 10:53:45 (permalink)

George Foreman Grill

Does this thing work? How should I cook a ribeye medium-rare on it? I love the grilling suggestions you guys posted in the other thread, but I have no idea how to set the grill up. Can I cook a tasty 1.5-2" thick ribeye on the foreman thing? It looks pretty easy. Do you have to set a temperature on this thing?

Thanks.

37 Replies Related Threads

Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 11:50:12 (permalink)
    I had a small GF grill, and moved up to a Sunbeam (or is it Hamilton Beach?)grill. I much prefer it if only because the grease pan is like a drawer, and I think that works better and I can control the temp, which you can't do on the GF. It was also cheaper. I paid around $35.00 for mine and it is probably at least as large as the large GF.

I love the thing!
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 11:59:17 (permalink)
    I haven't used my GF grill for close to 10 years, so I can't claim to be an expert on the current state of the technology. At the time, however, I thought it was really good for vegetables but not so good for meat. As far as the set up, though, it was really easy. A few minutes with the instructions should get you going.
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 12:20:06 (permalink)
    I have a couple of older Foreman grills and they don't have temperature controls, so I just have to guesstimate the times. They also seem to work better and more consistently when the piece being grilled is boneless.

You might want to experiment with less expensive cuts until you're familiar with your grill's characteristics. The owner's manual should provide some reasonable guidelines to get you in the ballpark, but if for some reason you don't have one I guess I'd suggest 5 minutes as a starting point...but I also like my beef rare. Good luck!

Mine also make great grilled corned beef & swiss on rye...

Brad
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 12:38:01 (permalink)
    The wife got me a George Foreman grill for Christmas. I had never used it and it sat in my study unused. I came home the other night and the wife had grilled some pork chops. The house stunk like crazy. I have no idea if it was the grill or my wife's poor technique but I will never use the grill again. I will give it to Goodwill. Adios grill.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 12:56:49 (permalink)
    This may be one of those urban legends gone amok, but my friend swears that once he was cooking with a GFG, and, unbeknownst to him, flies had laid their eggs in the grease of the grill, and maggots eventually blossomed out of a steak he was cooking. He tells me that he heard around that some other people have had the same problems with their grill.

Rather than the design of the grill, it sounds more like a matter of poor kitchen hygeine. How do you clean those things, exactly?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 12:57:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MrStoner

Does this thing work? How should I cook a ribeye medium-rare on it? I love the grilling suggestions you guys posted in the other thread, but I have no idea how to set the grill up. Can I cook a tasty 1.5-2" thick ribeye on the foreman thing? It looks pretty easy. Do you have to set a temperature on this thing?

Thanks.
    If you want help in using that grill I suggest that you inquire at the following forum:

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-cooks
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 13:01:51 (permalink)
    I really only use mine GF in the winter because my husband steals the propane tank to heat the garage. I have an older one with no temp controls and no detachable heating grill surfaces. It is not my favorite appliance to say the least (I call it my lean, mean, pain in the ass to clean, machine). Everything comes out dry and well done.I use it primarily for burgers and chicken. I have done steaks in it and a couple of times it was OK but I don't like the fact that the lid puts pressure on the meat essentially squezing out all of the juices.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 13:25:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

The wife got me a George Foreman grill for Christmas. I had never used it and it sat in my study unused. I came home the other night and the wife had grilled some pork chops. The house stunk like crazy. I have no idea if it was the grill or my wife's poor technique but I will never use the grill again. I will give it to Goodwill. Adios grill.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

My wife uses our GF grill to do pork chops and they come out fine. She tends to overcook them if she broils them in our oven, but if she follows the cooking guide that comes with the grill, they turn out great every time.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 13:40:24 (permalink)
    Throw it away and get a Lodge castiron frying pan. It will only cost you six bucks. I had a GFG and used it once. I, like Paul, gave it away to the Salvation Army.

BB
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 13:56:02 (permalink)
    Heather and I held out getting one until this XMAS, when Mom got us the one we wanted-the Hamilton Beach model with the grill racks which snap out and can go into your dishwasher.
    Preheat it for about 8 minutes, and chicken breasts and turkey burgers come out fine-but that's all we have tried on it.
    For ribeye's and other classic steak cuts, it is either the broiler or like Bakerboy's method, we pull out the Lodge Cast Iron grill.
    We have to open windows and ventilate the smoke, when we use it inside our 3rd floor apartment, but nothing beats the sear you get from the hot cast iron.
    And you are seriously doing yourself a disservice if you travel down to Sundancer7's part of the country and don't make a stop at the Lodge Factory Outlet in Pigeon Forge,TN (or at least order online). On our last trip, we stuffed at least 50lbs. of cast iron cookware into the trunk of our already stuffed Honda Civic.
    DaveM
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 15:03:22 (permalink)
    Though I've never owned one (prefer the charcoal grill), my brother swears by his GF grill... He's had one atleast 3 or 4 years and the poor thing gets a workout.. He's cooked me burgers in it on a few occasions, and I've never had any complaints! (But then if someone does the cooking for me, I normally wise up and dont complain anyways)..
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 15:21:53 (permalink)
    If you took a tour of my house you'd see i'm a gadget freak. Audio/video, cookware etc. Never once have i ever considered buying a Geo Foreman grill- ever. I still have bad memories of this hotdog cooker we had when i was a kid (the one with the metal prongs you stuck the ends of the dogs on) it electrocuted them. I feel the GF grill is along the same lines.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 15:37:40 (permalink)
    I’m going to have to say no to these grills, all the flavor runs down into the drip tray. If you don’t want to use a charcoal grill I would go with cast iron and some butter.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 15:45:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

If you took a tour of my house you'd see i'm a gadget freak. Audio/video, cookware etc. Never once have i ever considered buying a Geo Foreman grill- ever. I still have bad memories of this hotdog cooker we had when i was a kid (the one with the metal prongs you stuck the ends of the dogs on) it electrocuted them. I feel the GF grill is along the same lines.

Hey, I remember that hot dog executioner. I've still got one somewhere in my parent's attic...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 16:04:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Hey, I remember that hot dog executioner. I've still got one somewhere in my parent's attic...

I remember in elementary school the teacher gave us a demo on one of them shockers. Seen them on Ebay now and then... Seem to bring a pretty penny in... (I still prefered the hand crank generator that brought out the night crawlers)...

Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 18:27:19 (permalink)
    We use ours for hamburgers, period. Three minutes on a side, period, for a medium rare burger.

Geez, KristiS, that was gross! I'm sure it was an urban legend. IF not, when did they ever clean the thing??? Who would put a burger on old grease? *Shudder* Sounds like the steak scene from Poltergeist.

We use clean paper towels to clean the grease, then a hot soapy one, and finally a hot wet one. Yup, they're a PITA to clean.
    MrStoner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/08 21:56:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to stay away from the GF grill. It doesn't sound like it makes things any easier than just cooking it on the broiler so I'll go that route.

--MrStoner
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 00:13:26 (permalink)
    I go to a coffee house that makes great grilled cheese sandwiches on a George Forman Grill. But I've never had any luck with meats on mine. They came out really dry and the grill was a mess to clean.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 01:18:24 (permalink)
    I just used my GFG tonight to cook a sirloin steak and it came out fine. I have a medium/large one about 4 years old which does have an adjustable temperature control, you'll want to use the low to medium setting (it's a slide control).
    My big gripe about them is that they are hard to clean, but this past Christmas I saw George hawking them on TV and the new models have removable [much easier to clean] grilling surfaces, a great idea a little late.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 09:05:05 (permalink)
    I don't have one, I'm in the cast iron skillet group, but the little sub shop I get carry out from uses one and makes a pretty decent rueben and grilled ham & cheese on theirs.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 09:53:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

I just used my GFG tonight to cook a sirloin steak and it came out fine. I have a medium/large one about 4 years old which does have an adjustable temperature control, you'll want to use the low to medium setting (it's a slide control).
    My big gripe about them is that they are hard to clean, but this past Christmas I saw George hawking them on TV and the new models have removable [much easier to clean] grilling surfaces, a great idea a little late.

PCC and Mark: If, after using the grill, you thoroughly wet a paper towel, put it on the grill, close it and leave it until the grill cools, that makes cleanup a lot easier.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 10:01:17 (permalink)
    Nothing steams/burns a perfectly good steak better than GFG, and it is a PAIN to clean.

May God forgive me for donating both of mine (received as gifts) to church flea market this weekend, along with equally annoying Pasta Extruder (also a gift).
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 10:52:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

I don't have one, I'm in the cast iron skillet group, but the little sub shop I get carry out from uses one and makes a pretty decent rueben and grilled ham & cheese on theirs.

kland01s got it right...

The GFG shines when it comes to making grilled cheese-filled sandwiches of any sort. The heating element touching the surface of the bread makes it brown and crispy while its close proximity to the sandwich filling quickly melts the cheese and warms the meat.

I cannot think of a better household appliance for this purpose.

It also does a good job with sausages as the grease runs into the tray rather than creating a braising liquid.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 14:05:07 (permalink)
    To All,

I guess that I am just not a gadget freak when it comes to the kitchen. Oh yeah I have a blender and a food processor, along with a deep fryer and a waffle iron. My slow cooker is a pot in the oven set at 250 degrees. I think the reason is that I like to be involved in the meal that I cook. I would no more cook a grilled cheese sandwich in a GFG than I would paint the moon. There is something about "Tending to a meal" that gives me a good feeling. I guess I just like to cook and do not need a GFG to do that. Give me a good pan, a good chef's knife and a gas stove and I'm fine.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 15:00:17 (permalink)
    I can cook a grilled cheese in my small Berndes frying pan in five minutes and wipe it clean in one. I prefer my meat not creamated.
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 15:23:21 (permalink)
    Grilled a turkey burger w/ green peppers yesterday on mu small GF and it came out fine.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/09 16:06:50 (permalink)
    quote:

I can cook a grilled cheese in my small Berndes frying pan in five minutes and wipe it clean in one. I prefer my meat not creamated.

What you are missing is that you can do it in the GFG without frying it in grease. It comes out a lot better than in a toaster where the bread will dry out before the meat gets warm or from a frying pan where it is dripping with butter. (Although I will have to grant you that dripping with butter can be enticing.)

And the meat does not get creamated, whatever that means. It just gets warmed as it would in a frying pan.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6653
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/12 15:25:41 (permalink)
    The chef has to 'fess up.....we have one but I DID NOT BUY IT! The Big Guy bought it...and I'm thinking.......YUUUUCK. YOU use it. Then I was using it.....for grilled panini sandwiches on the weekend with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil. It also works well when chef is out catering at night and The Big Guy just wants to grill a burger or a couple of sausages.......don't forget, it's Alaska in the winter, gets dark at 3PM and there's a LOT of snow! Gonna dig out the grill for one burger?? I don't think so! I've done boneless skinless chicken breasts too. Steaks have to go in the cast-iron skillet in the winter.....can't masecrate one of those guys.
    Sarge 569
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: George Foreman Grill 2005/03/16 22:18:30 (permalink)
    Use a GFG at work (butcher shop) found that the secret is to not clean it to often. The build-up helps leave char marks. I can get a good looking steak that is still rare and juicy, something that I couldn't do when I had one at home and cleaned after every use.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1