George's Famous Chili Dogs

Author
learning
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/12/03 12:55:48 (permalink)

George's Famous Chili Dogs

Anyone remember George's Famous Chili Dogs in Elizabeth, NJ ? It closed several years ago - I think it's a Subway now. Anyway, they had great dogs with Chili, mustard and raw onions. Some people called them Jelly dogs because of the consistency of the Chili sauce. I grew up on these and crave for them. Can anyone suggest a place similar or possibly have a recipe?

3 Replies Related Threads

GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: George's Famous Chili Dogs 2008/12/03 13:53:11 (permalink)
    Welcome to roadfood!

I do remember going to the place you mentioned a long time ago, I am sorry to hear that it closed down. While this area has a plethora of hot dog places, getting a good chili dog can take a little searching. I would recommend Galloping Hill or Mannys in Union. If you want to come a little west Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook is one of the best joints in the state!
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: George's Famous Chili Dogs 2008/12/03 15:33:16 (permalink)
    If you like your chili a little on the hot side, you can't go wrong at Father and Son, St. Georges Avenue, Linden, N.J.

The Bear
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: George's Famous Chili Dogs 2008/12/03 19:30:35 (permalink)
    I remember George's. He was the brother of Jerry, original owner of Jerry's Famous Frankfurters on Elizabeth Ave. & 2nd Ave. George's closed about 6 years ago and is now a Subway. George used the same natural casing Best frank as Jerry and prepared it the same way. Boiled, then grilled. Only difference was the chili. Jerry's has meat while George's had no meat and was spicier. I bought some once to take home and discovered that when the cup was left in the fridge, the chili concoction became coagulated. Jelly prefectly described the consistency.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1