Georgia Law

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Lavonnew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 01:46:59 (permalink)
There is a business located in Suwanee, GA called Shared Kitchens.  I've contacted them twice this week but they have not responded yet.

They have a setup with six kitchens to rent.
Here is a link to their site:

Seems like this would suit the purposes of the posters here.  Shared Kitchens must have had to follow all the same laws that you are talking about.

Anyone here had any contact with them?
Lavonnew
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 01:48:15 (permalink)
Oh - it seems you can't post a link.  Just check out: sharedkitchensdotcom
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10080
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 02:17:11 (permalink)
Lavonnew

Oh - it seems you can't post a link.  Just check out: sharedkitchensdotcom

Just put the www. in front of it:
www.sharedkitchens.com

farmboy236
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 07:54:36 (permalink)
Papadawg,
  Have you talked to your state legislator?  Call their office and tell them what you are running into.  They are getting paid to resolve issues like this, hold the B*****ds to it! 
Lavonnew
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 08:17:09 (permalink)
Thanks foodbyme!

farmboy236 - I like your attitude!
georgiadogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 10:40:52 (permalink)
i tried a couple years ago to find a catering facilty or some other liscensed kitchen to let me be like a branch of there business. you would have to take on a small partner but it might be worth it. I couldn't find a business that was interested so I ended up with a b&m.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 10:50:42 (permalink)
This post was started in 2008 geeeezzzzzzzzzzz this person is long gone.....................Billyb
JodyP
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
Re:Georgia Law 2010/07/02 11:31:49 (permalink)
Georgia is one tuff bird. They are now saying that if you are a mobile food vendor then you must own your own commissary. However a company called “Shared Kitchens” with a location in Sawnee GA and soon a new one in Decatur, GA has solved the problem by offering a membership kitchen. Their number is 770-945-9494. Also Google their website.  
Their rates are a lot less than the cost of a commercial kitchen and may work for you.
dougmarranci
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Atlanta Georgia Commissary Operation - Commercial Kitchen Catering Kitchen for rent? 2011/01/27 16:20:07 (permalink)
Hi all,

I am working on a project with an investor in Atlanta Georgia where we will try to take a huge warehouse space, and build out commissary and catering kitchens.  Kind of like a U-haul storage facility, separated and with roll up doors (inside and climate controlled) and  with the possibility of some shared kitchen space (as is operating in two other locations in the Atlanta Metro Area)

This would be working with the health dept to meet the minimum requirements for those who need it, up to a fully equipped commercial kitchen for those that needed that.

We are at the beginning of a feasibility study and if there is enough need for this, we hope to get it launched immediately!

Please give my any feedback you may have, thoughts opinions and needs are greatly appreciated!

Send a message through this forum, or give a call..

Thanks,

Doug Marranci
404-892-4999
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:Georgia Law 2011/01/27 16:50:57 (permalink)
I am also trying to get permitted in Atlanta. I live in Stockbridge and I've spoke to the health department about converting one of the rooms in my basement into a second kitchen and using this as my base of operation. The planning and building departments said if I submitted acceptable plans they could be approved. I am on public sewage and would not need separate sewage.

The Atlanta/Fulton County Health Department said that if Henry County permits my base of operation and my food truck, than they would honor the permit for the city of Atlanta.

I am working on the kitchen plans now as I need to provide 6 different sets, plumbing, electrical, etc..

reese77
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:Georgia Law 2011/01/27 16:53:01 (permalink)
P.S. The reason that the laws are so strict in GA is because the powers that be do not want an abundance of poor entrepreneurs stating profitable businesses on shoe string budgets. The laws help to protect the people that can afford to open fully operational restaurants.
JodyP
Cheeseburger
Re:Georgia Law 2011/01/28 14:03:06 (permalink)
The whole situation here is extremely frustrating. Bottom line is if you do not plan to invest money you are not going to be legal. Try and open up a new restaurant and see how many loops you have to jump through. The base of operation is considered by the state as a support area for the mobile food vendor. Not every piece of equipment you have on your trailer, truck or cart has to be duplicated in the base of operation. That being said you could set of a non cooking base of operation for around $15,000. One of the major cost is going to be installing a grease trap. Every county has a formula for the size you need, however, most require a minimum 1500 gallon tank if you are hooking up to their system. The cost of installing a 1500 grease trap w/ a non traffic lid is around $5000.00.
It seems that the law is written to put your investment as a mobile food vendor on the same level as small brick and mortar establishment. Considering we have close to $18,000 in our trailer we use for festivals and another $15,000 if we want a base of operation then arguably we have the same investment as a small sandwich shop. Also consider the fact that if we had purchased a trailer with cooking apparatus we would have close to $24,000 invested in the trailer.
Shared Kitchen Concepts is set up for caterers only. They do not have facilities for mobile food vendors.  We have looked high and low for an alternative but have yet to find one. The idea about leasing out separate areas may work. It definitely would be worth looking into. A common area for cleaning and maintaining the mobile units, common dump station, storage facilities for the units and separate kitchens for each vendor.
The best scenario would be to develop a business plan that the mobile unit(s) would be able to generate enough money to pay for the base of operations or simply stick to doing festivals like us an not worry about HD approval.  
We would be interested in your idea dougmarranci.
dougmarranci
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/05/09 22:24:09 (permalink)
We are moving forward with our project.  The preliminary website is www.CommercialKitchensForRent.net 

We have a facebook page where you can see more info about the project also.  Search for Independent Kitchen Solutions on Facebook, or see the links on the AtlantaKitchensForRent.com website.

There is a survey on the page where we would love to hear about what you are doing and what your needs are.

Look forward to meeting some of you in the near future!

There is more discussion about this project here on roadfood forums  search for Atlanta-GA-Food-truck-commissary-in-the-works

Thanks!
Doug 
post edited by dougmarranci - 2011/11/10 12:25:23
Vinnyga
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/11/10 12:19:45 (permalink)
Has anyone ever gotten a clear answer on this? I am still trying to get a clear understanding of Georgia HD requirements. I have been told you cannot share a kitchen unless the owner if the facility has a 50% partnership in the venture.

Wow. Loopholes anyone?
dougmarranci
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/11/10 12:45:16 (permalink)
Hi Vinny,

We are still working on our Food Truck/ Commissary Kitchen Project, as well as Shared Commercial Kitchens.

The project has been pushed into next year, but we are still trying.  We are also working on a project in Kennesaw set to open in the Spring.

CONSULT YOUR ATTORNEY IF YOU WANT TO THINK ABOUT THIS WORKAROUND.  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, THIS IS JUST WHAT I HAVE SEEN OTHERS DO!!!!!!

There is a loophole workaround that could work.  I have suggested this to many people, however they are too "secretive" to do this.
Let's say you get 4 people to go in together who want to share a kitchen space.  
Hire a capable CPA or an Accountant.
Form a company as an LLC IE: 4 Food Trucks Together, LLC
Each of the 4 have their own LLC for their business.
4 Food Trucks, LLC would be owned equally by each of the 4 individual LLC's 

That way, all of the trucks are owned by 1 corporation.
You will need the accountant to manage the books for the corporation, where responsibilities will be shared based on each sub corps earnings.  This keeps each companies taxes separate and accounted for.

Here is the problem.  You have to work with others that you trust, and have serious operating agreements set up between you.
The other problem is that NO ONE wants to share any of their financial info with anyone else. 
You would need a trusted group of entrepreneurs to even consider this situation.

I am not aware of any other way to make this work other than leasing a closed restaurant for your food truck.

We get 8 to 10 calls EVERY DAY from people who need a reasonably priced commissary kitchen.  That is why we are trying to get this project off the ground.  It is heartbreaking to hear so many stories of people who spent their 401K or moved here with a truck, only to find out that there are no options available yet.

If you do hear of any options available please let me know!

Best Regards,
Doug

Doug Marranci
Atlanta Restaurant Exchange

Independent Kitchen Solutions
Rental Kitchens For Culinary Entrepreneurs

lornaschinske
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/11/10 14:00:42 (permalink)
When we looked into setting up in North GA (Clayton in Rabun County) we were told that they did not want a for profit mobile food unit of any kind inside city limits. We were told (by HD) that we could probably set up around one of the lakes (no one there in winter). At the time, we were an open food cart. I still have the HD regs (2009 - haven't looked at them in years) but I don't think we will go back to GA and sell food there. I do seem to remember that the regs were more set up for a mobile kitchen. I don't think it called for a commissary if you were set up as a self contained mobile kitchen. When we sold at the Toccoa GA racetrack, we fell under the approval given to the racetrack (or so we were told).
Vinnyga
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/11/11 10:22:15 (permalink)
Thanks Doug. That might be difficult since I am out in the boonies here in N.Georgia.
Do you think if I lease a kitchen from a church I stand a chance?

Vince
Vinnyga
Junior Burger
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/11/17 09:45:31 (permalink)
I just had an update by the local HD.
If I use a church kitchen the church name must be on both the kitchen and cart health permits.

lornaschinske
Re:Georgia Law and Kitchen solutions in Atlanta GA 2011/11/17 12:00:54 (permalink)
The church might not like that. Some of the Southern Appalachian churches can be "picky" about where their name gets put. WHERE in N. GA are you? Might be able to better help if you are near the areas we used to frequent. I'm not putting out names willy-nilly!

Also ask your HD how to set up to where you do not need a commissary.
dougmarranci
Junior Burger
Commercial Kitchen - Possible Barter? 2011/11/18 09:19:27 (permalink)
Hi Vinny,

There is currently no way to go without a commissary.  Those rules are pretty much National now.  We have been searching for ways around this for a long time!

I would approach the church and see if they were willing to do a trade for services or accept payment or a dontation.  You would simply be using their food service permit if they would allow you to.   In this economy it is amazing what people can do regarding trade outs. 

Since it is some of the church members who probably need to make the decision, maybe you could cook something for them to bolster your position..  Everybody loves food..

Good Luck!

Doug Marranci
JodyP
Cheeseburger
Re:Commercial Kitchen - Possible Barter? 2011/11/29 09:13:01 (permalink)
In Fulton County, City of Atlanta, you can partner up with an existing restaurant and permit your unit as an extended mobile food unit. In Cherokee County you can exactly have a base of operations in your home if it meets certain guidelines. With the exception of Athens / Clarke County and Savannah most counties will not even talk with you.
If you plan on operating a mobile food unit in Atlanta the best thing to do is to hook up with the various food truck parks. They operate under a non profit festival permit and are exempt from HD requirements. I not sure how long this is going to last but so far its working.
The only downside I have seen with the food truck parks is that most of the trucks align themselves with the new street food culture and serve off the wall (gourmet) type of foods as compared with original street food items. The other problem is that a lot of the area restaurants have started operating their own food trucks and they usually get priority for spaces. Kind of kills the real street food movement involving small entrepreneurs operating small carts.
My advice is to find a local restaurant and work out some king of partnership to operate the mobile unit. Then find a couple of decent locations to set up Monday through Friday. (State says 2 only / Fulton County is allowing up to five). This way you can still get involved with some of the food parks and also have time to do festivals and special events on the weekend.  
lornaschinske
Re:Commercial Kitchen - Possible Barter? 2011/11/29 18:48:57 (permalink)
dougmarranci

Hi Vinny,

There is currently no way to go without a commissary.  Those rules are pretty much National now.  We have been searching for ways around this for a long time!

We didn't need a commissary in TX nor (currently) NM. Corpus Christi has us set up a s a "mobile Kitchen". We won't do a commissary again. If it comes to that, we will simply change what we do.
Melvinxx
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Georgia Law 2011/12/26 18:09:05 (permalink)
hello everyone, I am new to the board but I see that most are having the same problem. I am in the Paulding county area and would love to find someone to team with in a building to get my mobile unit permitted for the location I want to put it in. I am not aware of any of the concession laws that make this an easy transition but it seems like Georgia does not want mobile venders making money legally. If there is any one in this area interested in teaming up for building and permit purposes only or if you have a restaurant already in this county and would be interested in renting me the access to get my permits, I would love to talk with you about this. My main product is BBQ and I do not want to go in partnership, I just need the access to a current restaurant to use for approval of my mobile unit under your name. It must be in Paulding County. If your restaurant is suffering from needed cash flow, we can help each other. Call Melvin at 678 531 9892 or email me at melvincummings@hotmail.com. Also, if you plan to open a restaurant, lets work together because Georgia has no help and little compassion for mobile units trying to get set up. All ideas are welcome if you are in Paulding County.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1