Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6196
2008/09/06 07:35:41 (permalink)

Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey

The latest edition of the Star Ledger's Munchmobile dining report listed favorites...and one roadfood place was a barbecue place in Lebanon Twp. on Rt. 31. We haven't heard reports of great barbecue in New Jersey....I make due with Famous Dave's locally....Has anyone of my fellow Jersey Roadfooders heard of this place. One reviewer called it "the Best!!" Seems they smoke it themselves and they use a barbecue sauce from Amish Country. Now there's one I never heard before....I'd like some feedback....I include the article here from the paper...Scroll down 'til you get to the section about Georgie Porgie's.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2008/09/munchmobile_best_spots.html

5 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6196
    RE: Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey 2008/09/06 07:49:22 (permalink)
    Doing more research on this place,I found these two reviews from Chowhound.....Thwere must be some Roadfooders out there who've tried it,or heard comments??
    Here's the Chowhound reviews.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/515773
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey 2008/09/06 16:50:58 (permalink)
    My parents stopped there, on the way to a family function in Glen Gardner, a few weeks ago.

Now, with the disclaimer that the reason I escaped from home, and learned all about great food, is because my parents are not exactly a great collective authority on the subject. I love them dearly...but ya know, Tim & Nina Zagat, they are not.

With that, Mom & Dad loved it!!
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey 2008/09/06 17:50:42 (permalink)
    Lee,
    I've eaten there several times, and although I fully admit I know nothing about great BBQ, I found it quite good. They have a smoker trailer on site and everything else is served out of a concession trailer. I had the pulled pork sandwich twice and the brisket sandwich once, both were very good. I picked up a menu and the number is
    (908) 625-4518 and the hours listed are Tues-Sun 11am-7pm. I don't know about winter hours I ate there over the summer while I was still working in the area. There is also a very good hot dog push cart next door called Poppys and the guy who runs it has an amazing homemade garlic and parsley relish. Hope this helps.

Dave

p.s. I was flipping through a local community paper that is published by the Asbury Park Press and they had a story about 4 BBQ joints local to the Monmouth/Ocean County area. The Memphis Pig Out in Atlantic Highlands, D & L Bar-B-Cue in Asbury Park, The Hickory Hog in Point Pleasant and Ben's Extreme BBQ Smokehouse and Grill in Bayville and Forked River.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1587
    RE: Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey 2008/09/12 10:27:24 (permalink)
    I had a day off yesterday and it was a nice day so I took a ½ hour drive out to Rt 31. I had passed thru there about a month ago and noticed Georgie Porgie’s, and being urged on by the good review in Munchmobile and what I’ve read here, this was my destination.

I had the brisket sandwich/baked beans/soda combo, $7.00. The price was very reasonable even though the sandwich was a little on the small side. The brisket was very good, absolutely no fatty or gristly slices, all uniformly tender and tasty. The small cup of beans was OK, nothing special.

Sharing the same roadside lot is Poppy’s Hot Dogs. I had one “Killer Dog”, $1.60, which is a hot dog with onion sauce and Poppy’s special sauce. He said it was an Argentinean Recipe, but I forget what he called it. It resembled a very garlicky pesto sauce. I can’t say I’d eat 5 of them, but it made for a very different and unique taste. I also had a Chili dog (also $1.60). The chili was on the sweet side but good. I prefer a little spicy, but that’s a matter of taste. The dogs were standard issue Berks.

Both Georgie Porgie’s and Poppy’s have friendly owners. Both places are welcome additions to the New Jersey Roadside scene. Having them both in the same spot is a bonus. Both hope to be there at least thru the end of November.

Loaded down with Brisket, Beans, and 2 hot dogs, before heading home I drove over to Round Valley Reservoir, and took a good walk on the trail by the lake. The beach and trail are very peaceful in the off season. I’d never go near there in the summer.

jessiemai
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Georgie Porgies in Good Old New Jersaey 2008/09/30 19:10:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for that review of Georgie Porgies. I've been passing this place whenever I go fishing, for over a year now. I've always wanted to stop, but haven't bothered. Next time I'm down that way, I'm stopping in! Good to hear they'll be there through November.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1