German chocolate cookies?

Author
zeebaneighba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
2007/12/15 09:21:24 (permalink)

German chocolate cookies?

Hello and first-time poster on Roadfood.com! I am a long-time fan of Jane and Michael Stern and their books, and devoted to all the great restaurants, diners, etc. that keep all the great road food going.

I thought this would be a good place to post a question that has nagged me for years! Way back in the early 1970s, my mother used to buy a kind of German chocolate cookie (I think that was part of the brand name). I want to say they were made by Keebler, but I could be wrong. They were delicious, especially for a packaged cookie. A light chocolate cookie with a vanilla cream frosting, and some kind of crumble on top. As an 8-year-old kid, I could easily eat a whole bag! (The metabolism isn't what it used to be...)

Of course, they are no longer available (!) I just wondered if anyone else remembered these, who made them, etc. I have searched other places online with no luck so far.

Take care and for those of us in the Midwest in particular, stay warm!

3 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: German chocolate cookies? 2007/12/15 10:14:06 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood!

I don't remember them, but this website does: http://www.inthe70s.com/food/keeblersgermanchocolatecookies0.shtml

Although this recipe makes a soft cookie, rather than a crunchy one, here is a super-easy recipe for German Chocolate cookies adapted from one which originally appeared on a Pillsbury cake mix box:

2 eggs, lightly mixed
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 box 18 oz. German Chocolate cake mix
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2-3/4 can 12 oz. to 15 oz. frosting

Heat oven to 37oF. In a large bowl combine eggs, oil and cake mix; stir until thoroughly moistened. Shape dough into 1” balls; place 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten balls to about 1/4” with the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in flour. Bake at 375oF. for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Frost cookies and let frosting set. Store in tightly covered container. Makes 30 to 36 cookies.
    zeebaneighba
    Hamburger
    RE: German chocolate cookies? 2007/12/15 10:20:05 (permalink)
    Wow, and thanks for the welcome! That recipe looks promising and I appreciate it. I'll bet I could come up with something for the frosting...and I swear, I do remember the other packaged cookies!

Isn't it interesting how our childhood memories can be so linked to food? Proust was right on target.

zeebaneighba
    Hamburger
    RE: German chocolate cookies? 2007/12/21 23:07:10 (permalink)
    Well, I finally found confirmation of my childhood memory! BTW, this is an interesting site in which to poke around:

http://www.inthe70s.com/food/keeblersgermanchocolatecookies0.shtml
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1