The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Getting specific with Jacksonville

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
Getting specific with Jacksonville Thu, 11/21/13 3:18 PM (permalink)
Friends, I'll be in Jacksonville in a couple of Saturdays and am looking for a place to visit with what might be a large group.  Our family will be doing some exploring in the morning and early afternoon and will visit 2-3 places in the northeast and Jax Beach areas.  But then we will be meeting a friend who lives on the southwest side of town, sort of in the chain wasteland between Orange Park and Westside, and, probably, several of his friends, for a late afternoon of gaming.  I don't know how many people total we'll have - as few as six and as many as fourteen, including our toddler, so it must be a baby-friendly place.

On previous trips, we have visited Brewer's Pizza, which was great, and a Gators Dockside, which was not.  But ideally for the group, it should be something from a non-national chain that can accommodate our party, and be on this side of town, probably not north of I-10.  Any ideas, or are we going to end up at Denny's?

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
    Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 8:24 AM (permalink)
    Been a while since I've visited JAX restos but I'd suggest Beach Road Chicken, which is on Atlantic before the Bridge Expressway.  Closer to Jax Beach is is Billy's Boathouse on Beach Blvd near the marina, which should be able to handle larger groups and if nice you can sit outside.  Across the marina is CrazyFish.  Haven't eaten there but they do offer boat tours of the area on a pontoon/party barge type boat, which might be an fun thing to do with a group.  And of course you can always hike up to Mayport (not that far away) and go to Singleton's Seafood Shack just before the ferry.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
      Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
      I second the Singleton's Seafood Shack. Try their Minorcan clam chowder.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
        Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
        If Jacksonville is supposed to be where the Glee Club is going come February, I was hoping those who want to go there would have some recommendations.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 11:12 AM (permalink)
          MH
          It appears the OP is looking for recommendations in the SW part of town.
          Many of the restaurants for the proposed Jacksonville Glee Club event will be either in an entirely different area of Jacksonville or in St Augustine.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
            Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
            WJ, since you mentioned St. Augustine, the Prince of Wales (if it's still open) is a pretty good place. Authentic English fare served by real Brits.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 11:42 AM (permalink)
              wanderingjew

MH
              Many of the restaurants for the proposed Jacksonville Glee Club event will be either in an entirely different area of Jacksonville or in St Augustine.

Thanks for the information. I've been to Jacksonville, and I'd really need a fantastic reason to ever want to return.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 11:47 AM (permalink)
                Michael Hoffman

wanderingjew

MH

Thanks for the information. I've been to Jacksonville, and I'd really need a fantastic reason to ever want to return.

I think St Augustine is as good enough as any....

Michael Hoffman

Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                  Well, I've been to St. Augustine, too. Other than its historic significance I don't recall anything that might recommend it.

Heartbreaksoup

Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 12:55 PM (permalink)
                    This looks like, sadly, another instance where I have attempted a very specific question because of a very specific set of needs and failed to make myself clear.  Thanks for reading between the lines, WJ.

To re-emphasize: we will be on the southwest side of town.  What I need, for dinner, is a place for up to fourteen in the Westside or Orange Park neighborhoods.  I cannot ask or expect my host and his other guests to drive from the lower end of Blandings Blvd to Jacksonville Beach or St Augustine in a convoy of what could be five or six cars just to indulge my out-of-town whims.  Can anybody help with this area of town?

Michael Hoffman

Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 1:25 PM (permalink)
                      Heartbreaksoup

This looks like, sadly, another instance where I have attempted a very specific question because of a very specific set of needs and failed to make myself clear.  Thanks for reading between the lines, WJ.

You made yourself quite clear. That's why I thought there might be some recommendations from those who wanted to go to Jacksonville.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Fri, 11/22/13 1:35 PM (permalink)
                        HBS

If SE Jacksonville (Mandarin) isn't too long of a Haul, I really enjoyed my visit to Clark's Fish Camp back in 2005. It's been 8 years so I was hesitant to recommend it.

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                          Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Sat, 11/23/13 8:15 AM (permalink)
                          wanderingjew

HBS

If SE Jacksonville (Mandarin) isn't too long of a Haul, I really enjoyed my visit to Clark's Fish Camp back in 2005. It's been 8 years so I was hesitant to recommend it.

I would not recommend Clark's

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Sat, 11/23/13 9:18 AM (permalink)
                            jaylhorner

wanderingjew

HBS

I would not recommend Clark's

Like I said,. I haven't been to Clark's  in 8 years when I did go, on a random Tuesday night, the place was packed.. I know TTM had been there too and liked it. They still have 4 stars on yelp 

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
                              Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Mon, 11/25/13 7:34 AM (permalink)
                              My apologies HBS, for pointing you to the wrong side of town.  I'm not that familar with the westside or Orange Park area and would agree that most of what I hear mirrors your comments on chain restos.  On another board there is a mention of Santioni's on  Park Avenue just south of the inlet bridge.  Not a diner place.  And I've never eaten not talked to any one who has eaten there.   Maybe google it and see some reviews if you're inclined to do so.  But otherwise you'd have to settle for one of the local pizzerias. 

bigd

• Total Posts: 46
                                Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Thu, 11/28/13 12:39 AM (permalink)
                                Having lived in JAX for 12 years, I would say skip it and either go to St. Augustine or forget it. It is a horrible food town with dumbed down palates. It is all about quantity not quality. There have been several attempts at interesting restaurants and they never make it because of the non-discriminating public.

dobrosky98

• Total Posts: 26
                                  Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Sun, 12/1/13 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                  I don't live on that side of town, but have eaten at a few places out that way.  Cedar River Seafood is on Blanding Blvd and has pretty good food. We have also eaten at The Country Cabin on Blanding Blvd. This is a homestyle southern place. Both places are laid back and should have room for a group and are family friendly places. You might even catch a glimpse of some of the fellows from Lynyrd Skynrd at The Country Cabin. Hope this helps!

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                                    Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Sun, 12/1/13 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                    I always enjoy Metro Diner for breakfast. One is on San Jose, one is in San Marco area and there is a new one on the westside.  Have always had a good meal there.  Enjoy Singleton's at the ferry.  Clark's is ok.  Whitey's was disappointing last time.  All you can eat catfish was overcooked.  I enjoy Osteens, Salt Water Cowboy, Oasis and Barbara Jean's for seafood in the St. Augustine area.  Still like Beach Road Fried Chicken.  

Heartbreaksoup

Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Tue, 12/3/13 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                      Dobrosky98, thanks!  Country Cabin is definitely on the list of possibilities for our group now.

Heartbreaksoup

Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Tue, 12/17/13 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                        Just to close off this story, there was a small enough group to warrant a trip north into the city proper, to Hamburger Mary's.  I may be back in Jacksonville in September and hope to visit Beach Road then.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                          Re:Getting specific with Jacksonville Wed, 12/18/13 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                          I am not fond of St. Augustine, which is highly touristy. 
                                          I had brunch a few months ago at the Sand Dollar on the water. Northern part of JAX, on road to Ameiia Island. Good food, ambience, views. They also handle private parties/groups if you like.
                                          http://sandollarrestaurantjax.com
                                          http://sandollarrestauran...om/PrivateParties.aspx

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com