Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline?

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
2013/12/03 14:06:01 (permalink)

Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline?

In stark contrast to my "specific" thread about Jacksonville, I have begun planning a day trip to Montgomery AL.  This area (and the stretch of I-85 we'll take to get here) is very underrepresented on our blog (Marie, Let's Eat!, don'tcha know), but I have learned today that two of the four places that I had on our list to visit (with a fifth TBD) are closed on Saturday.  Well, that stinks.

So here's where we've been in this area before:

Ms. Story's Dairy Bar, Opelika
Toomer's Drugs, Auburn
Chris's Hot Dogs, Montgomery
Hog Rock BBQ, Wetumpka

...and here's where we are considering this trip:

Fat Boys BBQ Ranch, Prattville
Chuck's BBQ, Opelika

Closed on Saturdays: Commerce St Soda Shoppe, Hamburger King

Honestly, is there anything else in Montgomery that's worth the trip and open on a Saturday (classic BBQ, walk-up dairy bars, good greasy spoons, anything of interest at all), or should we just go to Birmingham or Huntsville again instead?  I would wish to visit at least five and preferably six restaurants to get good content for our blog to make the trip worthwhile.  Many thanks.

10 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/03 18:51:47 (permalink)
    You have covered most of the good places that I remember.  Since you plan to go on a Saturday, most of the meat & threes I remember will probably be closed.  Better to hit I-20W to Birmingham.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/04 22:33:28 (permalink)
    Giving this a bump so that our local, will_work_4_bbq, will hopefully see this thread.  She is the one who pointed me to Hamburger King and it was well worth it.

Since you did say getting very general.....

My favorite restaurant in town was Isaiah's, a wonderful little soul food restaurant in a B & B, but it recently closed it's doors.  A few other places I have enjoyed are Mrs. B's Home Cooking, Martin's and Jubilee Seafood.    
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7670
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/04 22:36:15 (permalink)
    I'm still teary eyed over the demise of Isaiah's
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/04 22:36:39 (permalink)
    Oh yeah and this place north of Montgomery makes terrific peach ice cream and pie.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/05 16:56:18 (permalink)
    If you are going to peach park you might as well hit Durbin Farms too, although peaches are out of season, the ice cream is always good.

Durbin Farms
    X208 of I-65
    jomackiewicz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/05 18:23:52 (permalink)
    Popsicles at Overall Company in Opelika.
    Pannie George's Kitchen in Auburn.

will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/05 21:33:40 (permalink)
    Well......Montgomery is not THE top roadfood destination in Alabama!  That being said, there are some good places so you won't go hungry.  Yes, Hamburger King is closed on Saturdays, but if you go Mon - Fri, you need to get there before 2pm.  Good classic burger!  I also second Martin's, and it will be open Sat and Sun.  Get there before the church crowd on Sun or you will not get in.  There is another place in Montgomery for meat and three called Martha's Place - out on the Atlanta Highway between exits 9 and 11 of I-85.  It is a good place ala Martin's and Isaiah's.  
    I hate that Isaiah's closed and that the Hotel Talisi in Tallassee burned.  Both were outstanding.  Yes, Peach Park is a fun (and delicious) stop, north of Montgomery at exit 205.  Cobbler!  Glad to hear you will hit Chuck's in Auburn.  Decent barbecue.  Don't get their "chipped" bbq sandwich even though it is buy-one-get-one-free.  The meat is kind of minced up and soaked in sauce.  Get the chopped so you can sauce it yourself and enjoy the flavor of the meat.  Closed on Sunday.
    Have a great trip!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/06 08:07:14 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, Martin's does not appear to be open on Saturdays either, per both their Facebook and this page:  http://www.montgomeryrestaurants.com/Restaurants/Profile/Martins-Restaurant  .

Peach Park and Durbin Farms are too far out of the way, but the other suggestions are all great ones.  Thanks, everybody.  The Overall Company seems particularly interesting.  I'm quite curious to try a bottle of Liefman's cherry beer...
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/06 08:27:56 (permalink)
    HBS-
    If you decide to visit Martin's and care about having pie for dessert, get there early.  On both of my previous visits, they had run out.

ww4b-
    I didn't know that Martha's Place was still in business.  They must have moved.  Finding their (apparent) downtown restaurant closed, I put in closest restaurants in my GPS and Isaiah's came up, which is how I first found the place.  Next visit to Montgomery will definitely include Martha's!
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 190
    Re:Getting very general with Montgomery - worth the gasoline? 2013/12/06 08:51:44 (permalink)
    Martha's is open Saturday and Sunday.

mike
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1