Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
2013/07/02 22:30:29 (permalink)

Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago

I am as many would say a War of Northern Aggression nut.  (There was nothing 'Civil' about that war.  I have been following the 150th Anniversary events since 2011, and this week brings us to the two most decisive victories of the war.

Gettysburg in the East with over 51,000 casualties between the two armies and the Fall of Vicksburg with over 19,000 between the two. 

Bringing July 1-2-3 & 4 as some of the bloodiest days in US history.

With Lee's defeat at Gettysburg, his army stopped it's northern campaign and went back across the potomac and dug in to fight a more defensive campaign for the remaining 2 years of the War of Northern Agression.

The July 4th Surrender of Vicksburg and the July 9th surrender of Port Hudson, LA cut the southern supply lines in the south, west and central portions of the south, severely hampering any effort and material from reaching southern troops.

Twas a long and bloody war, Good men and boys were lost on both sides of the conflict.  Take a moment to think about the Battle of Gettysburg and all those who fell.

8 Replies Related Threads

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/02 23:10:35 (permalink)
    Interesting take....since the North never seceded. but yes...these next few days cost Americans on both sides way too many lives, as did the whole war.

Maybe we just need to slide a few miles south of Gettysburg and get some of CTF's good food at Chubby's
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6187
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/02 23:45:55 (permalink)
    CajunKing

I am as many would say a War of Northern Aggression nut.  (There was nothing 'Civil' about that war.  I have been following the 150th Anniversary events since 2011, and this week brings us to the two most decisive victories of the war.

Gettysburg in the East with over 51,000 casualties between the two armies and the Fall of Vicksburg with over 19,000 between the two. 

With Lee's defeat at Gettysburg, his army stopped it's northern campaign and went back across the potomac and dug in to fight a more defensive campaign for the remaining 2 years of the War of Northern Agression.

The July 4th Surrender of Vicksburg and the July 9th surrender of Port Hudson, LA cut the southern supply lines in the south, west and central portions of the south, severely hampering any effort and material from reaching southern troops.

Twas a long and bloody war, Good men and boys were lost on both sides of the conflict.  Take a moment to think about the Battle of Gettysburg and all those who fell.

....don't think the enslaved in the south would quite see it your way!!
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/03 10:36:55 (permalink)
    Re: The War of Northern Aggression: I think the fact that the Confederate leaders involved (men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee,  P.G.T. Beauregard, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Raphael Semmes and Judah P. Benjamin) themselves referred to it in their writings before and during as “civil war” makes for a strong argument against later attempts by Southerners to rename it.  I suggest you read the Museum of the Confederacy’s excellent examination of the “war between the names” written by Confederate historian John M. Coski  in the January 2006 issue of North & South.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/03 10:47:07 (permalink)
    Here is an original Calvary Officers Rig. ...Russ

SodaDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/05 18:51:28 (permalink)
    leethebard

CajunKing

....don't think the enslaved in the south would quite see it your way!!

Maybe.  The enslaved in the North might see it that way, though, since even by the time of the Battle of Gettysburg, none of the legislatures of the Union's six slave-holding states had yet prohibited the practice of slavery.  ;)

Considering that there were slave states fighting for the preservation of the Union, it seems more like the war was about a difference of opinion over the right to secede, as opposed to the right to own slaves, even if slavery was what first triggered the secession debate.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3888
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/05 21:30:54 (permalink)
    Regardless of the side, it really caused me to think when I toured "The Wilderness" in Virginia. So peaceful now, but areas like that and Gettysburg were sites of some of the bloodiest battles ever. For someone on the West Coast where there are no signs of the War, it is really an eye-opener to see these battlefields in person and think about the losses on both sides.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6622
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/05 23:29:02 (permalink)
    We were there on June 19, just on the cusp of the hoopla that would take place 2 weeks later on the 150th anniversary.  Looking at those beautiful green fields with the replicas of the original wooden fences, it was hard to imagine them littered with dead bodies and blood.  Over 600,000 men dead in four years of battle during the Civil War.  Does make you stop and think. 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:Gettysburg - 150 Years Ago 2013/07/06 21:06:47 (permalink)
    I wasnt trying to start a thread about the rights or wrongs of the war, more that the fact that

In 3 days time more american men were killed than during the entire vietnam war.  it was horrible for either side.

my point was to remind people that those 3 days were very costly to us as Americans.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1