Gettysburg Pa

Author
lb18532
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2011/06/09 21:07:19 (permalink)

Gettysburg Pa

I plan on taking a trip down to Gettysburg this summer any suggestions for eats in the area??
I know I won't be let down every time I ask I get nothing but good recommendations . 
Thanks. 

12 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/09 21:18:45 (permalink)
    It has been about six years, but we had a really good meal at Farnsworth House.  I fondly remember the game pie, spoonbread and pumpkin fritters.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/09 21:31:24 (permalink)
    Our favorite is the Dobbin  House.  The  French onion soup is the best.  If you  decided that you want to spend the money in  the main dining room,  the prime rib  and  the  crab avocado appetizer  are outstanding.  The downstairs tavern  is  great..........less expensive and great atmosphere there, too.

If you do go there,  you  should  check out  where the slaves  escaping  from the  South were hidden...............................I  just  really love this place.
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/09 21:41:15 (permalink)
    You could check out Ernie's Texas Lunch (scroll down)
    Also, I think there was a long thread on Gettysburg here at one time.  Do a quick search and you'll get long list of detailed recommendations - I don't get the sense the restaurant scene changes much in old G-burg. 

BTW - at Ernies, I don't remember much about the food.  But I do recall that when we were done, the bill was tiny - maybe $18 for 2 adults, 2 kids.  I reach in my pocket, no $$$ (place is cash only).  No problem, I should have about $7K in the debit account - so across to the cash machine.  No luck!!  Someone had cleaned out my checking account from Romania.  And I owed Ernie's some dough.  They were nice enough to let me go on my promise and their business card in my pocket.    

It all worked out - but they could have made me wash dishes...and that makes me want to go back!  
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/09 22:38:37 (permalink)
    I always recommend Tommy's Pizza across Steinwehr Ave. from the battlefield.They dont have any prime rib or French Onion Soup,but what they do have (Pizza,sandwiches,wings,much more) is top notch and prices are very reasonable.

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/10 08:13:00 (permalink)
    A 15 mile drive down Route 15 will take you nto Chubby's, a great Roadfood place, with lots of delicious food.    http://chubbysbbq.com/
    post edited by Greymo - 2011/06/10 08:50:59
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 721
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/10 09:59:32 (permalink)
    Greymo

A 15 mile drive down Route 15 will take you nto Chubby's, a great Roadfood place, with lots of delicious food.    http://chubbysbbq.com/
    I will second Chubby's.

And if you have any interest, just before you reach the Maryland line on the way to Chubby's is Keystone Fireworks, were you can purchase the good stuff. They won't let you in the store with PA identification, but since you're coming from NY, you could purchase.

WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/10 10:10:30 (permalink)
    Greymo

A 15 mile drive down Route 15 will take you nto Chubby's, a great Roadfood place, with lots of delicious food.   

Is this place visible from or have any signage on 15?  I travel that way at least once a year and never noticed it.  My loss.  Have to keep a better eye out next time.
    ed
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4568
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/10 10:16:30 (permalink)
    WarmBeer

Greymo

A 15 mile drive down Route 15 will take you nto Chubby's, a great Roadfood place, with lots of delicious food.   

Is this place visible from or have any signage on 15?  I travel that way at least once a year and never noticed it.  My loss.  Have to keep a better eye out next time.
    ed

About 5 miles over the Mason-Dixon, on your left heading south.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=643789
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/10 10:30:07 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

It has been about six years, but we had a really good meal at Farnsworth House.  I fondly remember the game pie, spoonbread and pumpkin fritters.

Buffetbuster

I have Farnsworth House on my radar for my visit to Gettysburg in August. I'll have time for two meals there and I'm still doing research for my second meal option.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/10 12:25:55 (permalink)
    Although its been a while, my family really enjoyed dinner at Farnworth House.

Walt
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/11 20:08:51 (permalink)
    Hello all ,
    Hey Larry these are all great choices you cant go wrong buddy

Benzee
    catwoman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Gettysburg Pa 2011/06/13 11:50:05 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone,
    I went to Gettysburg in May 2010 and here is what I wrote, hope this helps.
    Hi All,
    Back from my trip and took some of your great suggestions. Let me start with Gettysburg

First A Big Hello to the friendly folks at Chubby's Barbeque just south of Gettysburg in Emmitsburg Md chubbysbbq.com. This place is how can I say it "Comfortable" and I mean it in only the best way. I felt like a long lost Aunt when I walked in the door. It's not modern, it's not slick its comfortable. I liked that it opens at 11:00 am as I tend to get up and out early and skip breakfast like I did this day. So I was hungry when I walked in. I started with a cup of cream of crab soup which was rich and yummy. I went with the Beef Brisket Platter which was fall apart tender. Sauces are on the table for you to chose your favorite or try all like I did. I had cornbread and potato salad as my sides and they were good but the owner brought over the Chubby's fried potatoes with sausage bits and onion which was wonderful. I could not even finish the meat and the owner did tell me they so give you more than the 1/2 lb as listed on the menu. Do yourself a favor make sure you stop at Chubby's. My rating 1-5. 5 Purrs >^..^<

Springhouse Tavern: located in the basement of the Dobbin House Tavern. Very popular place. Since I was a single diner I tried to go to dinner a little earlier. This place was packed but I seated quickly and not made to feel awkward dining by myself. They really have you seated close together but the food was so good who cares. I had the Baked King's Onion soup that was the best I have ever tasted. I could have taken it by IV. Just when you thought you finished with the cheesy goodness a surprise of tender beef chunks were in the bottom. For my entree I had the Char-grilled marinated chicken breast which had a nice char taste of grilling. Salad and baked potato came with the meal. 5 Purrs >^..^<

Farnsworthhouse Tavern: I came here for dinner on a Tuesday night at around 6pm. For some reason the inside dining was closed but they were serving outside in a covered patio garden. I was grilled by the waitress if I had a reservation which I didn't and then told I could look at the menus on the wall to decide if I would be ordering from the tavern or the dining room menu and then I stood and waited. Ok maybe she was busy but 1/2 the table were empty in the patio. So there I stood contemplating should I leave or not when she finally seated me. Anyway I did order the game pie and was not impressed. To me it was very bland. You did get spoon bread which was almost like polenta and then a white mini loaf of bread called a Jenny Wade Bread. Something else was suppose to come with it as my waitress told me when she brought my dinner to me but I never got it so I don't know what it was. Anyway, another waitress and a busboy came in as it got later and more diners were appearing but I had to wait for my check and really was disappointed in my experience here.
    2 1/2 Purrs >^.

Appalachain Brewing Company (ABC): This is located on the outskirts of town on the Quality Inn and General Lee's Headquarters. First I stayed at this motel (very good but no fridge in room) and the museum at General Lee's headquarters was small but very interesting. I went to lunch at the ABC and had the Hog Wild sandwich which was very good. The sauce was made with their homemade rootbeer which was slightly sweet but I liked it. I am not a beer drinker but hmm brewery, I can walk to my room , so I had a beer with my sandwich. I picked the Expresso Stout. a dark smooth not heavy necter of the gods. No kidding the beer was delicious. I bought a 12 pack of assorted beers for my friend who was babysitting my cats and he raved about the beer and he is a "Bud" guy. 4 Purrs >^..^

Mountain Gate Family Restaurant Thurmont, MD, Dinner was included in my tour of Washington DC with Dayton Tours. ( This is a wonderful tour if you don't want to do the driving in DC). It was family style buffet which suited our group on the bus fine. Since it was early in the season there was only 10 of us plus the guide and driver on the bus and we all sat and ate together. I had 2 kinds of chicken both were fresh and tender, nice choice of veggies and then the desserts were so overwhelming I had pudding. 3 3/4 Purrs >^..

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1