The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010

catwoman

• Total Posts: 40
Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Tue, 04/6/10 6:42 PM (permalink)
Going to be in  Gettysburg for 4 days and Lancaster area for 3 1/2 days. Traveling alone so I don't want any family style seating. Like all kinds of food. Would like to try some real Amish cooking but I would be happy with a real good charcoal cheeseburger.  Love some suggestions including breakfast. Thanks

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2933
    Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 8:46 AM (permalink)
    If you like bbq, head right over the PA/MD border to Chubby's. You won't be disappointed. I think Tom could make you up a damn fine cheeseburger, too, if you wanted.

MiamiDon

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 10:56 AM (permalink)

catwoman

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 11:43 AM (permalink)
        Thanks Mosca and MiamiDon,
            I will make Chubby a must stop on my trip.

pacman

• Total Posts: 160
          Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 12:47 PM (permalink)
          In Gettysburg, try Ernies Texas Lunch for Hot Dogs, Lincoln Diner (old fashioned diner), both are right off the square downtown. 

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
            Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 1:08 PM (permalink)
            Diener's on hwy 30 E. of Lancaster has good, simple Amish food at reasonable prices. I also like Good & Plenty for a hearty dinner served family style, so you meet some nice folks while you are eating. When you are on your own, I think family style seating is nice for a change.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
              Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 1:38 PM (permalink)
              Try The Pub on Lincoln Square in Gettysburg.  Really good french onion soup.  The onion rings are great too.  I was there on a trip for work, (with someone I can't stand to be with), but the atmosphere of the restaurant was nice.    Also, for breakfast or lunch, there is a wonderful cafe in Carlisle called the Sunnyside or something close to that.  They had a really nice selection and all their food was fresh.  Went there (with person I can't stand again) for lunch one day.  Good crabcake sandwiches.

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 1:41 PM (permalink)
                I've enjoyed fine family-style Amish meals at Good n' Plenty in Smoketown several times.

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                  Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 4:03 PM (permalink)
                    In G'burg you should always go to Tommy's Pizza on Steinwehr Ave across from the Battlefield.Its a basic sub shop-pizza-fried food place that does it all quite well at reasonable prices,year after year.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                    Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 4:37 PM (permalink)
                    Eat in the tavern dowstairs at the Dobbin House.  The atmosphere is wonderful  and they make an amazing french onion  soup.  It is fun to sit at the bar there.  (And Chubby's is great: tell Tom that you are on Roadfood and you will get a wonderful "welcome" as well as some delicious food.
                    <message edited by Greymo on Wed, 04/7/10 4:39 PM>

WhoopiePie

• Total Posts: 14
                      Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 4:58 PM (permalink)
                      Lancaster recommendations:

I second the suggestion of Dienner's. 

I recommend Bird-in-Hand Family restaurant in the town of Bird-in-Hand (along Rt. 340)...especially for B-I-H's breakfast.  They offer a breakfast buffet which gives you the option of trying some PA Dutch offerings without the complete commitment of a dedicated order (i.e. scrapple or cornmeal mush).

Stoltzfus' Farm Restaurant in the village of Intercourse has good authentic PA Dutch cooking, too.  The restaurant is even located in an actual farmhouse.  No family style seating here but the meal is served family style.

I agree that Good & Plenty along Rt. 896 is excellent.  While I understand the aversion to family style eating with a bunch of strangers, I have often said that their PA Dutch food is probably as authentic as you will get outside of a local's dinner table.

Shady Maple is also good but about 10-15 miles east of Lancaster.
                      <message edited by WhoopiePie on Wed, 04/7/10 5:00 PM>

chainsaw

• Total Posts: 22
                        Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/7/10 7:04 PM (permalink)
                        hunt's cafe, right downtown, has really good cheesesteaks and fries... and the owners are INCREDIBLY friendly!  appalachian brewing company has a great atmosphere and some pretty good food too!  hope this helps!

sunnyflies

• Total Posts: 1
                          Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Tue, 04/13/10 11:22 PM (permalink)
                           A few years ago I located a real Amish farm to stay on in that area through a google search, you might try finding it. Some of the Amish take in a few B & B guests to stay in what is called the Doty House, a wing of their farmhouses in which the grandparents used to be housed when they retired. 

My son and I stayed there three days while we explored the area you are going to and were given the most wonderful, big breakfasts brought to us by the kids each morning. The kids were happily barefoot even though it was a nipppy October long weekend. The house was located about half a mile back from the paved road down a long drive, and there were just three rooms available. We were the only guests there at that time. Buggies would pass down the driveway outside our window, it was an amazing experience. 
                          We had the sense that they were as curious about us as we were about them, although all of us were respectful when we spoke. One thing I can say, there is nothing cleaner than an Amish house. 

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                            Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/14/10 7:29 AM (permalink)
                            DIENNER'S is the place...actually run my mennonites and Amish..we have Amish friends who work there!!!!! I like Plain and Fancy a little better than Good & Plenty, It's on 340....And Miller's on Rt 30 is a buffet of delicious food...including all the shrimp(served three ways) you can eat. Their chocolate pecan pie is so good, you'll be shipping one home!  Shady Maple is gigantic...but only avaerage food....did not like Stoltzfus...served us canned green beans!!!! We've gone to Amish country every three months or so for over 20 years,,,It clenses the mind ,,,,We've made friends with an Amish couple and visit often...even they eat at Dienner's....it's the BEST of the lot if you want authentic and all you can eat...desserts are home made...and their mashed potatos aree unlike any I've ever had...If you go. let us know what you thought!!
                                 Also, if you need accomodations, Amish View on 340 has great rooms at great prices and is a classy modern place...their complimentary Breakfast is extensive and well worth the stay!!!
                            <message edited by leethebard on Wed, 04/14/10 7:32 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/14/10 7:55 AM (permalink)
                              I really enjoyed Farnsworth House in Gettysburg.  Everything was good, but the more unusual items like peanut soup, pumpkin fritters and spoon bread were my favorites.

http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com/

And like leethebard, I thought Plain & Fancy was better than Good & Plenty.
                              <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 04/14/10 7:56 AM>

leethebard

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/14/10 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                http://www.dienners.com/

Here's Dienner's Website...While they have a regular menu...go for the buffet...sample it all, as much as you want...surprisingly, I can't get enough of the Amish lioma beans,,,oh and their pot roast is superb...also tons of desserts!

leethebard

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/14/10 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                  http://www.plainandfancyfarm.com/

And here's the Plain & Fancy Website...including discount coupons....they also have a link to the Amish view...often if you stay at the Amish view they have other discounts for restaurants like P&F and Miller's....great places!!! Hope this helps.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                    Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/14/10 6:46 PM (permalink)
                                    Plain and Fancy is good.  Also in Lancaster there is Willow Valley Resort.  They have a great buffet (they call it a smorgasbord)

http://www.willowvalley.com/default.asp

catwoman

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/28/10 7:12 AM (permalink)
                                      Thanks everyone for great suggestions. Chubby's, Diener's and Dobbin's Tavern are now on my must do list. Printed out all your comments and taking with me on my trip.

leethebard

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/28/10 7:17 AM (permalink)
                                        Please give us feedback on your opinions...hope we helped!

suzgwhite

• Total Posts: 4
                                          Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Wed, 04/28/10 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm local to Gettysburg

For history,
                                          Definately the Dobbin House, downstairs - be sure you check out the spring left of the bar.
                                          More upscale, The Cash Town Inn.
                                          Farnsworth

Outside town -

Yep, Chubby's is work the drive

In East Berlin, PA
                                          Another BBQ joint, Rick's Hog Wild
                                          Upscale - Sydneys

Dover, PA
                                          Moonlight Cafe

Downtown
                                          Blue Parrot Bistro
                                          Ernies Texas Lunch is an institution
                                          The Pub has basic bar food, and is a good place for a drink.

badluck

• Total Posts: 1
                                            Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sat, 05/1/10 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                            catwoman

Going to be in  Gettysburg for 4 days and Lancaster area for 3 1/2 days. Traveling alone so I don't want any family style seating. Like all kinds of food. Would like to try some real Amish cooking but I would be happy with a real good charcoal cheeseburger.  Love some suggestions including breakfast. Thanks

"Best place to eat and make a day of is the shady maple, hands down"

leethebard

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sat, 05/1/10 8:46 PM (permalink)
                                              "Best place"...not by a long shot....largest, yes....tons of food...yes...but average quality....it is very cheap....but nothing great...many of the other places in the area serve better food...

XanaJew

• Total Posts: 42
                                                Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sat, 05/1/10 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                                I'm currently in VA, but will be visiting Gettysburg this Wed (5/5). I'm staying at the Dobbin House, but Chubby's sounds too good to pass up!  Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's funny, I had so many layovers on my way here today that I had breakfast in Memphis, lunch in Detroit and dinner here in Harrisonburg. It's been great so far. I'll be in Lusby (?) MD on Saturday so if you have any ideas for that area, lemme know. Enjoy your stay Catwoman!

Thanks fellow Roadfoodies!

Todd

catwoman

Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sun, 06/20/10 3:15 PM (permalink)
                                                  catwoman

Hi All,
                                                      Back from my trip and took some of your great suggestions. Let me start with Gettysburg

First A Big Hello to the friendly folks at Chubby's Barbeque just south  of Gettysburg in Emmitsburg Md     chubbysbbq.com. This place is how can I say it "Comfortable" and I mean it in only the best way. I felt like a long lost Aunt when I walked in the door. It's not modern, it's not slick its comfortable. I liked that it opens at 11:00 am as I tend to get up and out early and skip breakfast like I did this day. So I was hungry when I walked in. I started with a cup of cream of crab soup which was rich and yummy. I went with the Beef Brisket Platter which was fall apart tender. Sauces are on the table for you to chose your favorite or try all like I did. I had cornbread and potato salad as my sides and they were good but the owner brought over the Chubby's fried potatoes with sausage bits and onion which was wonderful. I could not even finish the meat and the owner did tell me they so give you more than  the 1/2 lb as listed on the menu. Do yourself a favor make sure you stop at Chubby's. My rating 1-5.    5 Purrs >^..^<

Springhouse Tavern: located in the basement of the Dobbin House Tavern. Very popular place. Since I was a single diner I tried to go to dinner a little earlier. This place was packed but I seated quickly and not made to feel awkward dining by myself. They really have you seated close together but the food was so good who cares. I had the Baked King's Onion soup that was the best I have ever tasted. I could have taken it by IV. Just when you thought you finished with the cheesy goodness a surprise of tender beef  chunks were in the bottom.  For my entree I had the Char-grilled marinated chicken breast which had a nice char taste of grilling. Salad and baked potato came with the meal.  5 Purrs >^..^<

Farnsworthhouse Tavern: I came here for dinner on a Tuesday night at around 6pm. For some reason the inside dining was closed but they were serving outside in a covered patio garden. I was grilled by the waitress if I had a reservation which I didn't and then told I could look at the menus on the wall to decide if I would be ordering from the tavern or the dining room menu and then I stood and waited. Ok maybe she was busy but 1/2 the table were empty in the patio. So there I stood contemplating should I leave or not when she finally seated me. Anyway I did order the game pie and was not impressed. To me it was very bland. You did get spoon bread which was almost like polenta and then a white mini loaf of bread called a Jenny Wade Bread. Something else was suppose to come with it as my waitress told me when she brought my dinner to me but I never got it so I don't know what it was.  Anyway, another waitress and a busboy came in as it got later and more diners were appearing but I had to wait for my check and really was disappointed in my experience here.
                                                  2 1/2 Purrs >^.

Appalachain Brewing Company (ABC): This is located on the outskirts of town on the Quality Inn and General Lee's Headquarters. First I stayed at this motel (very good but no fridge in room) and the museum at General Lee's headquarters was small but very interesting. I went to lunch at the ABC and had the Hog Wild sandwich which was very good. The sauce was made with their homemade rootbeer which was slightly sweet but I liked it. I am not a beer drinker but hmm brewery, I can walk to my room , so I had a beer with my sandwich. I picked the Expresso Stout. a dark smooth not heavy necter of the gods.  No kidding the beer was delicious. I bought a 12 pack of assorted beers for my friend who was babysitting my cats and he raved about the beer and he is a "Bud" guy. 4 Purrs >^..^

Mountain Gate Family Restaurant  Thurmont, MD, Dinner was included in my tour of Washington DC with Dayton Tours. ( This is a wonderful tour if you don't want to do the driving in DC). It was family style buffet which suited our group on the bus fine. Since it was early in the season there was only  10 of us plus the guide and driver on the bus and we all sat and ate together. I had 2 kinds of chicken both were fresh and tender, nice choice of veggies and then the desserts were so overwhelming I had pudding. 3 3/4 Purrs >^.. 

Lancaster PA:
                                                  Cracker Barrel: Old standby and their Rasberry Lemonade is awsome on a 90 plus day  4 Purrs >^..^

Bob Evans : Ok I'm from New Yawk I had no clue what this place was about but it was getting late, I was hungry I was driving crowded RTE 30 in Lancaster and a couple places were full and I did not want a buffet. Hey the turkey dinner was pretty decent. 3 1/2 Purrs >^.

Dienner's Country Restaurant: This place was good. There were several groups on Mennonites (plain dressed folks) eating there when I was. Chicken and Pork and a beef dish were the meats, I chose the chicken which was juicy and not dried out and the vegetable assortment and salads were impressive. I tried warm baby beets ( I haven't had a beet in at least 45 years when my parents would force me to eat the things yuck) but they were delish. There were so many choices for dessert I can't even remember what I ate.  4 1/4 purrs >^..^

Revere Inn Lancaster:
                                                  I wanted a more traditional dining experience this night so I made reservation for one at the Revere Inn.  I was seated in a elegant room and ordered their weekend special Prime Rib. Came with a salad,  choice of vegetable and choice of potato . When it came I thought I was in Texas. This was the biggest slab of prime rib I have ever seen in front of me. It was cooked perfectly (medium) and swimming in its seasoned juices. I struggled, I skipped my potato, I didn't eat my string beans, I left the bread (I did taste them all and they were all very good) and I could not finish this prime rib. It was wonderful. 5 +,  purrs and  1 headbutt >^..^<

Huckelberry's in the Fulton Steamboat: First of all I stayed at the Steamboat and that was a wonderful  motel. It is very rich and Victorian looking including Huckelberry's.  I had Penne Alfredo and the pasta was cooked al dente the way it should be. Came with a salad and since I just had to walk to the elevator I had a Cosmo. Total bill under  $20.00 can't beat that and it was good.  4 Purrs >^..^

So thanks for all your tips. Next weekend I am off to Fairfield Ct in search of Lobster Rolls and clam chowder. Will let you know what I find.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                                                    • Location: Marriottsville, MD
                                                    Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sun, 06/20/10 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                                        It is so nice to read a Roadfood trip report when someone actually dines at places that fellow Roadfooders have recommended.  This is just what you did.

I agree with your ratings  on  The Dobbin House, Chubby's  Farnsworth and Revere Taverns.  Dobbin  House and Chubby's  has never served a single thing that we were not delighted with.  The last three times, that we ate at Farnsworth  have  been bad experiences.  The service has been dreadful,  food not served at proper temperatures, and dull tasting .   Never again.

Revere Tavern in Lancaster is our favorite restaurant in the  Lancaster area.  The surroundings are lovely, the food is always excellent, and  the service is always great.  (Their hotel is very nice., too.)

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                                                      • Location: Burlington, NC
                                                      Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sun, 06/20/10 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                      My quilting friends and I often eat at the Revere Tavern and Dienner's and have never been disappointed. Thanks for your recommendations and ratings for the other places.

nysharks

• Total Posts: 103
                                                        • Location: New York, NY
                                                        Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Sun, 06/20/10 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                                        Does anyone remember which Amish restaurants served Cope's corn?  I went to Stoltzfus 2 weeks ago and they served regular corn.  It was good but I prefer the nutty flavor of the Cope corn.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
                                                          • Location: Toronto, On/Huntsville, AL
                                                          Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Tue, 07/26/11 1:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          Greymo

Eat in the tavern dowstairs at the Dobbin House.  The atmosphere is wonderful  and they make an amazing french onion  soup.  It is fun to sit at the bar there.  (And Chubby's is great: tell Tom that you are on Roadfood and you will get a wonderful "welcome" as well as some delicious food.

I agree about Chubby's. Introduce yourself to Tom and sit and chat with him. He's just a nice guy. Love doing what he's doing.

Go for the sampler platter or the pork belly. The beans as a side are a must.

I've posted a review on my blog with plenty of pictures.
                                                          http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...d-food-aint-cheap.html

DT

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                                                            • Location: Royalton, NY
                                                            Re:Gettysburg and Lancaster Pa In May 2010 Tue, 07/26/11 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                                            Davwud

Greymo

I agree about Chubby's. Introduce yourself to Tom and sit and chat with him. He's just a nice guy. Love doing what he's doing.

Go for the sampler platter or the pork belly. The beans as a side are a must.

I've posted a review on my blog with plenty of pictures.
                                                            http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...d-food-aint-cheap.html

DT

Davwud,
                                                            Nice pictures and write-up on Chubby's.  I have driven past the restaurant on trips to DC or North Carolina a few times but always at a bad time for stopping.  Last week I was going past at lunch time but was fighting a cold and didn't want to spread my cone of contagion to Chubby's and its patrons (not to mention I most likely wouldn't have tasted any of the food).  Seeing the latest report has me fired up to be sure not to miss the next opportunity.  Thanks for sharing.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com