Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2464
2008/04/03 08:18:26 (permalink)

Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's

I went to Trader Joe's the other day to pick up some groceries and to stock up on my supply of the Ghirardelli broken chocolate blocks that they carry in the shrink wrap. I use them frequently in my cookie and pie baking and candy making. They were out of the milk and dark and only had a few white ones remaining on the shelf. I asked and the staff said that TJs is discontinuing them. They didn't say if it was just that store, but it did sound like it might be a company-wide thing. Does anyone know about this happening at other Trader Joe's?

15 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/03 10:37:35 (permalink)
    I always have the same problem at Trader Joe's. You find and item you really like and then one day it just disappears.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/03 10:43:31 (permalink)
    I would just try emailing them. I used to get stuff from there all the time when I lived in Henderson, NV. But now I live far away in a distant land called Wisconsin so when I am going to be near one and pick some stuff up I email them and make sure they still have the items that I am looking for. They usually respond quite quickly as well.

http://www.traderjoes.com/contact_us_selection.html
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 11:06:38 (permalink)
    Sad news. I've only made use of the bulk chunks twice, but it was nice to have.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2464
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 11:11:29 (permalink)
    I emailed them and they just responded yesterday. They said they're discontinuing them altogether (though there will still be some stragglers coming in from the warehouses, but no new stuff) and will be trying to carry their own brand. Sad. I'll try theirs, but I've been a big fan of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". We shall see.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 11:25:33 (permalink)
    This is a bit off topic, but have you guys tried their Belgian milk chocolate bars that come three to a pack for $1.49? It is really, really, good chocolate. It's not for baking, but I always make sure I have a stock of it handy!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 12:08:00 (permalink)
    I buy their house brand, I find it to be a good product overall.
    There again I don't eat that much chocolate or cook with it, so nothing to compare it to. Chow Jim
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 13:45:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

I emailed them and they just responded yesterday. They said they're discontinuing them altogether (though there will still be some stragglers coming in from the warehouses, but no new stuff) and will be trying to carry their own brand. Sad. I'll try theirs, but I've been a big fan of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". We shall see.

Many times, just for self promotion, companies like TJ will use the same product but with their label. I hope the TJ brand works out.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6430
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 15:43:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joerogo

I always have the same problem at Trader Joe's. You find and item you really like and then one day it just disappears.

That is the one most frustrating thing about Trader Joe's. There is no consistency or reliability about what products they carry. But then on the other hand they continue to provide different, interesting and quality products at good prices so maybe that strategy is the result.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/04 15:55:52 (permalink)
    At the Trader Joe's in Santa Barbara I recently bought my GF a HUGE (over a pound) bar of Trader Joe's brand dark chocolate imported from Belgium for only $4.99!
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/08 10:47:29 (permalink)
    We've been TJ customers for years, and have seen great products which we came to rely on, come and go from their shelves. It can be really aggravating, because the decisions are obviously made in some boardroom nowhere near the stores. Well, at least we can still get Three Buck Chuck there.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/08 11:20:51 (permalink)
    I have no idea how companies decide which products to carry and which to discontinue, but I do trust Trader Joe's promise that each item is taste tested before offering it to the consumer, and I've yet to find anything that doesn't satisfy me. I loved the frozen eggplant cutlets and when they quit carrying the one brand, they substituted another one and it is every bit as good as the last. It seems they so try to replace discontinue items with something else as good as or as similar to the last as possible.

Can you believe I am a total fan of Trader Joe's? I do love that store, rely totally on their good judgment, and as far as I'm concerned, their prices and quality can't be beat. I hope they never change and just wish they would build one closer to where we live, altho it is no hardship driving to the nearest one to us. Just getting lazy in our old age, I guess, but would love to go to TJs more often than once a month.

I think what meats they do carry are wonderful and I trust them that they are as advertised, without hormones, etc. I do watch that the seafood and fish that we buy there doesn't come from China but beyond that, we have no qualms about anything they offer.

Whether Ghiradelli (sp?) or not, their chocolate bars and prices are without comparison anywhere else. And their cheese prices are superb.

And of course, there is always Three Buck Chuck to seal the deal.

Donna
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/04/08 15:29:10 (permalink)
    FYI, I bought 3 big chunks of this chocolate at World Market this past weekend.

http://www.worldmarket.com/home.jsp
    Cindybug
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/10/26 13:08:07 (permalink)
    Have you tried looking at World Market? I stopped by to look the other day and the sales clerk said they always got it in around the holidays and were expecting a shipment soon. It's funny, I was in San Francisco a few weeks ago and there are Ghirardelli chocolate shops all up and down the piers and fisherman's wharf. For years I bought bags of the milk chocolate chunks there and was going to pick up several for friends, I was shocked I couldn't find them at any of the shops. They didn't even have them at the main Ghirardelli chocolate shop up on Ghirardelli square. Then someone told me later after I got home that they had seen it at the World Market. If I find it there I'll let you know.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/10/26 13:27:13 (permalink)
    I'll check my World Market store in Dallas. They always have a HUGE selection of sweet things.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    RE: Ghirardelli chocolate blocks at Trader Joe's 2008/10/26 13:32:37 (permalink)
    Love the World Market, as well ,for food items.Will be checking out my neighborhood store soon for Ghiradelli.Have to have it at the holidays!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1