Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington)

Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2004/07/10 13:06:28 (permalink)

Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington)

Anybody else remember this place? Or is it, by any chance, still there? When I was growing up in the Washington DC suburbs it was THE place to go for ice cream. It was like a large ice cream parlor--many tables where people could sit and eat their sundaes, sodas and other gooey concoctions although I usually just got a chocolate chip sugar cone. My recollection is the building was covered in white stucco with embedded mirrored glass so it looked like a snow castle--with polar bears even!

6 Replies Related Threads

meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington) 2004/07/12 10:47:19 (permalink)
    The only Gifford's I know of is in Bethesda near the Landmark Cinemas. It is your typical ice cream shop. Certainly no snow castle (not that that would fly in Bethesda, anyway). Perhaps it is the same and they moved?

Do you remember York Castle Tropical Ice Cream? They are still around in their Georgia Ave location in Silver Spring, but also have an extra shop now in Beltsville. They actually have a Guiness flavored ice cream. And something called soursop I haven't tried yet. I think my favorite is the lychee.
    mtbuckingham
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington) 2004/07/12 11:10:55 (permalink)
    Yeah, Giffords came to Bethesda about 4 (?) years ago, much to the delight of Washingtonians who had fond memories of it.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington) 2004/07/12 23:00:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

The only Gifford's I know of is in Bethesda near the Landmark Cinemas. It is your typical ice cream shop. Certainly no snow castle (not that that would fly in Bethesda, anyway). Perhaps it is the same and they moved?

Do you remember York Castle Tropical Ice Cream? They are still around in their Georgia Ave location in Silver Spring, but also have an extra shop now in Beltsville. They actually have a Guiness flavored ice cream. And something called soursop I haven't tried yet. I think my favorite is the lychee.

This place was on Georgia Ave, down near the old Silver Spring B&O train station (I have no idea if that's still there either). Maybe the building is now "York Castle"? I used to go to Gifford's in high school--prior to 1963.
    ds.pollock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington) 2004/07/26 20:20:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Anybody else remember this place? Or is it, by any chance, still there? When I was growing up in the Washington DC suburbs it was THE place to go for ice cream. It was like a large ice cream parlor--many tables where people could sit and eat their sundaes, sodas and other gooey concoctions although I usually just got a chocolate chip sugar cone. My recollection is the building was covered in white stucco with embedded mirrored glass so it looked like a snow castle--with polar bears even!
    ds.pollock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington) 2004/07/26 20:29:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Folks, you are going to have to bear with me on these replies as I am getting used to this somewhat awkward system (to me).
    Your memory of the mirror embedded polar bears is a seminal memory of early post WWII Silver Spring but they were not at Giffords! They were at Beck's Frozen Custard which had several locations, one on Fenton Street by Wayne Ave and another further south down Georgia Ave in the Brightwood area of DC. I just finished a novel "Hard Revolution" by George Pelencanos who mentions the polar bears! His crime novels are locally famous for taking place in Silver Spring and the DC area just below.
    David S Pollock
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Gifford's--Silver Spring, MD (outside Washington) 2004/07/27 03:59:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ds.pollock
    Folks, you are going to have to bear with me on these replies as I am getting used to this somewhat awkward system (to me).
    Your memory of the mirror embedded polar bears is a seminal memory of early post WWII Silver Spring but they were not at Giffords! They were at Beck's Frozen Custard which had several locations, one on Fenton Street by Wayne Ave and another further south down Georgia Ave in the Brightwood area of DC. I just finished a novel "Hard Revolution" by George Pelencanos who mentions the polar bears! His crime novels are locally famous for taking place in Silver Spring and the DC area just below.
    David S Pollock

Aha! You are so right. When I was writing that I thought to myself, "Now are you possibly confusing two different places?" because my recollection of Giffords inside would have had it too large to fit inside the polar bear place's outside which wasn't all that big. But give me a break--I just turned 59 and I think senility is creeping up.

This has nothing to do with food, but you may be interested that another memory of that era was riding the streetcars on Georgia Ave. (inside DC--I don't recall them going all the way out to Silver Spring)--my mom and I used to ride them to go downtown to go shopping.
    Anyway, as I have stated elsewhere, I now live in San Francisco and SF has been renewing its streetcar system using the very same kinds of old (but nicely restored) cars that I remember Washington having--they have examples from most major cities like Baltimore and Philadelphia though not, I think, from Washington which reportedly sold all its cars to Czechoslovakia in the 50's. I love riding them because they bring back all kinds of memories of when I was about 5 years old.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1