The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Gilbert's Craft Sausages

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 41 of 41
JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Tue, 04/26/11 11:42 PM (permalink)
Foodbme, the sausages have landed.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
    Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 2:58 AM (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Foodbme, the sausages have landed.

Bless your Heart!
    I feared the TSA people would sequester them as contraband!
    They're a little touchy & frown on smuggling stuff into AZ!
    Please send me a PM and let me know when it would be convenient for me to come over and pick them up. Any time except Thursday evening works for me. I have your S & H Fee on Ice!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 6:17 AM (permalink)
      Foodbme,

Have you made this recipe yet? As I've gotten older, I've gotten lazy and no longer even make beer. I'm not much of a cook either. Last time I tried to make dinner I burned the salad!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
        Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 10:00 AM (permalink)
        John, your a good eater, you can't be expected to do both.

John, when I lived in Ct, there was no shortage of good quality Italian sausage in the markets, is that still the case ???? I don't remember a lot of smoked sausage, we used a lot of fresh. The only thing I remember is Kielbasa being smoked, and it was to die for.............

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 10:15 AM (permalink)
          All I was indicating, Foodbme, is that sausage making is a dedicated craft that takes alot of time and the end result may not be worth all of that. Gilbert sausages and others have taken all the hard work out of it for us!

Foodbme

Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 11:05 AM (permalink)
            John Fox

Foodbme,
            Have you made this recipe yet? As I've gotten older, I've gotten lazy and no longer even make beer. I'm not much of a cook either. Last time I tried to make dinner I burned the salad!

No, I've not made it. I'm like you, easy is better. I even buy wines with the Easy Screw Off Cap so I don't have to  mess with a cork screw!

Foodbme

Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 11:13 AM (permalink)
              annpeeples

All I was indicating, Foodbme, is that sausage making is a dedicated craft that takes alot of time and the end result may not be worth all of that. Gilbert sausages and others have taken all the hard work out of it for us!

You're right; it's a craft and hard work. Back in the mid 80's, I bought and operated a smoked meat company. We smoked hams, bacon and made sausage. The company was called Pitts Home-made Country Smoked Meats. Our slogan was, "If it's the Pitts, It's the Best!" Ran it for a couple years and sold it. Lousy cash flow businss.

Gilberts Sausages

• Total Posts: 31
                Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 3:41 PM (permalink)
                It just so happens that Chris and I are still avid homebrewers....although the Wisconsin winter that goes until June has slowed us down as of late.  It's actually more or less how we got started.  Initially had a dream to open a brewery, but then realized that there were about 20 millions other guys with the same dream, and half of them beat us to the punch.  So we turned our craft brewing hobby and passion into sausage instead.

The long-term goal is to actually have a storefront where we're selling a whole variety of craft sausage, and brewing up some of our craft beers on a small scale.  John, maybe some day you'll have to take your hot dog tour through Chicago or Milwaukee (or wherever we end up) and make Gilbert's the anchor leg!

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                  Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 4:03 PM (permalink)
                  Hey Gilbert ,
                  Now that would be a long road trip for sure !!
                  Benzee

Foodbme

Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Wed, 04/27/11 4:27 PM (permalink)
                    Gilberts Sausages

It just so happens that Chris and I are still avid homebrewers....although the Wisconsin winter that goes until June has slowed us down as of late.  It's actually more or less how we got started.  Initially had a dream to open a brewery, but then realized that there were about 20 millions other guys with the same dream, and half of them beat us to the punch.  So we turned our craft brewing hobby and passion into sausage instead.

The long-term goal is to actually have a storefront where we're selling a whole variety of craft sausage, and brewing up some of our craft beers on a small scale.  John, maybe some day you'll have to take your hot dog tour through Chicago or Milwaukee (or wherever we end up) and make Gilbert's the anchor leg!

Why not bring your Sausage Stuffers out here to Gilbert AZ? That way you can be Gilbert's Sausage of Gilbert AZ!!. There's a void of anything that resembles good European Ethnic Foods out here. Over 3 million people in Metro Phoenix, the 5th largest metro area in the nation, and only 2 Crafted Sausage Makers that I'm aware of. They are:
                    http://www.stanleys-sausage.com/
                    http://www.schreinerssausage.com/
                    And three meat markets that make sausage but their not their major products:
                    http://www.midwesternmeats.com/
                    http://www.vonhansons.com/locationsHours.html
                    http://theporkshopaz.com/
                    There's a good number of Upper Midwesterners, MN, WI, SD, ND, IL, MI, WY, MT, IA, NB and 2 Canadians out here and in the Winter the snowbirds arrive in large flocks! There's a market for your products out here-- C'mon Down!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                      Re:Gilbert's Craft Sausages Mon, 06/13/11 1:18 PM (permalink)
                      http://triblocal.com/st-charles/2011/06/13/pair-bring-gourmet-franks-to-the-midwest/

Nice article about Gilbert's Craft Sausages. I'll say to Mr. Underwood that the Froman isn't only as good as Best Kosher (not to be confused with Best's from Newark, N.J.) but it far surpasses it in terms of taste and quality.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 41 of 41

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com