Gina's Roast Beef Survey

Author
hodros
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/06/30 10:23:02 (permalink)

Gina's Roast Beef Survey

For the Tampa, St Pete and Clear Water area.
How does this sound for lip smacking good food!

Slow roasted, shaved med rare roast beef served on a toasted onion roll with cheese, mayo and James River BBq sauce, stacked very high with no fat. Just like, Massachussetts north shore famous beef house's.
Slow roasted, shaved med roast beef served on a hoagi(sub roll) with roasted peppers, onions and healthy amount of aujus(gravy). Just like, Chicago style beef house's.
Slow roasted, shaved med roast beef served on a xl bulkie with a pile of homemade coleslaw, lots of homemade bbq sauce with a slight kick. Just like the Carolina's beef house's.

How far would you drive to have a Super Beef, Chicago style beef and southern style beef.
Comments Please.

8 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 10:47:48 (permalink)
    Sounds good. Would certainly stop in on my twice yearly visits to the Tampa Bay area. Is this a soon to be reality?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4655
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 11:13:47 (permalink)
    I wonder if trying to hit all styles of something (roast beef, in this case) means that none of the styles lives up to expectations.
    We've had a BBQ that attempted to duplicate all styles of Q, while having no personality of it's own. It lasted about 6 months.
    Having lived in Arizona for years, I'm familiar with sunbelt schemes to bring the best parts of where people came from to
    the place where they are now.
    Does Tampa have a roast Beef tradition of it's own? It sounds like good eats, but will only the folks who came from the cities where the style was popular frequent the establishment?
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 13:09:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hodros
    Slow roasted, shaved med rare roast beef served on a toasted onion roll with cheese, mayo and James River BBq sauce, stacked very high with no fat. Just like, Massachussetts north shore famous beef house's.

I'm familiar with every north shore roast beef place you care to name, and I have NEVER seen cheese on the basic roast beef sandwich. You can get cheese, sure -- you can get pickles and onions on it, for that matter -- but the canonical north shore roast beef sandwich is:

1. Beef
    2. Bun
    3. (optional) Sauce

#3, traditionally, is either a sweet red BBQ-style sauce OR mayo, but not that many people get both, and more than you would expect get neither. The onion roll is also not necessarily what you're going to get at most places.

Frankly, what you're proposing is no different from an Arby's Beef and Cheddar. That's a perfectly fine sandwich, but it would be laughed out of Kelly's or Mike's.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 13:20:19 (permalink)
    Here is how I like my roast beef sandwiches:

Split an onion roll in half, spread both sides with spicy mustard-
    Put piled up thinly sliced roast beef on one side-swiss cheese on the other- Sprinkle roast beef side with steak sauce and the cheese side with some onion. Put cheese side under broiler until cheese is melted.
    Put sandwich together and then put under broiler until slightly toasted on both sides.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 13:23:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hodros

For the Tampa, St Pete and Clear Water area.
    How does this sound for lip smacking good food!

Slow roasted, shaved med roast beef served on a hoagi(sub roll) with roasted peppers, onions and healthy amount of aujus(gravy). Just like, Chicago style beef house's.
    Slow roasted, shaved med roast beef served on a xl bulkie with a pile of homemade coleslaw, lots of homemade bbq sauce with a slight kick. Just like the Carolina's beef house's.

How far would you drive to have a Super Beef, Chicago style beef and southern style beef.
    Comments Please.

I get Chicago beef sandwiches all the time at Fatboy's in St. Pete. And I can highly recommend them!
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 16:05:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog
    I get Chicago beef sandwiches all the time at Fatboy's in St. Pete. And I can highly recommend them!

Duhhhh...Rib Dog, where is Fatboy's???
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 16:21:20 (permalink)
    you go 'lucky bishop',forget the cheese!!....as a tampa resident,I get my roast beef sandwiches at 'SUBWORLD" on N.Dale Mabry....succulent,home-roasted beef(yes,the owner does the roasting at his residence),fresh onion roll,au jou or bbq sauce and let the good times roll.....another good stop is the Carrolwood Cafe,only problem being that their killer pastrami sandwiches may distract you when you go to order
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Gina's Roast Beef Survey 2004/06/30 16:54:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Duhhhh...Rib Dog, where is Fatboy's???

It is in the shopping center at 1136 94th Ave. N. This is just across the street from the KMart up on 9th St. N.

John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1