Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois

Author
jailguard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/09/11 17:55:28 (permalink)

Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois

Gino's East in Chicago, at their old location on Superior St. They have a really authentic sausage "patty" that they would layer on top of the cheese and other stuff inside their pizza's. I remember going there during the Christmas season and being right around the corner from the Michigan Avenue shopping district, the line was wrapped around the side of the building. It would take hours to get in. The host/hostess would take orders for drinks and appetizers and bring them outside to you. Another great part was that you could draw on anything on the inside of the restaurant. I have had glasses and silverware with people's names on them etc. etc, not very sanitary but who cares.

11 Replies Related Threads

jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/11 20:50:18 (permalink)
    jailguard, i've only tried the spinach and garlic, but their frozen pizza is exactly like their restaurant's. About $9 in the grocery. Same size as their small. Not sure if they use the "patty" in their frozen sausage ones though. One of the only products that seems the same as the original imo.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/11 20:56:10 (permalink)
    People who live in Chicago know better then to eat in this Rat hole/tourist trap.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8363
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/11 21:14:14 (permalink)
    Worst pizza I ever had........
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/11 23:46:10 (permalink)
    The Gino's East at the old location was really good, but even prior to moving in 2000, the quality declined. When they moved to Ontario, the pizza was horrible. Unfortunately, it is a tourist trap, as are Uno's and Due's.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/12 06:40:58 (permalink)
    Your right on. We were there years back in the middle of a week, and it was not crowded. There was some loud banging coming from the back area...when we asked the server about it, she said we didn't want to know. After eating, we asked again, she told us they were chasing a rodent. We never went back.
    Terr
    quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

People who live in Chicago know better then to eat in this Rat hole/tourist trap.
    cheesybellybutton
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/12 07:28:51 (permalink)
    Seriously dodgy food. The last time I went there I was eating a salad when I found several metal staples amongst the leaves. I pointed this out to the waitress, who took it away and came back with the explaination that they stapled shut their deliveries next to where they made salads. She didn't bring me a replacement and I was kinda glad about that. They did try to charge me for it though.

So many other places to try our famous pizza. Avoid.
    Lyds
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/12 08:35:04 (permalink)
    We were there a month ago and waited in line for about an hour. Because the pizzas take so long to bake we ordered an appetizer-an antipasto. The waiter told us not to get it. He said there were two things on the menu that the employees would never eat-the antipasto and the wings.

So, we waited the hour for our sausage pizza to bake. The sausage had an odd flavor-I expected Italian fennel sausage-which it wasn't. I'll take my local Jersey pizza any day over deep dish.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/12 09:27:53 (permalink)
    Chicago area deep dish pizzas are usually great. I've had 4 deep dish pizzas this past summer while visiting in Chicago from Pizzeria Due, Lou Malnati's, Pizano's and Gino's East. All were excellent except for Gino's East which was "unremarkable," to say the least, IMO.
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/12 09:55:52 (permalink)
    Lived in Chicago all my life.
    When I have friends in from out of town we go to Giordano's or Edwardo's. For cheese and sausage or pepperoni - both thin and stuffed - we head to Giordano's. For spinach - both thin and stuffed - we head to Edwardo's's. But, truth be told, both do everything well. I have NEVER had a bad meal at either place.

Gino's...well, I won't tell people to NOT go there. But, I usually try to get them to head to either Giordano's or Edwardo's instead - so I am sure they will have outstanding ooey, gooey delicious pizza served with pleasant surroundings. (Gino's, it's ok food, but it's not what I long for. Yanno?)
    Dana
    adm22
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/09/19 14:51:10 (permalink)
    I beleive they have a branch out in arlington Hts or mt Prospect, not sure which. Been there a few times as I have friends who live in the area. Pizza not bad but nothing great.

There is another place a bit further south, called something like Three Guys Pizza near Irving Park and Arlington Hts Rd and train tracks. Like their pizza plus if you go on Tuesday it is half off on eat in pizza or buy 1 get one free. Forget which go with friends and get two pizzas so the price comes out the same.
    wdgray
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Gino's East in Chicago, Illinois 2007/10/11 12:18:47 (permalink)
    Tourist trap or not, the pizza is great. Some of the best I've ever had. It was definitely worth the hour long wait. Buttery crisp crust, sweet chunky sauce, garlic butter in the cheese, crumbled pork sausage! Mmmm!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1