Gino's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
2007/03/15 13:21:54 (permalink)

Gino's

Does anyone remember this place? I think they were based in the northeast and owned by an ex pro athlete. I'm sure there is a lot of info on the Internet, but I'm taking the lazy route......

I believe they were bought out by Roy Rogers but for a while this was the only place we could get Kentucky Fried Chicken in our area. This was late '70s.

Gino Giant: Muhammad Ali did the ad for that, unless I'm dreaming....

33 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    RE: Gino's 2007/03/15 13:38:39 (permalink)
    Gino's was Baltimore-based, as I recall, and named for Gino Marchetti.

http://members.aol.com/jsf0864/page14.html
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Gino's 2007/03/15 18:20:36 (permalink)
    This is what I posted on the Long Lost Regional Chains thread almost 4 years ago.

Posted - 07/19/2003 : 22:24:06
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to go.
    Everybody goes to Gino's, everbody in the know.
    A hamburger there is just 15 cents, with some french frys and a milkshake you'll be glad that you went.
    Yes, everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to goooooooooooh.

I can sing it but only off key.

And who can forget Gino's teammate on the Baltimore Colts, Alan "The Horse" Ameche, who actually started his own drive-in burger chain called what else "Ameches". They had the Powerhouse doubledecker while Gino's was the Giant. If memory serves me, Alan and Gino were actually the partner owners of Ameches, which was a curb service type drive-in, maybe even had inside seating. Then they started opening the Gino's fast food stands. (Think of the original McDonalds with the golden arches). No inside seating, just walk up ordering and take it to your car or home.

So they closed the few Ameches locations and put up Gino's, then they secured the KFC franchise rights for at least the Baltimore area, and Gino's was the only place you could get KFC. And then Marriott bought Gino's Inc. out, making Gino very rich, and Alan may have already passed away....turning them into Roy Rogers, featuring the ole singing cowboy himself in the early advertising and roast beef and only quarter pound hamburgers.....And then Marriott sold Roys to McDonalds who converted some to McD's and closed many others because they were close to already operating McD's. Although on the 95 corridor in Maryland and north, I think Roy Rogers still exists at the rest stops along the way still operated by Marriott.

I'll meetcha at Ameches, I'll treatya at Ameches, and I don't remember the rest.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Gino's 2007/03/16 07:56:35 (permalink)
    While stationed at Ft. Meade, MD, in 1962-63, Gino's in Baltimore was the eating stop on the way to East Baltimore Street on a Sat night. East Baltimore street literally had a cop on every corner back then, the good old days?

John
    syrup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Gino's 2007/03/16 13:55:48 (permalink)
    When I heard then name Gino's I thought you were talking about the Chicago Pizza Restaurant, which is definetly not a chain.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Gino's 2007/03/16 15:41:15 (permalink)
    Back in the 70's, Mrs QFan & I used to stop at a Gino's on the way to the Baltimore O's games (at old Memorial Stadium) with our kids. We would get a bucket of KFC and take it into the ball park to feed the family on the cheap. Toward the end of their run in the Baltimore/DC area Gino's brought out The Sirloiner, which was a very good quarter pound burger with about one-third of it sirloin instead of the cheaper cuts of ground meat (at least that what the ads said). Still think Gino's & later Roy Rogers had a better fast food burger than most all of the ff chains around today.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

p.s. Don't believe there was any connection between Gino's ff stands and the Geno's pizza referred to by some of the other posters.
    the plainsman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Gino's 2007/08/08 18:47:25 (permalink)
    GINO'S Back in the early 1970's, North Jersey college days, we would sometimes stop in and I would always have two GINO's GIANTS and fries at their Parsippany spot on Rt 46. They had a sort of maybe cole slaw topping, I think, and were so different from the typical FF burger. McD's came late to the NY Metro Area (NYC TV advertising was and is expensive), so we had other long gone chains that also included Burger Chef.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Gino's 2007/08/08 18:55:27 (permalink)
    I remember the Gino's in Joppatown, Maryland.

I always wondered why or how they were able to sell KFC chicken. Did a lot of small regional chains around the country used to offer KFC chicken?
    BigDave67
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Gino's 2007/08/09 00:33:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by frogger67

Does anyone remember this place? I think they were based in the northeast and owned by an ex pro athlete. I'm sure there is a lot of info on the Internet, but I'm taking the lazy route......

I believe they were bought out by Roy Rogers but for a while this was the only place we could get Kentucky Fried Chicken in our area. This was late '70s.

Were there Genos pizza places in the 1970s,I remember some being around. Excellent oily pizza
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Gino's 2007/08/14 17:37:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

I remember the Gino's in Joppatown, Maryland.

I always wondered why or how they were able to sell KFC chicken. Did a lot of small regional chains around the country used to offer KFC chicken?

That was KFC's original business plan. The Colonel went around to restaurants and sold his recipe for a price. So you could go to a local eatery, and find KFC on the menu. Originally it was sold in what might be called "family style" restaurants. I believe that it was Pete Harmon one of the Colonel's original franchisees who opened up the first "stand-alone" KFC store. Wendy's founder Dave Thomas went on to open up many more.
    Robearjr
    RE: Gino's 2007/08/14 19:01:30 (permalink)
    Speaking of Wendy's, when did they stop selling chicken? In Maryland I remember Wendy's selling perdue chicken about ten or maybe fifteen years ago.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Gino's 2007/08/15 08:27:54 (permalink)
    quote:

Speaking of Wendy's, when did they stop selling chicken? In Maryland I remember Wendy's selling perdue chicken about ten or maybe fifteen years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, Wendy's actually tried opening a string of stores that sold chicken. They didn't last long, I knew some of them were in the midwest..Sisters? Grandmas? Something like that. So it's very possible that some of the Wendy's stores sold the chicken product. And, the timeline sounds about right.
    dth1971
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/12 18:24:10 (permalink)
    Soupy Sales, Dom Deluise, Muhammad Ali, and Colonel Sanders did TV commercials for Gino's.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/12 18:36:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dth1971

Soupy Sales, Dom Deluise, Muhammad Ali, and Colonel Sanders did TV commercials for Gino's.

I was the President of the Soupy Sales Fan Club of Bayonne, NJ, circa 1960-61. (I hope that you are impressed!) His show was very big with the 8th grade set at that time.

I remember receiving a lot of autographed photos of Soupy, some of which I saved. Of course, I can't find them now, and that is a shame because I could probably sell them on e-bay for...perhaps $5.00 for the lot.

Oh, and by the way, Gino's was the only fast food chain in Hudson County, NJ back in the late '60s--early '70s. Back then, I really thought that The Gino Giant was the ne plus ultra in dining!

nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/13 21:06:32 (permalink)
    I loved Gino's. I used to go to the one on 37 In Toms River, NJ. I was heartbroken when it closed. It became a Roy Rogers.
    nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/13 21:09:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigDave67

quote:
    Originally posted by frogger67

Were there Genos pizza places in the 1970s,I remember some being around. Excellent oily pizza

Don't know if it was a chain, but we has Geno's pizzeria on 37 in Toms River, NJ and there was one on Rt 9 or 166 in South Toms River/Beachwood area too. Gosh I loved them. We would always get a bag of yummy zeppolis as well. Friday night was pizza night when I was a kid.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/14 13:45:13 (permalink)
    I lived in N J from 1972-1978, teaching in Somerset Couty and living near Ft Dix/ McGuire AFB. The only way we could get KFC at that time was at the Gino's in the area. I believe thats the only relatively Large Chain the Colonel had a piece of... Everywhere else I recall only seeing KFC independent restaurant/stands. Now they are combined with a variety of other "YUM" brand logos in one location.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/14 16:45:41 (permalink)

Al--You mentioned that you taught in Somerset County, NJ, back in the '70s. Well, you likely wouldn't recognize the area at this point, as many of the farms have given way to housing--albeit very expensive housing on relatively large tracts of land. Luckily the area has retained its beauty, despite residential development.

And, Somerville, the sleepy old county seat, is slowly being gentrified and is now a significant restaurant destination on Friday and Saturday nights, with a large number of upscale places to eat.

Whereabouts in the county did you teach?
    mgyip
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Gino's 2007/10/14 20:16:21 (permalink)
    Gee, y'all are bringing back OLD memories for me...

When I was a lad, long before the days of Direct Deposit, every payday, my Mother would drive into the city to meet my Father. They'd drive to the bank (no such thing as a branch on every corner in those days), then they'd have lunch and she'd drop him off at the office. During my glorious summer vacations, I'd accompany my Mother on those trips and we'd frequently stop at Gino's for lunch. I don't remember what they'd order but my "special treat" was a Gino's Giant!!! Then the place changed to an Uncle Roy's Trigger Burger Heaven, er, um, a Roy Rogers.

Those were the days...
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4056
    RE: Gino's 2007/12/18 19:00:20 (permalink)
    Gino's is late and lamented. So is their successor, Roy Rogers. I had the best fast food of my life at their Lee Highway & George Mason Drive store in Arlington, VA.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Gino's 2007/12/19 07:29:21 (permalink)
    While working as a lifeguard at a resort in PA, there was a Gino's nearby and we would get sackfuls of burgers all the time. One of the guests made a bet with six lifeguards that we couldn't eat 100 Gino's burgers in an hour - for $100.00. Of course we took the bet. And won. I remember eating my quota of 17 burgers, two of the guys ate fewer, but one guy ate about 24 to make up the shortfall. But we did it. Never again.
    frogger67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Gino's 2007/12/19 11:41:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Gino's is late and lamented. So is their successor, Roy Rogers. I had the best fast food of my life at their Lee Highway & George Mason Drive store in Arlington, VA.

Jim, a few Roy Rogers remain in Northern VA and Maryland.....ex Gino's that became Roy Rogers are in Woodlawn, VA (on Route 1) and in Belle View Plaza off the GW Parkway, if you're ever back in Virginia. The Double R Bar Burger is just as you remember, I'm sure.
    Going into Roy's is like going into a time machine................
    JakerDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Gino's 2007/12/20 10:04:44 (permalink)
    We had a Gino's in Neptune NJ that I think at one time or another was a Roy Rogers and KFC, I don't remember the order but they all occupied the same location at some point.

Robearjr
    RE: Gino's 2007/12/20 20:01:32 (permalink)
    The Roy Rogers website says that they have restaurants in 9 states.

The one you are most likely to come across is at the Maryland House on I 95 between exit 80 and 85. It's about a half hour north of Baltimore.
    Casey3557
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Gino's 2008/07/11 11:36:10 (permalink)
    Gino's was another of my childhood haunts. The one I remember was on MacDade Blvd. in Woodlyn, PA. McDonald's was the closest (probably only!) competitor around here. The location was a CVS for several years and is now a doctor's office. I remember liking Gino's a lot better than McDonald's, but heck if I remember why!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    RE: Gino's 2008/07/11 12:00:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mack184

quote:

If I'm not mistaken, Wendy's actually tried opening a string of stores that sold chicken. They didn't last long, I knew some of them were in the midwest..Sisters? Grandmas? Something like that. So it's very possible that some of the Wendy's stores sold the chicken product. And, the timeline sounds about right.

Sister's Chicken and Biscuits. It was started in Columbus in 1980 and became a chain in 1981. The chain of 55 restaurants was sold to Wendy's largest franchisee in 1987. In 1990 a former Burger King franchisee bought the then bankrupt Sister's Chicken and Biscuits, but shut the company down in 1992.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Gino's 2008/07/13 20:57:04 (permalink)
    I think I still have a few gino's ash trays in the attic.
    whotony
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Gino's 2010/10/26 21:09:40 (permalink)
    Resurrecting this topic because Ginos has opened up a location in King of Prussia Pa.
    It's a similar model to 5 Guys but they did bring back the Gino Giant with the original secret sauce.
    Ginosgiant.com
    jks19714
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Gino's 2010/12/12 15:42:05 (permalink)
    I remember Gino's -- toward "the end", they had the word BAG on the bags, CUP on the cups.  I suspect that was a reflection of the kind of help they had.   We had one a couple of blocks from the firehouse. Which was good for them, as they had some nasty grease fires from time to time.  Then there was the time they filled the basement and restaurant above with chlorine (don't mix bleach and toilet cleaner folks!)...

I wish them luck.  If that area of 202 wasn't such an absolute zoo for traffic, I'd make a nostalgic journey.  As it is, I think that I'll settle for some Russian Dressing on my burger tonight instead.

john in Delaware
    zqgenius
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Gino's 2011/09/16 20:01:22 (permalink)
    I remember Gino's well for the large lighting order my company received when they remodeled every location. I think they changed the red awnings to new red/white striped awnings or vice versa. Anyway, they bought thousands of fluorescent fixtures to light up the awnings from underneath.

A few months later, they sold out to Marriott and all of that was ripped out and trashed.

I also remember them for their salad bar from which you could also dress up your burger, which allowed me to turn a bacon double cheeseburger into a feast. Their fries and onion rings were superb.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1