Gino's on Rush in Chicago

Author
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1106
2004/03/19 13:52:57 (permalink)

Gino's on Rush in Chicago

I was in Chicago last month and we asked a cab driver to take us to the Giordano's on Rush St. He turned the wrong way and we ended up at Gino's on Rush which I assumed was the same as the Gino's East chain. It was very good but I do not think it was part of the same chain. Have any of the Chicago experts on this board been to this Gino's? Is it about the same, better, or worse than Gino's East or Giordano's? I was wondering because I will be going back to Chicago in the spring and pizza will again be one of my many meals.

11 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2004/03/19 14:24:53 (permalink)
    I like Gino's East very much, and their outlet in Naperville is just as good as the one at Wells & Ohio (plus free parking). I have not been to Gino's on Rush, but check out the reviews of it at: http://centerstage.net/patronreviews/pr.cfm?ID=1964&which=place
    It sounds like there are more minuses than pluses
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2004/03/22 17:00:52 (permalink)
    Must be Ginos pays bigger finders fees than Giordanos. He probably gets free lunches. It is Chicago afterall...
    ChadHahn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/04/23 23:50:02 (permalink)
    I eat at Gino's every time I'm in Chicago. I think it is the best pizza anywhere. Sure it is a dark and "dirty" dive, but do you want to eat or look at sports memorabilia and yard sale items up on walls?

People complain that there it has no atmosphere but I think that it's originality gives it more atmosphere than any cookie cutter cutzie restaurant.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/04/24 14:10:38 (permalink)
    Saw a spot on TV not too long ago about the beginnings of Ginos and yes, they did and still do have a "cabbie day" where they give out free pizzas to all cabbies. I agree, the one in Naperville on Jefferson is very good.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/04/24 16:18:06 (permalink)
    Gino's East blows away Giordano's, hands down.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/04/24 17:42:29 (permalink)
    The Original Gino's East was loacted on Superior St East of Michigan Ave. The lines to get in were always a block long. (This location is now a Joey Buona's Pizzeria) Gino's East moved to the current location on Wells at Ontario a few years ago. They moved all of the booths,tables,bars and Pizza ovens and have a lot more space. They have always disassociated themselves with Gino's on Rush which is totally different pizza. Although I am mainly a thin crust guy, IMHO Gino's East has the best Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago.
    westsidetommy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/04/25 00:21:15 (permalink)
    Gino's East is good.

I haven't eaten Giordanos since 1980 when we were doing a blast-furnace reline at the old Wisconsin Steel plant. We ordered lunch from Giordanos on the East Side and I got sick as a dog, I mean REALLY sick.

We should'a ordered from the Golden Shell. How many of you REAL Chicago people remember the Shell?
    readjl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/04/29 01:38:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

..... Gino's on Rush which I assumed was the same as the Gino's East chain. It was very good but I do not think it was part of the same chain. Have any of the Chicago experts on this board been to this Gino's? Is it about the same, better, or worse than Gino's East or Giordano's?

You are correct, they ARE NOT the same. Gino's on Rush is not the same as Geno's East. The difference is the vowel in Gino/Geno! I haven't had Gino's on Rush pizza in a long time, so I can't comment on that.

Geno's East is famous for its crust having some cornmeal in it.
    Pizzafiend
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/09/11 01:42:45 (permalink)
    Gino's on Rush is the ORIGINAL cornmeal deep dish pizzerria in Chicago they opened over 50 years ago in 1954 on Rush street @
    932 N. Rush street.Gino's East did not start until 12 years later in 1966 on Superior the reason Gino's East was called Gino's east (not because what some people may believe head east torwards the lake to find Gino's East)was because Gino's East was East of the ORIGINAL Gino's located on Rush street.The original Receipe and the best came from Gino's on Rush they are the best in town.If you look on the Gino's East website they will tell you who opened it in 1966 it wasnt a man called Gino it was 2 other guys who took the idea and tried to copy the receipe as close as possible to the ORIGINAL GINO'S ON RUSH which is still on Rush street to this day 930 N. Rush to be exact and still the best and one of the last of the true Deep Dish pizza joints in the city.So if your looking to have the best Pizza in Chicago or for that matter the world if you from here or when you visit go to
    THE ORIGINAL GINO'S PIZZA ON RUSH EST.1954.GinosPizzaChicago.com
    If you have anymore ?'s about Gino's On Rush don't hesitate to ask.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1106
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/10/03 10:59:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pizzafiend

Gino's on Rush is the ORIGINAL cornmeal deep dish pizzerria in Chicago they opened over 50 years ago in 1954 on Rush street @
    932 N. Rush street.Gino's East did not start until 12 years later in 1966 on Superior the reason Gino's East was called Gino's east (not because what some people may believe head east torwards the lake to find Gino's East)was because Gino's East was East of the ORIGINAL Gino's located on Rush street.The original Receipe and the best came from Gino's on Rush they are the best in town.If you look on the Gino's East website they will tell you who opened it in 1966 it wasnt a man called Gino it was 2 other guys who took the idea and tried to copy the receipe as close as possible to the ORIGINAL GINO'S ON RUSH which is still on Rush street to this day 930 N. Rush to be exact and still the best and one of the last of the true Deep Dish pizza joints in the city.So if your looking to have the best Pizza in Chicago or for that matter the world if you from here or when you visit go to
    THE ORIGINAL GINO'S PIZZA ON RUSH EST.1954.GinosPizzaChicago.com
    If you have anymore ?'s about Gino's On Rush don't hesitate to ask.

I just returned from a trip to Chicago and was disappointed to discover that the Gino's on Rush was closed for remodeling. We walked down to the Giordano's on Rush instead and it was just not as good. Do you have any information about when Gino's on Rush will re-open. The last time one of my favorite places to eat had a similar sign on the door, they never re-opened (Bob Melton's in Rocky Mount, NC). I really hope this is not the case.
    Pizzafiend
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Gino's on Rush in Chicago 2005/11/01 06:30:22 (permalink)
    From what i understand they are closed for remodeling until some time early next year.I don't think it is going to stay closed they have been there for over 50 years and i dont think they are leaving any time soon.As soon as i find out more i will let all of you know.Im trying to find out cause im craving a Gino's Special Deep Dish Sausage,Mushroom,Greenpepper,and Onion.Yummmmmmmmmmm
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1