Girl Scout Cookies

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/09 13:42:33 (permalink)
I had my very first experience with ALL Abouts and they were quite good. Still, I will always prefer Thin Mints and Tagalongs.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/09 13:55:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nansterSorry to poop on a fun thread, but maybe there's a politically-incorrect issue with the name "Samoas". Hence the generic name change.
I wouldn't be surprised. The BOY Scouts have been fighting the political correctness demons for some time, and I guess the Girl Scouts were due.

I never pre-order, but the local Methodist church hosts it's buffet dinner and has a table full of cookies when you walk in the door, so I never do without.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/09 14:13:55 (permalink)
Hello All,
For some reason it is hard to find Girl Scout Cookies in my area. But Yankeesfan, a few years ago I was able to
get a box of Samoas, and they are addictive. I love them.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
TwoJays
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/09 14:27:09 (permalink)
I'm also a big fan of the "Samoas" - now known as "Caramel DeLites". Very difficult to open a box and not eat the whole thing, but I've been good this year and have only had them one or two at a time.

John
(Thin Mints & Shortbread share 2nd place for me)
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/09 20:46:43 (permalink)
I bought one box of Samoas (as they're still called here - what's your deal, other places?) and didn't eat them all in one sitting, but they're gone now.

Must. Have. More. Samoas.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/13 20:24:51 (permalink)
I just stocked up

All Abouts
Thin Mints
Lemonade
P Butter Sammies
Trefoils (shortbread)
and
The chocolate covered shortbread cookie

"Durn little girls with tears in their eyes and the PUHLEEEZE mister would you buy some cookies to help send me to camp"

Oh well it is only money..... and my blodd sugar level.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/13 20:27:00 (permalink)
got the tag a longs, the samoas and the thin mints..
then the hubster bought a half gallon of dryer's
samosa ice cream. i had to lock the freezer cause that
stuff is dangerous.
jajarino68
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/14 08:37:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Yankeesfan

My daughter quit Girl Scouts this year so I wasn't able to order from her. Then when they sold them after church last Sunday I only had $10.00 and some change with me so I was limited to three boxes. (They lasted until yesterday afternoon.) I intentionally refrained from buying Samoas because I am the only one in the family who will eat anything with coconut and once I open a box of Samoas, I'm a goner ... meaning, I keep going until they're gone!
I was curious what a box of cookies cost. They were selling them at a couple places here in Tn and the cost was $3.50. But from your post, I gather you paid $3.

Oops, nevermind. saw you had some change. :-)
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/14 14:29:44 (permalink)
Here in SE indiana they are $3.00/box
In N Kentucky I paid $3.50
In Florida I paid $3.50
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/14 14:31:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I had my very first experience with ALL Abouts and they were quite good. Still, I will always prefer Thin Mints and Tagalongs.

They are quite good for a reduced fat cookie

Stay away from the sugar free brownie bites though
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/14 14:37:56 (permalink)
CajunKing-
I didn't even realize that they were a reduced fat cookie. My girlfriend actually gave them to me. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?
Yankeesfan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/14 18:29:58 (permalink)
They are $3.50 a box here. When I sold them back in the late sixties they were 50 cents a box. It was considered rather shocking when the price went up to 75 cents a box! And they were made by Burry's. (I lived in Vermont and then upstate New York.)
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/14 21:30:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKingI just stocked up

All Abouts
Thin Mints
Lemonade
P Butter Sammies
Trefoils (shortbread)
and

"Durn little girls with tears in their eyes and the PUHLEEEZE mister would you buy some cookies to help send me to camp"

I always (well, not all always) just mention that I'm diabetic, even though I'm not. Sometimes I give them a fiver so they can go to camp, or buy their own cookies, or whatever.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/15 15:18:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
Originally posted by CajunKingI just stocked up

All Abouts
Thin Mints
Lemonade
P Butter Sammies
Trefoils (shortbread)
and

I always (well, not all always) just mention that I'm diabetic, even though I'm not. Sometimes I give them a fiver so they can go to camp, or buy their own cookies, or whatever.

I couldn't help it, the little girl actually got down on her knees and begged for me to buy some.

(Her mom is one of my good friends and she put her up to it)

What can I say, I am a sucker for a cute face and an big PUHLEEEEEZE.
trayguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/17 21:20:46 (permalink)
My niece is a GS and I get the Thin Mints every year. I am very tempted to buy a case of them every year.
Yankeesfan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/17 23:09:38 (permalink)
Edy's makes "limited edition" ice creams this year; one version is chocolate with pieces of Thin Mints and another has pieces of Samoas. Smart idea!
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 582
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/21 05:05:02 (permalink)
I had some THIN MINTS last week!!

Ah...........
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/21 16:13:53 (permalink)
Girl Scout cookies........ I like all the varieties.I suggest we buy an assortment, quadruple your order far beyond what you will consume. Take some to work, Sunday school and any other gatherings you attend. Our young ladies deserve our support.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/22 12:54:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

Girl Scout cookies........ I like all the varieties.I suggest we buy an assortment, quadruple your order far beyond what you will consume. Take some to work, Sunday school and any other gatherings you attend. Our young ladies deserve our support.

the heck with them freeloaders

quadruple your order and freeze them until later.

I had 4 boxes stolen by "Mr Nobody" this week from my office, which PMO very much, if they woulld have asked I would have given them to them, but to steal

Now the GS are no longer selling them and I have none put back for the summer
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/22 13:14:09 (permalink)
Hey Mr. King, buddy,

You need to get a grip! I share your grief over the stolen cookies, but look at the bright side: they could have stolen your office!
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/03/22 16:24:49 (permalink)
CajunKing, we feel your pain. Stealing your Girl Scout cookies?? Thats about as low as it gets! I suggest you call the cookie police! My little woman(wife) is in law enforcement. Like Barney Fife, you know. She's available to do a little moonlighting as a private detective. She may be able to find that criminal!
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/03 21:00:21 (permalink)
I nearly brained one of my housemates. She answered the door when the neighborhood Girl Scout made her annual entreaty. The idiot said no one at the house wanted to buy any cookies! Aaaaargh!!!! Even worse, our house is usually good for $50 or so in sales.
My fallbacks are the local grocery store and the mall I worked in. But the grocery was being sold and the mall was under reconstruction.......
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/13 00:04:27 (permalink)
I had a couple of great experiences this year. I don't ever buy these cookies for me, and I avoided the scouts this year as much as possible, but two encounters were great.

The first was at a gas station/convenience store. As I was walking in, a little girl, no more than 3 feet tall, walked toward me with a big smile on her face. She didn't say a word, but she melted my heart. I asked if she had some Caramel Delights (my wife's favorite), and she started shaking her head "Yes", and she ran back to the table. I bought two boxes, simply because I couln't help it.

The next was when I was walking in to a grocery store. This girl asked me if I would buy some, and I replied, "I'll get some on my way out." No fool was she, as she replied, "Actually, we're only going to be here a few more minutes." So, I asked what she had.

She walked around the table and recommended two. She pointed to one box and said that, "these are really good with milk", then she pointed to another and said they were great with coffee.

How could anyone resist that??? I bought the "coffee ones" (as I remember, they were some kind of cinnamon snaps).

Just for the record, as I left the store, the table was gone, so she was telling the truth. But, she was a great little salesgirl!!!
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/13 00:05:53 (permalink)
we just opened our last box of thin mints
and tag a longs.
Arcayne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/15 22:42:49 (permalink)
I tried everything to get GSC this year. I called the local troop three times and emailed them twice. I didn't see anyone out selling and now it's over. The heck with the rules, I'm buying them off Ebay. If the local troop doesn't want my business, so be it!
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/16 10:59:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ArcayneI tried everything to get GSC this year. I called the local troop three times and emailed them twice. I didn't see anyone out selling and now it's over. The heck with the rules, I'm buying them off Ebay. If the local troop doesn't want my business, so be it!
All I have to do is go shopping or to a church function and they have tables set up. Ahh, life in the Midwest.
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/16 11:07:55 (permalink)
Well, at least the GS are selling a product. Here in the Memphis area, it is very common to have kids stand outside the grocery store with buckets. They are raising money for the cheer squad or band, but it still just seems like begging to me.
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/16 11:36:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by susanllWell, at least the GS are selling a product. Here in the Memphis area, it is very common to have kids stand outside the grocery store with buckets. They are raising money for the cheer squad or band, but it still just seems like begging to me.
Y'all should come up north. Here, they sell candy bars for the most part, that have coupons for $1 off at many fine, though not roadfood fine, local establishments like Subway or McD's. The cost of the candy bar? $1 per bar, and they're better than the Hersheys you get at the grocery checkout or filling station counter. Essentially it costs 5.5 cents (the sales tax on the dollar I still have to pay at Subway or McD's when I use the coupon). Scout troops and many churches will serve you meals that seem overpriced unless you remember that you can have seconds without any grief. Here in Kenosha County, WI, JUST north of the Illinois State Line (commonly referred to as the Cheddar Curtain), we have a state senator who buys a to-go order at each church dinner. Not only does he get good home cooked eats at least once a week, but he builds some serious goodwill amongst the members of churches, Scout troops, rescue squads, and other worthwhile members of the community. That will serve him well on election day!

If only our tax base here wasn't so confiscatory.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/16 17:00:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
Originally posted by susanllWell, at least the GS are selling a product. Here in the Memphis area, it is very common to have kids stand outside the grocery store with buckets. They are raising money for the cheer squad or band, but it still just seems like begging to me.
Y'all should come up north. Here, they sell candy bars for the most part, that have coupons for $1 off at many fine, though not roadfood fine, local establishments like Subway or McD's. The cost of the candy bar? $1 per bar, and they're better than the Hersheys you get at the grocery checkout or filling station counter. The boy scouts and many churches will serve you meals that seem overpriced unless you remember that you can have seconds without any grief. Here in Kenosha County, WI, JUST north of the Illinois State Line (commonly referred to as the Cheddar Curtain), we have a state senator who buys a to-go order at each church dinner. Not only does he get good home cooked eats at least once a week, but he builds some serious goodwill amongst the members of the community.

If only our tax base here wasn't so confiscatory.

"World's Finest Chocolate Company" They do make really good chocolate.
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Girl Scout Cookies 2007/04/17 02:23:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing"World's Finest Chocolate Company" They do make really good chocolate.
Indeed they do, and I lived most of my life in city that hosts the world's fourth largest producer of chocolate (That's Ambrosia, which is sold mainly to bakers and others who buy wholesale, including the people who make Tootsie Rolls), and now live not too far from a branch of the second (That's Nestles, and the city that it's in hosts Chocolate Fest on Memorial Day weekend. My brithday is, no lie, May 27th. Guess what I'm gettin'?). www.chocolatefest.com/ I hope some of you can make it, if possible, on Friday, because that's when Big Beautiful Mich and I are going.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1