Give me an opinion please.

Author
konnie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 334
2009/12/18 21:41:12 (permalink)

Give me an opinion please.

I'm always trying to come up with something different to set our trailer apart from others.  Here is my latest so give me your opinion please.

Our primary product is 1/3 lb Buffalo Burgers/cheeseburgers and Hamburgers/Cheedeburgers  We have always sold them on a large 4 1/2" bun like everyone else.  I'm thing about getting a conveyor toaster and selling them on Texas Toast, toasted on both sides.  The cost would be about the same but it might be something different to set me apart from the other vendors.  I'm just not sure if Texas Toast would go over as well as buns.  What do ya think?

Mike S.

28 Replies Related Threads

Papa Deuce
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/18 21:58:37 (permalink)
    Well, I am not yet a professional, but I TOTALLY think I would enjoy them on Texas Toast, and I always like "something" different.
    Ice Cream Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/18 22:13:28 (permalink)
    Just a real good bun for me please.
    I'm a bread and bun fanatic.
    When the experts talk about texture, flavor, and so on I'm interested in contrasts.
    I must be able to eat the bun alone and be happy the same as the meat or cheese or chili.
    When everything is put together I must be able to taste and enjoy each and every element of the product I bought.
    If you were talking about bacon & eggs the better the toast the more I would eat.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/18 22:17:24 (permalink)
    I like an occasional patty melt on grilled rye, but in general, I definitely prefer some sort of soft or moderately soft bun to any type of bread.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/18 23:24:59 (permalink)
    I would jump to a a pretzel roll to stand out for a burger that weighs that much.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 00:01:41 (permalink)
    Go to a smaller bun and let it hang out over the edge and make it look like a1/2 LB burger. Add grilled onions and green peppers.

Or better yet improve your signage and add very good pictures out front. Make them big (pictures) and people will not just walk by they will line up and order.

Make your place look more professional than anyone else at the event.

And most important.........move that grill from the back to the front of your stand so they can see, smell and almost taste those great burgers, grilled green peppers and onions.

Jack
    konnie
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 00:39:20 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Go to a smaller bun and let it hang out over the edge and make it look like a1/2 LB burger. Add grilled onions and green peppers.

Or better yet improve your signage and add very good pictures out front. Make them big (pictures) and people will not just walk by they will line up and order.

Make your place look more professional than anyone else at the event.

And most important.........move that grill from the back to the front of your stand so they can see, smell and almost taste those great burgers, grilled green peppers and onions.

Jack

Thanks Jack those are all great suggestions.  In my 40x60' shop I am building a new trailer this winter.  It is 8x20'  with wood siding and designed like the Yankee Southern BBQ rig with a 6' porch on the front only I will have a grill instead of a smoker.  Now that I'm 1/2 done I wish I had went to 24' trailer but it's too late.  I'm painting it red with white trim and calling it "The Burger Barn".  I hope when finished it will look as good as a $45,000 Yankee Southern.

I am going to go to a 4" bun to make the burgers look bigger and I'm already working on the pics.  I'm gonna convert my old 8x14 metal trailer into a cold trailer called "Jamacian Ice" and run both at the shows.  In it I will have the frozen slushees, shaver, chocolate covered frozen bananas, cheesecake and twinkies.  I'll also have ice cream and drinks.  The items in it will have a lot lower food cost and a better mark up (.22 in a frozen banana that sells for $3.00 ain't bad) so it may make more net money than the meat wagon but who cares where it comes from as long as it comes, right!!!  My wife says I enjoy designing, working on and creating new ideas more than I do working the wagon which may be true but actually I enjoy both.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike S
    Ice Cream Man
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 10:01:21 (permalink)
    The smaller bun.
    I may buy one if you're the only one around.
    I don't want to see meat on a burger or a dog when the bun is closed. Every bite should have bun meat and fixins in it.
    I hate nibbling around the edges.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 10:26:48 (permalink)
    I will throw out the general drawback angles of smaller buns for larger burgers....for consideration.

When mobile if the burger is juicy or greasy (in a good way) the bun is not there and may become a little messy.

Toppings other than cheese maybe do not reach the perimeter and some view that as an incomplete experience if the desire is to have those toppings.
    If a burger happens to be a tad on the dry side....it is exposed with no help from condiments or toppings that provide some moisture like ketchup onions or pickles.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/12/19 10:28:20
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 11:05:43 (permalink)
    I use a 4 1/2" bun and that should fit your buffalo burger just right, I would keep the bun. If you want to use Texas toast then offer a

Texas  Buffalo Cheddar melt with Fried onions.
    Texas Buffalo Pepper Jack dip
    Texas Buffalo pepper bacon Cheddar Melt
    Texas Buffalo Double Jack Melt...Using Jack Daniel's sauce glaze and Pepper jack cheese

I have a cheese melter and people like the word melt. they could see the cheese dripping off the burger. Like Jack said, get some great picture of your Texas toast Buffalo burgers.

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3300
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 11:28:40 (permalink)
    A great burger is about the meat, just like a great pulled pork sandwich. The meat's the star, the bun's secondary. I prefer something smaller vs something larger. The latest trend with burgers has been the "slider." A smaller, "White Castle" type version. To vend sliders, market them as a "Flight of Sliders," a group of three. They're small, cute, and customers can easily consume two flights with no problem or food conscience. Top them with Velveta, an American comfort food!

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 11:50:23 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

A great burger is about the meat, just like a great pulled pork sandwich. The meat's the star, the bun's secondary. I prefer something smaller vs something larger. The latest trend with burgers has been the "slider." A smaller, "White Castle" type version. To vend sliders, market them as a "Flight of Sliders," a group of three. They're small, cute, and customers can easily consume two flights with no problem or food conscience. Top them with Velveta, an American comfort food!

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

Prof - That says it all.
    I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to the slider. 
    I want a handful of hamburger that isn't overpowered by the bread. 1/2 pound is almost too much - 1/3  fits well. I think Texas Toast is too overpowering. The pretzel roll is an interesting idea to play with. I personally like the crunch of a griddle toasted sesame seed bun. That's the way we do it at home and my family rarely eats burgers from fast food places. We save our burger excursions for places that stand out i.e. Twisted Root, The Golden Light, Health Club, etc (all Texas joints).

I'm not into the trendy burger - meat, cheese, meat and cheese. If I want lettuce and tomato, I'll order a salad.  Throw in the occasional grilled onions, some jalapenos, a little mustard - BOOM. Perfection.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 12:11:04 (permalink)
    I like the flight of sliders. A large order for the entire family could be a herd of buffalo sliders. This way when someone wants "just a  a bite"  of the food they can be given them their own. Saving customers the battle at the Fair.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/12/19 12:14:33
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 12:32:36 (permalink)
    konnie

I'm always trying to come up with something different to set our trailer apart from others.  Here is my latest so give me your opinion please.

Our primary product is 1/3 lb Buffalo Burgers/cheeseburgers and Hamburgers/Cheedeburgers  We have always sold them on a large 4 1/2" bun like everyone else.  I'm thing about getting a conveyor toaster and selling them on Texas Toast, toasted on both sides.  The cost would be about the same but it might be something different to set me apart from the other vendors.  I'm just not sure if Texas Toast would go over as well as buns.  What do ya think?

Mike S.

Mike, I already think your offering something different and that is buffalo burgers. Down here in the badlands of New Mexico, after being a food vendor for more than 10 years, I`ve ran across only one vendor selling buffalo burgers. So that sets you apart from 99% of the others. I like the Texas Toast idea. I think it would fly. Why can`t you give your customers the option of having a hamburger bun or Texas toast? What I`m saying is, don`t throw the buns to the pigeons yet!
    Just my thoughts........

Gary

BTW, enjoyed our conversation last week.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 12:37:39 (permalink)
    A great Burger deserves a Great Bakery made Bun, crisp lettuce, Beefsteak tomato slice, Walla Walla onion and good condiments. Every part of the finished product is important. If the whole package wasn't important then Tiffany would just throw the jewelry in a plastic bag, and not the little blue box. If your proud of what you have, show it in how its served.............BillB
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 12:51:34 (permalink)
    Texas toast usually translates here as garlic bread. The plain loaf is available in the Supermarket but most associate it with a thick slice of garlic bread. I am not a fan of garlic on everything but a not too moist flavored butter and spice blend post toasted  used sparingly just for a hint on the inside top and bottom might work well.

Flat toasted bread with no heel or crown needs an experiment with your burger. Have to see how flush it is...if it soaks through...if it is a nice height from top to bottom with toppings. A juicy tomato will tell you where you stand on structure with the combination of a heavy burger on toasted bread.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/12/19 13:07:57
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18381
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 14:18:27 (permalink)
    BillyB

A great Burger deserves a Great Bakery made Bun, crisp lettuce, Beefsteak tomato slice, Walla Walla onion and good condiments. Every part of the finished product is important. If the whole package wasn't important then Tiffany would just throw the jewelry in a plastic bag, and not the little blue box. If your proud of what you have, show it in how its served.............BillB

If I get lettuce, tomato and raw onion on my burger it goes back.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 14:30:29 (permalink)
    Well Michael, there must be a reason why 99.999% of the better restaurants will serve it with Lettuce, Tomato and raw onion. My be Hoffman's plain burger restaurant chain will be different...........
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 14:47:53 (permalink)
    BillyB

Well Michael, there must be a reason why 99.999% of the better restaurants will serve it with Lettuce, Tomato and raw onion. My be Hoffman's plain burger restaurant chain will be different...........

When I order a hamburger or a cheeseburger in a place that sticks lettuce, tomato and onion on one without being asked I order it without that stuff. It's interesting to me that so many places add that stuff.

Growing up in Connecticut, a burger with that stuff was called a DeLuxe, and you had to pay extra for it. The first time I encountered such a thing was in Amarillo, Texas, at a Whataburger. When I was given the thing I asked why they'd put it on when I hadn't ordered it. I was told that's the only way they serve them. When I asked for one without it I was told they were not allowed to make one without lettuce, tomato and onion. Oh, and they used shredded lettuce (something I'd never heard of before. )

I left and went to the Trailways bus station where I was able to get a cheeseburger the way I wanted it.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/12/19 14:49:52
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 14:51:15 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

BillyB

When I order a hamburger or a cheeseburger in a place that sticks lettuce, tomato and onion on one without being asked I order it without that stuff. It's interesting to me that so many places add that stuff.

Growing up in Connecticut, a burger with that stuff was called a DeLuxe, and you had to pay extra for it. The first time I encountered such a thing was in Amarillo, Texas, at a Whataburger. When I was given the thing I asked why they'd put it on when I hadn't ordered it. I was told that's the only way they serve them. When I asked for one without it I was told they were not allowed to make one without lettuce, tomato and onion. Oh, and they used shredded lettuce (something I'd never heard of before. )

I left and went to the Trailways bus station where I was able to get a cheeseburger the way I wanted it.

What killed me about TX burgers was they put mustard on without my permission.  Those burgers about killed me.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:01:23 (permalink)
    I always get mine with mustard, if possible. Actually, dark mustard and mayonnaise when I can. If the mustard is yellow I just get mayonnaise.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/12/19 15:02:36
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:17:25 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

Michael Hoffman

BillyB

What killed me about TX burgers was they put mustard on without my permission.  Those burgers about killed me.

Not enough mustard? 
    It must be a Texas thing. I'm more open minded than some. Mayo or catsup - ketchup on a burger? No way? On a griddle? Nope. The thought of a steamed burger (a la Ted's) would be borderline Communistic in most parts of Texas. Heck, I'd take a charbroiled burger to a flat top griddle burger 10 out of 10 times.
    It's all in what you grew up with. I'm with Michael though, leave the salad on the side. 
    As the JITB commercial said, "bread is neither meat, nor cheese."

If you're ever in Amarillo again, the Golden Light on old Route 66 serves  mean double cheeseburger with hatch chilies - hand cut fries. Make sure and get a handful of napkins before you sit down.
    wag75605
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:20:39 (permalink)
    In East Texas a hamburger always comes with lettuce, tomato, pickles and onions unless ordered otherwise. Most times a hamburger comes with mustard and a cheeseburber with mayo. I believe this is true most places in the South. Just a matter of Yankee's vs Southern taste I guess.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:23:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip. I may get a chance to get out there again one of these days. My grandson thinks he might end up stationed at Fort Bliss, and I have a daughter and her family in Scottsdale, so I could be in the area. I always liked Amarillo -- except for the fact that when it snowed they didn't know how to plow the roads.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:24:40 (permalink)
    BillyB

BillyB,  I have new for you.  The better restaurants  serve you  your burger anyway  that you want it!
    Ice Cream Man
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:47:04 (permalink)
    OK now i get it. Sometimes I'm a little dense.
    When I first came here looking for Hot Dog advice I heard there was nothing like a Nathens, but wait a minute, it has to be a Vienna, oh no it's good as long as it's a beef Dog from a local butcher who has pride in his product, and a million other suggestions.
    How do I load it.
    It has to be Chicago style, No Texas chili, no home made sauce, no Cole Slaw.
    There is no right or wrong just what the majority of what your customers will pay for. If I get a customer from Chicago he's not going to be happy because up here we don't eat chunks on our dogs.
    So I'll sell what tastes good to me, what I was raised on, what I can make money on and take sugestions from the majority of my customers.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 15:53:42 (permalink)
    Greymo

BillyB

BillyB,  I have new for you.  The better restaurants  serve you  your burger anyway  that you want it!

In the restaurant business its called a Hamburger set up. The kitchen will have green leaf or a nicer larger piece of Iceberg lettuce, slice of tomato or two, and a slice of onion and a pickle. They do this in most high volume gourmet burger houses. They don't demand you eat it, it just comes with your order............BillyB
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 17:17:48 (permalink)
    And if it comes on the plate when I order my burger without it then it goes back.
    konnie
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Give me an opinion please. 2009/12/19 18:04:56 (permalink)
    BillyB

Most B&M will serve lettuce and tomato up here but it's a HD no no here in Kansas unless you keep the the lettuce and tomato in the fridge and dress the burger for the customer.  We set the condiments out and they dress their own so we can't serve them.  We don't dress them because when we hit a rush there just isn't time.  However, in our area, raw onions are big sellers.  We go through a ton of chopped onions in a days time.  I've seen some customers put on 4 or 5 spoonfulls.  Maybe they don't know how good our meat tastes and with all those onions, they never will.  LOL

Mike S
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1