Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go!

Author
Unknown Cavalier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2005/01/02 17:17:21 (permalink)

Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go!

These just happened to be two of the most gross places to eat! Did the Bon Vivants have anything to do with them? I think maybe a can of tainted vichysoisse could have been lying around. Whatever happened to Maria and Andrew Paretti, the owners of Bon Vivant, now the Moore Soup Company? Well, Sam Cochran Jr. ended up dying from eating the soup, and it paralyzed his wife. I think we all ought to boycott vichysoisse.

18 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/02 19:45:30 (permalink)
    Uh, uhm, yeah, sure dude *scratches head*

On a related note, because of the horrid Burger King Angus Burger, which reported contains meat, cheese, vegetables, and bread....I will be abstaining from eating meat, vegetables, cheese, and bread from now on.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/02 19:47:06 (permalink)
    I don't understand... Ground Round is gone but not 99??
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/02 20:14:36 (permalink)
    All I can say is................ HUH?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/03 03:21:59 (permalink)
    The GR in Hagerstown, Md. is back open. It was shuttered for awhile but we noticed it open about 2 months ago.

MikeS.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/03 19:24:07 (permalink)
    For the benefit of those who are scratching their heads, please allow me to try to give some clarification. Bon Vivant was a smallish, "gourmet" soup company that was located in Newark, NJ. Many years ago, they produced a batch of bad Vichysoisse, which suffered from being processed/canned at too low a temperature to kill the bacteria. After the cans were sealed, Botulus bacteria (the ones that cause Botulism) grew, as that type of bacteria is anaerobic, and the vacuum-sealed environment was ideal for their growth.

Remember that, while the Botulus bacterium can be killed by heating to a high temperature, since Vichysoisse is eaten cold, the people who were unfortunate enough to buy this stuff were poisoned. Dying from Botulism is not a pretty picture.

I have to give Unknown Cavalier credit. While I remember the Bon Vivant incident fairly well, I could not name any of the victims, as he (she?) obviously can, nor could I name the proprietors. I was also unaware that they simply changed their corporate name to The Moore Soup Co.

Also, I am very hazy on exactly when this incident occurred, but I would guess that is was most likely somewhere around the late '60s. Cavalier--please edify me as to the exact date!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/03 21:38:29 (permalink)
    I understood the Bon Vivant reference, and it was discussed a year ago as well, ironically enough also in ChiChi's thread

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2829&whichpage=2

I just couldn't piece together how he went from Chi Chi's closing to boycotting soup.

Maybe that's just me, *shrug*
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 09:08:10 (permalink)
    TJ--Well, I also can't make the connection between Chi-Chi's demise and Bon Vivant's tainted soup. While I enjoyed going down memory lane, I can't quite figure out how that path leads to the door at Chi-Chi's. Perhaps Unknown Cavalier can enlighten us regarding a possible connection here.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 09:33:16 (permalink)
    Back in the days when I was a bon vivant I did not often partake of soups, cold or hot, except, of course, when my grandmother made her wonderful chicken soup with kanaidel.

Ah, those were the days. On a cold winter night we'd climb aboard the sleigh and wrap ourselves in the fur blankets and then let the driver spur on the three horses that so ably drew our conveyance through the newly fallen snow.

Those wonderful nights always seemed to end with a toddy or hot buttered rum to take the chill away as we warmed our backsides before a roaring fire.

It was unfortunate, we always thought, that when the fires burned out the poor residents of what remained of the charred hovels had no place to sleep that was not open to drafts. But, what were we to do -- visit a Chi Chi's or a Ground Round? Surely those places would never do for bon vivants such as we.
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 09:36:29 (permalink)
    No wonder lots of the veteran contributors to this forum are upset with some of the newer "content" being added! What does something that happened over 30 years ago that is related to packaged food have to do with the demise of two restaurants over the last year, which is only peripherally related to the main topic of this forum, which is "Roadfood"? And, why boycott vichysoisse????
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 09:40:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cedwin

No wonder lots of the veteran contributors to this forum are upset with some of the newer "content" being added! What does something that happened over 30 years ago that is related to packaged food have to do with the demise of two restaurants over the last year, which is only peripherally related to the main topic of this forum, which is "Roadfood"? And, why boycott vichysoisse????

Why boycott vichysoisse? Because the way those vichysoisse treat the people who work in their mom & pop roadside cafe's is disgraceful.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 09:56:41 (permalink)
    err, that'd be bourgeois, not vichysoisse....
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 09:59:43 (permalink)
    Actually the poster claims (and he may be right, dunno, not important to me) in another thread that the owners of Bon Vivant either bought the Moore Soup Co or changed Bon Vivan't name to Moore, and somewhere along the line The Moore Soup Co came to own the ChiChis and Ground Round franchises -- and that was/is the connection.

Still seems pretty irrelevant to me, regardless :-) but what the hey.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 10:10:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

err, that'd be bourgeois, not vichysoisse....

Bourgeois? Isn't that some sort of cold soup made with carrots or potatoes, or some other vegetable that you have to dig up?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 10:20:07 (permalink)
    Err, no. I mean yes. I mean...aww, the heck with it :-)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 10:23:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Err, no. I mean yes. I mean...aww, the heck with it :-)

DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/04 10:51:00 (permalink)
    Many of the GR owners in the Lake Champlain area bought back their franchises, and are working on buying back the licensing and staying open.
    The "99" chain was sold within the last couple of years to the owners of the "O'Charley's" chain.
    rayj
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/19 18:21:04 (permalink)
    I think Bon Vivant was one of the oldest companies in the U.S. I used to work @ Hickory Farms, and we carried about 20 of their varieties, all being very high priced. The deaths of consumers and the company occured in 1970 or 71 I believe. It was a real eye opener in the food industry, and brought light the the fact that alot of food related deaths were probably not properly diagnosed, especially those that did their own canning.

I get in the back of a lot of restaurants in my business, and it's amazing how many of them are just a step away from getting shut down. Some of the full service chains are the worst, and there's always a lot jokes, and some truth to the Oriental themed family opertations. Has anybody seen my cat?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Glad to see ChiChi's and Ground Round go! 2005/01/19 19:08:34 (permalink)
    The Sundancer is personally not glad the Ground Round is on the demise. I enjoyed them back in the late 70's with their salted nuts in the shell, their pinball machines and their burgers. I really hate to see any place that I enjoyed bite the dust. I hope they pull out of it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1