Gloves

Author
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2012/05/25 01:12:27 (permalink)

Gloves

Come July, our HD is changing rules and making it mandatory to wear gloves if you are to be handling either cooked or uncooked food. You are allowed to handle food with clean hands if it is to be cooked. But things like buns, or condiments, etc, must all be handled with gloved hands.
I am sure these rules are common in various HDs around the country. I was wondering how you've dealt with some of the issues of glove wearing.

I just wanted to list my personal peeves with glove wearing:
Does not necessarily encourage handwashing if hands are covered most of the time.
Hands get sweaty and uncomfortable.
Lack of sensitivity in hands due to covering.
Lack of dexterity when doing detailed work, like chopping vegetables.
Costs of purchasing disposable gloves.
Environmental effects of disposable gloves.
Gloves can get contaminated and pass it to food as would bare hands. (false sense of security)

I did take some time to see a hot dog vendor recently who was not wearing gloves, serve a sandwich. He skillfully manipulated the bun and dog by using tongs and his fingers through the wax/foil paper that ultimately wrapped the sandwich.
To me, I think learning how to not touch the food would be the easiest thing to do rather than start utilizing gloves. Has anyone tried those loose fitting plastic gloves? We use vinyl gloves but only if someone doesn't want to get their hands "oniony" when chopping or if they have a bandaid on their hand/finger.

23 Replies Related Threads

stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 07:04:55 (permalink)
    I have two types of gloves I wear: those flimsy oily gloves for "regular" days, and a heavier powdered vinyl glove for really humid days (reason being, it is impossible to get an unpowdered glove on without it tearing on a really humid day.

I am a huge fan of glove use. Here in Massachusetts we are required to wear gloves any time we are working with food ready for service. Reading your post, I agree with most of your objections; however, most of the potential pitfalls can be overcome with proper training and practice. If the proper policies are set up I feel gloves actually encourage hamdwashing rather than discouraging it like you suggested. Make it a hard and fast rule that hands get washed every time gloves get changed. Then specify every scenario when gloves have to be changed. I bet your employees will wash their hands more, not less, if they follow the rules.

When I was the food safety manager for the supermarket I used to work at, our rules were simple: wash your hands every time you change your gloves, and change your gloves every time you: touch your hair, touch your face, touch your clothes, touch a counter, touch the floor, touch the wall, touch the ceiling, touch the trash, touch raw meat, touch raw seafood, touch a door handle, leave your immediate work area, go to the restroom, go on break, or handle dirty dishes, or every 15 minutes even if you do none of the above.

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 08:08:24 (permalink)
    There is no substitute for common sense and personal responsibility.  Neither of which I believe is something most americans can say they posess today.  If you can't teach people to wash their hands, then you can't teach them to use gloves properly.  It's a conundrum.  Why on earth should the world, after being alive with humans for so many centuries, suddenly decide that everyone needs to wear gloves?   It's absolutely absurd.  And I still believe that you are only further allowing your future generations to have more allergies and diseases.  I refer to: 
    http://www.hygienehypothesis.com/
    I'd recommend you take the over staffed HD people in the US, fire them and put them in public schools teaching common sense.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 08:08:28 (permalink)
    think of all the disease (and food born illness) that wouldve been prevented by that thin latex,...
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 10:18:15 (permalink)
    I visited Stubby last year and pumped him for information about the business. (Love the stubby dog!) The conversation came around to gloves/sanitation and he told me about how the body is constantly shedding skin cells and gloves are a necessity, not an option.
    I researched it and found that we shed 30-40,000 skin cells an HOUR. Now even if only 500 of those come from the hand, thats still 1,000 an hour.
    Since then I have watched people prepare my food more carefully and have in the past, refused to eat certain things because of the hygiene that was demonstrated. If nothing else, gloves give the customer an implied sense of comfort and also shows that the owner is concerned about his operation.

post edited by Hot Dog Empire - 2012/05/25 10:20:37
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 10:22:44 (permalink)
    Bistro a go-go

think of all the disease (and food born illness) that wouldve been prevented by that thin latex,...

And unwanted children from people who were not ready or fit to have them!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 10:52:30 (permalink)
    People with hairy hands should wear gloves no matter what...or handscape. Shudder.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2014
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 11:10:10 (permalink)
    Bottom line, gloves are a pain in the ass, but we are all required (or will be) to use them. I go through 3-4 boxes a week, just myself at close to $6 a box for the cheap vinyl and close to $8 for latex.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 11:31:40 (permalink)
    This rule has been in place here for as long as I can remember.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 14:56:54 (permalink)
    BUBA...i FOUND THAT AT SAMS YOU CAN GET THEM FOR BOUT 3 BUCKS A BOX ....THE CHEAP VINYL ONES, AT MY SAMS THEY ARE AROUND THE MOPS , CLEANERS ETC. PROB SAME FOR B/J'S OR WHAT EVER IS IN YOUR AREA SAYS FOOD GRADE... SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT TO LAZY TO PUSH THE CAPS OFF BUTTON.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 15:56:22 (permalink)
    LOL... You were too lazy to take the caps off but wrote a sentence apologizing about it. ROFL
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2014
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 17:40:49 (permalink)
    BUCK....NO SAMS OR BJ'S AROUND HERE... I can buy a pack of cigs. Cheaper than a box of gloves ....go figure.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/25 19:28:30 (permalink)
    I like the nitrile ones I buy at Sam's in the pharmacy section.  They are handy and I use them for other things. They are cheap and I go thru a lot when I work the cart (I only put glove on one hand).  I get the "small" size.  David uses the slick plastic ones in the restaurant supply section. I simply can't get them to stay on my hands and forget about even picking up a bun with them on.   He also wears them on one hand. They are not required out here so David doesn't wear them all the time. They tend to touch the griddle and melt or get too close and melt. Won' be a problem much longer. Switching to ice cream in about a month but will still wear gloves. Ice cream can be messy.

On edit: we do not wash our hands after every glove change.  Can't get the gloves on after that.  What I do is wash my hands dry them, dry them again (it's hot here and my hands can sweat apparently), put a glove on, make sandwich, wrap, give to customer. make change with ungloved hand. Gloved hand only touches food (bread) we use tongs for everything. Make next sandwich. Between customers, strip off glove, toss it and touch NOTHING. If I touch something, I wash my hands.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/05/25 19:42:55
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/26 08:23:28 (permalink)
    had a h/d inspector tell me after he saw me put gloves on without washing ..I can shut you down right now or you can wash your hands before you put the gloves on.....damn...
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/26 17:48:04 (permalink)
    Come to NM! You can get away with almost anything it seems. When we were still in Socorro, we had folks from almost every restaurant in town show up at our cart. They said we were the cleanest in town. HD said we were the cleanest.  We didn't eat out much in Socorro. I won't tell you about the chinese buffet... it would make you ill. We ate there once. Walked out the second time when we saw them setting up the buffet.

I find events out here.... interesting. And few gloves to be seen.

We were watching a store that sold hand dipped ice cream among other things a couple days ago (soaking up the cool air in the mall... temps hit over 100°F... it was hot). No gloves for anything, no hand washing (and needed to several times), ice cream scoops stored in dipping cabinet (in the tubs of ice cream) and they used ungloved hands to handle the scoops. The cones are wrapped in paper so they never actually touched the cone.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/05/26 17:49:20
    Fried Pie Lady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/27 12:05:06 (permalink)
    I too have an aversion to the gloves on a personal basis and am committed to wearing them on a professional basis. I work in a 6'x12' trailer making fried pies, so there's a fire going under the oil the whole day. It gets *hot* in there! So I'm constantly trying to put a glove on a damp hand - comparable to trying to put on pantyhose that are three sizes too small! DWags, I went from using the correct size to a larger size just because of that issue. Has anyone ever tried putting antibacterial goo on their hands just prior to putting a glove on? Does it help with getting them on or make it even more difficult? Here in Arkansas, you don't need to wear gloves at all but as the health department guy said, "People like to see gloves on the hands of the food prep people." That grossed me out to the point where I think twice about eating out!  Still, most restaurant workers here do wear them.
    evanjohnson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/28 13:58:32 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

People with hairy hands should wear gloves no matter what...or handscape. Shudder.

How about hairy arms?  How do you eat a hand tossed pizza and feel comfortable about it?

DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/30 01:39:43 (permalink)
    evanjohnson

CCinNJ

How about hairy arms?  How do you eat a hand tossed pizza and feel comfortable about it?

I don't understand what people's big problem is with hair. Or skin cells for that matter. Get over it.
    Clean hands with clean finger nails can touch my food, as I am sure they have for 35 years of my life. I am still here, no major problems to report.

I understand the appearance factor that gloves can have to the typical customer, as Hot Dog Empire pointed out. I just don't think gloves are comfortable or practical. I do agree that it is not necessarily a glove problem but an employee and manager/owner problem if someone is not using gloves properly.

I suppose statistically speaking, HD probably are operating on the idea that when gloves are used properly, there is much less chance of food borne illness transmission. This doesn't take into account the user gloved fingertips melting to a hot griddle, uncomfortably sweaty hands, costs to owner, costs to environment, etc, etc. But they are probably the important facts of the statistics they are considering.
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1020
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/30 12:21:47 (permalink)
    I love it when I see a vendor serve a hot dog, take money, make change, and then grab the next bun...all with the same gloves on his hands.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/30 13:37:34 (permalink)
    If you don't understand the problem with hair and skin cells...never mind.
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/30 16:25:43 (permalink)
    i sell gloves for a living. ask your vendors for a sample of there gloves. or better yet cal the manufacture they will gladly send you samples.
    just do not ask for cases ask for a box.bottom line is if the heath deparment tells you you have to use them. suck it up and use them.
    there are some good gloves and bad ones. some you can even chop vegtables with lol. gotta follow the rules my man. as i always said
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Gloves 2012/05/31 14:53:08 (permalink)
    Bistro a go-go think of all the disease (and food born illness) that wouldve been prevented by that thin latex,...

Not to mention unwanted pregnancies.

Bart
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Gloves 2012/06/06 04:31:04 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

If you don't understand the problem with hair and skin cells...never mind.

How does hair transmit disease?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Gloves 2012/06/06 09:03:09 (permalink)
    There's more to rules regulations and function of the HD way beyond and above the threshold of disease prevention. They also are the agency that responds to concerns and complaints of the public. It will differ from place to place but many of the rules are in response to previous offenders that do not have much concept of or any respect for sanitary conditions.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/06 09:18:46
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1