The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly.

Jack211

• Total Posts: 24
Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Wed, 08/8/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
Hey everybody, doing the vacation planning again,  we are planning to go back to  Misquamicut beach area and looking for some new good eats. It's myself and my wife and our three boys 5 and 3 and 16 months. I am looking all around the area. We have no problem traveling 1/2 to hour for food from Westerly/Misquamicut. 
We have gone the last a couple years and loved the area, and from the advice here we went to-

Crazy Burger-LOVED IT
W.B. Cody's- Okay
Cousins Dawg house-(I think it changed names or closed?)
Senor Flacos- was GREAT for kids
Van Ghent Cafe- Loved it

We will probably go back to these places, were looking for some new places to add to the list, so any help is greatly appreciated. I looked into the older posts(search option) and was just wondering if anybody had new ideas or updates
Thanks

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Wed, 08/8/12 12:32 PM (permalink)
    If you want to "eat like a local" you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not going here

Probably one of the best restaurants in Rhode Island.

waltpiii

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Wed, 08/8/12 12:46 PM (permalink)
      Denise and I have always had a good meal at Maria's on Atlantic Ave in Misquamicut.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
        Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Wed, 08/8/12 5:13 PM (permalink)
        wanderingjew

If you want to "eat like a local" you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not going here
        Probably one of the best restaurants in Rhode Island.

I'm drooling over the menu!!!

Jack211

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Thu, 08/9/12 7:47 AM (permalink)
          That menu looks AWESOME, it looks alittle upscale, might have to try to do an early bird with the boys. We will definitely try Maria's, it's really close to where we are staying. Thanks for the new places. Any other hole in the walls I should be stopping by? What about a good pizza place for a quick dinner night?

Jack211

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 7:20 AM (permalink)
            What the hey?! Just noticed Senor Flacos is closed!? They had a great game room that you could see from your table, the kids LOVED it. That's too bad, we really enjoyed going there. I was looking around and what do you guys know about these places? any good or even still open?

-Mermaid Cafe
            -Saim Cuisine
            -Amanda's Pantry
            -Markos
            -Beijing Dumpling
            -Golden Chopsticks

Thanks again for all the good tips, hopefully find a replacement for Senor Flacos

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
              Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 8:08 AM (permalink)
              If really EXCELLENT BBQ (pork or beef) is of interest, Kit Kats in Stonington, CT is a must.  It's very informal (converted home with picnic tables in the back yard), but they actually smoke their meats vs. the grilled / stewed BBQs typically served in New England (most seem to be served from a can).  They rival the best of the southeast & TX, but don't expect much ambiance other than being a BBQ shack where the picnic tables should be ideal for the kids.   

http://www.kitkatsbbq.webs.com/

Another could be Two little Fishes in Westerly - another very informal setting (converted fast food building) - mostly fried seafood, but an excellent CT style lobster roll (served warm with butter).

Evidently they have moved from  near downtown to near the beach since I was there last where the new setting is apparently much better.
              http://www.yelp.com/biz/two-little-fish-westerly

While Spain is no doubt outstanding, I have my doubts about it being child friendly - especially youngsters.  It's setting is more of fine dining where the intent is to spend a leisurely few hours over drinks, etc.    
              <message edited by mjambro on Fri, 08/10/12 8:50 AM>

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 8:25 AM (permalink)
                Jack211

That menu looks AWESOME, it looks alittle upscale, might have to try to do an early bird with the boys. We will definitely try Maria's, it's really close to where we are staying. Thanks for the new places. Any other hole in the walls I should be stopping by? What about a good pizza place for a quick dinner night?

I'd hardly consider Spain "upscale", but it's neither a diner, drive in or dive.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
                  • Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                  Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 8:33 AM (permalink)

I'll secong the recomendation for "Spain".  Rhode Island's version of Spanish with a heavy Azorean Portuguese twist. 

Glenn

mjambro

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 8:57 AM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew

Jack211

I'd hardly consider Spain "upscale", but it's neither a diner, drive in or dive.

I'd be curious to hear what you might consider "upscale".  Except perhaps for Castle Hill, We've found Spain to exceed most that we've found in Providence,  Newport or elsewhere in RI (for quality, service and ambiance).

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 9:07 AM (permalink)
                      mjambro

wanderingjew

Jack211

I'd be curious to hear what you might consider "upscale".  Except perhaps for Castle Hill, We've found Spain to exceed most that we've found in Providence,  Newport or elsewhere in RI (for quality, service and ambiance).

I feel perfectly comfortable walking in without a suit or tux, neither of which is required and can certainly spend much less than $200 a plate or even $100 a plate for that matter, Spain is hardly "upscale", but with the "diners, drive ins and dives" mentality that seems to prevail on this forum, I can understand why some might think it is.

Jack211

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 10:45 AM (permalink)
                        I appreciate all these great suggestions and please by all means keep then coming. I must admit that I do sometimes have the "diners, drive ins and dives mentality", I do enjoy "upscale" places also. Spain looks very nice and the menu looks great, I would love to go there BUT I don't think with my kids. At 4 1/2, 3, and 14 months (while we do go to restaurants so they learn how to behave) it would be a trial by fire at a new restaurant that looks to be fairly nice. On vacation now we look for place that are good food and great for the family and if the kids get a little ancy it's not a huge deal. Some restaurants just have a look of "If my little guy isn't 100% , it's going to make for a rough dinner.  We have tried different things before and have had some success and some failures and end up getting it packed to go at the appetizers. Like Dirty Harry always said- " A man has to know his limitations" 

mjambro

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 1:17 PM (permalink)
                          wanderingjew

mjambro

wanderingjew

Jack211

I feel perfectly comfortable walking in without a suit or tux, neither of which is required and can certainly spend much less than $200 a plate or even $100 a plate for that matter, Spain is hardly "upscale", but with the "diners, drive ins and dives" mentality that seems to prevail on this forum, I can understand why some might think it is.

OK - Please name a restaurant in RI where one can only be comfortable (or might be turned away if not in "proper / formal/semiformal" dress) in a Tux or full suit.  I'm not aware of any in East Greenwich, Providence nor Newport.   Evidently >$100 entree is your requirement for fine dining.  If so, fine.  We obviously have different standards for "upscale" dining.    Even Ocean House does not meet your requirement since a jacket is not required and they have plenty, if not most entrees <$50.

mdphilippbar

• Total Posts: 12
                            Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 1:23 PM (permalink)
                            My wife and I were in Charlestown beach last Labor Day Week. We loved this place in Galilee ,RI
                            Champlins Seafood. It is both a seafood market as  well as a restaurant.
                             They are located at Champlin's Seafood
                            256 Great Island Road
                            P.O. Box: 426
                            Narragansett, RI 02882
                            Phone: (401) 783-3152
                            We couldn't get enough of their clambake.

We also enjoyed the Matunick Oyster Bar
                            629 Succotash Road
                            South Kingstown, RI 02879
                            (401) 515-3110
                             Great raw bar and an upscale take on beach eats. Go early as it gets very busy.
                            Have fun!
                            <message edited by mdphilippbar on Fri, 08/10/12 1:30 PM>

mjambro

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 1:51 PM (permalink)
                              Matunick Oyster Bar yes, but probably not suitable for youngsters - expect a long wait.

I'd avoid Champlin's (Iggies, Georges & Aunt Carries, as well), except perhaps for Champlins lobster, fried flounder & baked flounder.   IMO, their fried shellfish (clams, scallops, shrimp) are terrible - almost as bad as Iggies & Aunt Carries.   Their fries are also terrible and their chowders are more like dish water than chowder.  I usually like RI style chowder, but theirs is very weak /watery. 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                mjambro

Matunick Oyster Bar yes, but probably not suitable for youngsters - expect a long wait.

I'd avoid Champlin's (Iggies, Georges & Aunt Carries, as well), except perhaps for Champlins lobster, fried flounder & baked flounder.   IMO, their fried shellfish (clams, scallops, shrimp) are terrible - almost as bad as Iggies & Aunt Carries.   Their fries are also terrible and their chowders are more like dish water than chowder.  I usually like RI style chowder, but theirs is very weak /watery. 

Agreed.

Champlin's is still the best of the lot...

George's has good Stuffies, but little else.

Aunt Carrie's does have good clamcakes

I'm still trying to figure out what Iggy's has thats good
                                Unfortunately the best RI clam shack, Evelyn's is on the east bay and is no where near where you'll be staying.

and the non touristy Crows Nest here in Warwick is also one of the best.

But I digress

mjambro

Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Fri, 08/10/12 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                  "I'm still trying to figure out what Iggy's has thats good 
                                  Unfortunately the best RI clam shack, Evelyn's is on the east bay and is no where near where you'll be staying. 

and the non touristy Crows Nest here in Warwick is also one of the best. "

Iggies serves Yacht Club sodas....... period.  Never found anything else worth ordering. 

Crows Nest is agreeably quit good - especially their excellent (cold) lobster salad rolls & NE style chowder, but they are probably not worth the drive from Westerly.  

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
                                    • Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                                    Re:Going back to Misquamicut/Westerly. Sat, 08/11/12 7:12 PM (permalink)

As a RI Native and now a regular visitor (not currently living there) .... My 2 cents .....

Love The Crow's Nest!

Only thing decent at Iggy's are the dough boys, but there are much better ones avaiable elsewhere.  Skip Iggy's!

Skip Georges!

Champlins .....maybe, .... if no other options.

Aunt Carries:  Only for clam cakes and Indian Pudding.  Best Inidan pudding any where in New England, IMO.

Spain:  EXCELLENT!!!   It is considered upscale ... to Rhode Islanders.   No offense WJ, but If I remember correctly, you're a NY transplant.   Native RI'ers have lower standards of upscale.  ... And proud of it, too!   ;) 

From Westerly, SeaSwirl in Mystic, CT is not too far away.  Great fried seafood.   Very kid firendly, and they have okay ice cream.    

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Sat, 08/11/12 7:16 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com