Going form MA to FL

Author
L&R
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2004/01/12 11:23:23 (permalink)

Going form MA to FL

Traveling from Boston, MA to Daytona Beach, FL. Traveling Rt 84 to 81 to 95. (Getting onto 95 in VA). Looking for Good places to eat along the way. Don't want to eat a t rest stops allthe way down.

Can you Help? We like all kinds of food.

9 Replies Related Threads

rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/12 12:11:33 (permalink)
    If you're going far enough south on 81 to get to Staunton, VA, I heartily recommend a visit to the Mrs. Rowe's, which is just off of the freeway at the Staunton exit. Very good food (especially the fried chicken, pork chops and homemade rolls and pastries) at reasonable prices. Check out the Sterns' review elsewhere on this site. They also review other places that are just off of 81, but Mrs. Rowe's is one of my personal favorites
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 03:16:09 (permalink)
    L&R, you sound like perfect candidates to try out the new integrated map and reviews talked about on the home page. I think it's free thru January. It sounds perfect for you. 84 and 81 in particular.

Where exactly will you join 95.

This route has been discussed frequently. Go back a few pages. You will find lots of suggestions for BarBQ in the Carolinas. Savannah is a very worthwhile short detour. Try Mrs. Wilkes or Lady and Sons.

Some of the busier exits south of Virginia will have a wide variety of chains. Steak and Shake is one of my favorites. If you are a northerner and have not been to one before, it is a good experience.
    You will also find a thread for the Waffle House and raves about the loaded hash browns. Again this type place can be welcome if it is not in your area.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 06:08:32 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood.com.

Signman's suggestion about using the integrated map is an excellent idea. That would be the best way to begin using the resources here.

I always recommend buying a Stern's dining guide. Roadfood (2002) is the most recent one. The Sterns have superb food judgement and their guides are well organized and beautifully written. I particularly like sharing my guide books with others. The two most recent ones just returned home from Texas where they helped a friend discover new roadfood treasures in a state he's not familiar with.

Members here been asked several times where one might eat along I 95 from New England locales to Florida. For multitudinous, helpful replies just look at the forum titles in the category "Where Should I Eat". We just answered this question again a few weeks ago. Some of the forums even have "I 95" in the title. I've written at least 6 posts with I 95 suggestions.

They are there for you and they are current.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 08:49:52 (permalink)
    I highly recommend Uncle Willy's Barbeque if you are willing to make a very short detour off of 84 in Waterbury, CT. It is two exits (I think) up Route 8 N. Take a right off of the ramp and it will be in a little strip mall on the left. GREAT EATS!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 09:20:47 (permalink)
    If you decide to stop in Connecticut, try some very good Western New England Chicken Pie at Tasty Chick in Vernon CT. about 2 1/2 miles off exit 64-65 on I 84. You can have plenty of bbq in the Carolina's and Georgia. Also I'm sure someone is going to recommend Rein's Deli in Vernon CT, however same thing, you can have plenty of that in NYC
    L&R
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 10:37:58 (permalink)

Any suggestion's for Breakfast from about PA and south? We are going to leave at about 4pm so will probably eat dinner around CT or NY. But breakfast will be further south.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 10:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by L&R

Any suggestion's for Breakfast from about PA and south? We are going to leave at about 4pm so will probably eat dinner around CT or NY. But breakfast will be further south.

Depending on how far south you go, Richardson's Restaurant on Dual Hwy in Hagerstown, MD has a decent breakfast. I've also heard good things about the Moosic Diner in Moosic PA (near Scranton) however I've never been there.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 10:57:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by L&R

The afore-mentioned Mrs. Rowe's does breakfast, and does it very well. I also like Waffle Houses, which are common in the South and Midwest.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Going form MA to FL 2004/01/13 12:51:41 (permalink)
    My suggestions for Daytona, would be either of the Stavro's Pizza House, and The Oceandeck.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1