Going to Boston

Author
Goodellsboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2003/08/09 14:27:11 (permalink)

Going to Boston

I am going to Boston and Bar Harbor Maine in about four weeks--on a budget. Where can I go for some of the best, inexpensively priced food in Boston and/or seafood in Bar Harbor? Thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/10 17:10:58 (permalink)
    There is an Asian-style food court with about a dozen different vendors next to the Super 88 Asian supermarket at the corner of Brighton Ave and Malvern. This is at the point where Comm(onwealth, but no one finishes the word -- ditto "Mass Ave") Ave and Brighton meet, which on the streetcar map is called Packard's Corner.

At the food court, I favor Kantin's house special chow foon (with pork, beef and chicken), but there's also a great Korean place, a Japanese noodle place, some fair Indian, a sushi bar and Vietnamese and Thai stalls. There's also Lollicup, which does yummy bubble tea in a huge variety of flavors. At any of these, you can have lunch or dinner for well under $10.

In the same rough area, there's my favorite Chinese restaurant in town, Quan's Kitchen (corner of Comm Ave and Babcock St): get the beef and tofu on egg-fried rice, or the barbecued pork on pan-fried noodles. More food than you can eat for under $6.

Also try Spike's Junkyard Dogs at Brighton Ave and Linden St, the first MA location of a RI chain. Excellent dogs, and the house brand root beer is good too.

There's also a branch of Anna's Tacqueria (excellent burritos, and this is coming from a New Mexican) at Harvard Ave and Fuller St. (There are also Anna's in Porter Square Cambridge, and on Beacon St. west of Coolidge Corner.)

Further south on Harvard Ave, you hit Coolidge Corner, where there's Zaftig's Deli (go for breakfast), the Paris Creperie (get the ham, gruyere and asparagus, plus a smoothie), JP Lick's (best ice cream in the area), Mr. Sushi (excellent sushi despite the name -- as my friend said "Mr. Sushi is okay. It's Senor Sushi you have to worry about" -- but it's pricey), and several other, pricier places. Heading north on Harvard Ave back towards Brighton Ave, there's Inbound Pizza, which has many excellent specialty pizza and calzones, not to mention wraps and sandwiches and really surprisingly good lasagna.
    There is a huge Brazilian population in my neighborhood, and two excellent Brazilian restaurants. Cafe Belo is cheaper: it's pay by the pound buffet, with a roasted meat station where you can get your fill of Brazilian roasted beef, pork and chicken. This is next to a Brooks Pharmacy in a small strip mall at Brighton Ave and Allston St. The better, although somewhat pricier, option is Cafe Brazil, at Cambridge Street just west of Harvard Ave: order anything. You can't go wrong.

Harvard Ave between Comm Ave and Brighton Ave is paved with Korean and Japanese/Korean restaurants, almost all of them excellent. Avoid Seatopia: you'll think that the sign says "Scatopia," but the real problem is that the food is overpriced and very mediocre.

Wow, there's a lot of good food in my immediate neighborhood...
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/11 13:24:07 (permalink)
    I'm only familiar with the Anna's Tacqueria in Porter Sq., though I presume they're all pretty much the same; I found their tortilla wraps to be oddly springy. Not bad, but odd. If you are in the vicinity, try Boca Grande on Mass. Ave., just out of Porter in the direction of Harvard Sq. for similar fare.

Patty's Pantry on Dorchester Ave. (or Dot Ave, as it's called, to continue the abbreviated street names) in Dorchester is a favorite for sandwiches. It's an institution. Parking can be difficult, but hey, welcome to Boston.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7288
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/13 04:00:05 (permalink)
    Best fish and chips in Boston: Sail Loft on Atlantic Ave. Good chowder there too. Overall great seafood with outdoor cafe: Yankee Lobster Fish Market......they have the best crabmeat in New England, it's all hand-picked on the premisis as is the lobster meat (I know, I used to be the General Mgr.!) and of course, fabulous lobsters.....up to 17 pounds and they'll cook it for ya! En route to Bar Harbour, stop off in Essex and go to Woodman's, it's a must and they really do have the best fried clams, as does the Clam Box in Ipswich. When you get to Newburyport stop off at the Black Cow Tap & Grill and enjoy a cocktail out on the deck overlooking the water and the yachts. Ah......summer in New England.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7288
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/13 04:06:43 (permalink)
    Yankee Lobster is located at 300 Northern Ave. on the Boston waterfront, down from the infamous Jimmy's Harborside and Anthony's Pier 4.
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/13 11:31:50 (permalink)
    In Boston, can't miss Quincy Market. It is like an indoor flea market of restaurants. My Favs are the "chowda houses" Not far from the old North Church.
    http://www.boston-online.com/cityviews/quincymkt.html
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/13 14:37:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

En route to Bar Harbour, stop off in Essex and go to Woodman's, it's a must and they really do have the best fried clams, as does the Clam Box in Ipswich.

I have to disagree: Woodman's has been coasting on its reputation for years, and the clams are nothing to write home about. However, the Clam Box in Ipswich (as opposed to the similarly-named place on Wollastone Beach in Quincy, and probably a dozen other restaurants in New England) is outstanding, the ne plus ultra of clam shacks, and is well worth a visit. It's also conveniently close to Crane Beach, the best public beach in the region and one of my favorite beaches in the world.
    tigerbright
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Going to Boston 2003/08/29 11:13:36 (permalink)
    Seatopia may have gotten better since the person who panned it above went there. It's on Harvard Ave just south of Comm Ave. It's not atrociously pricey (for sushi, it's moderate - which is to say I went by myself and got out for under $30), and I enjoyed the food. I ordered Tuna TarTar (their version of tekka don) and a salmon eggroll (deep-fried) and both were excellent.

Other (and more inexpensive) restaurants I'd recommend:
    Mary Chung's in Central Square Cambridge (Chinese)
    Bartley's Burgers in Harvard Square Cambridge (burgers and not much else)
    Rami's in Coolidge Corner Brookline (kosher Middle Eastern)
    Taam China on Harvard Ave in Brookline (kosher Chinese)
    Chef Chang's House on Beacon St in Brookline (Chinese)

In Maine, if there's a Weathervane seafood restaurant where you are, go. They're a good ME-local chain.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1