The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Going to Seattle

Author Message
Fllwfan

  • Total Posts: 8
  • Joined: 8/11/2003
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
Going to Seattle Tue, 08/12/03 9:36 AM (permalink)
Suggestions are appreciated for the gamut, especially delis, Indian, & Thai. Also, please give input on one upscale dining experience.
Merci,
Mary
 
#1
    wanderingjew

    • Total Posts: 7384
    • Joined: 1/18/2001
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Going to Seattle Tue, 08/12/03 10:21 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fllwfan

    Suggestions are appreciated for the gamut, especially delis, Indian, & Thai. Also, please give input on one upscale dining experience.
    Merci,
    Mary


    I haven't lived in Seattle in over 7 years, however I can tell you that Indian and Thai restaurants are abound and you will most likely not be dissappointed. I had a friend from England living in Seattle who knew his Indian food. He used to go to Shamiana in Kirkland an eastside suburb. I am sure they are still around. I used to go to an excellent Thai Restaurant in Bothell, a northshore suburb called Thai Rama. For an upscale seafood experience, Ray's Boathouse is a must. Excellent Salmon. As far as deli's are concerned, unless you're looking for a good Asian deli, then...forget it, very hopeless. Awful! Awful! Awful!
     
    #2
      signman

      • Total Posts: 1743
      • Joined: 10/23/2000
      • Location: Baltimore, MD
      RE: Going to Seattle Tue, 08/12/03 10:33 AM (permalink)
      Ivars for salmon and chips
       
      #3
        VibrationGuy

        • Total Posts: 229
        • Joined: 12/7/2002
        • Location: Seattle, WA
        RE: Going to Seattle Tue, 08/12/03 5:32 PM (permalink)
        There's an extensive thread on Seattle, recent even, at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=851

        Shamiana remains excellent for Indian. Thai has become ubiquitos (and mostly dreadful), but there's a place down by the airport where the Thai Airways crews stay that is suppossed to be divine. If you're interested, I'll try to dig it up.

        Eric
         
        #4
          Fllwfan

          • Total Posts: 8
          • Joined: 8/11/2003
          • Location: Cincinnati, OH
          RE: Going to Seattle Tue, 08/12/03 5:45 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by VibrationGuy

          There's an extensive thread on Seattle, recent even, at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=851

          Shamiana remains excellent for Indian. Thai has become ubiquitos (and mostly dreadful), but there's a place down by the airport where the Thai Airways crews stay that is suppossed to be divine. If you're interested, I'll try to dig it up.

          Eric



          Whoa Eric...merci mille fois for the thread, I'm sure that I'll find everything that I need there. My mouth is watering already.
          Mary
           
          #5
            vinelady

            • Total Posts: 162
            • Joined: 4/14/2003
            • Location: Seattle, WA
            RE: Going to Seattle Fri, 08/15/03 3:43 PM (permalink)
            If you are willing, try Saigon Deli for their Bahn Mi. Best Sandwiches around.
             
            #6
              Fllwfan

              • Total Posts: 8
              • Joined: 8/11/2003
              • Location: Cincinnati, OH
              RE: Going to Seattle Fri, 08/15/03 3:46 PM (permalink)
              I'm ignorant but adventurous...what's Bahn Mi?
              Thanks,
              Mary
              quote:
              Originally posted by vinelady

              If you are willing, try Saigon Deli for their Bahn Mi. Best Sandwiches around.
               
              #7
                vinelady

                • Total Posts: 162
                • Joined: 4/14/2003
                • Location: Seattle, WA
                RE: Going to Seattle Mon, 08/18/03 12:52 PM (permalink)
                They are wonderful vietnamess sandwiches, I would recommend the Grilled Pork or the Tofu. See http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30 for full descriptions and debate. :D
                 
                #8
                  Fllwfan

                  • Total Posts: 8
                  • Joined: 8/11/2003
                  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                  RE: Going to Seattle Tue, 08/19/03 9:58 AM (permalink)
                  Brilliant! They sound yummy, will try for sure.
                  Merci,
                  MG
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by vinelady

                  They are wonderful vietnamess sandwiches, I would recommend the Grilled Pork or the Tofu. See http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30 for full descriptions and debate. :D
                   
                  #9
                    vinelady

                    • Total Posts: 162
                    • Joined: 4/14/2003
                    • Location: Seattle, WA
                    RE: Going to Seattle Tue, 08/19/03 12:35 PM (permalink)
                    YOu might also enjoy Sea Garden in the International district. They do a wonderful Dungeness crab. yummy.
                     
                    #10
                      yummygrrl

                      • Total Posts: 2
                      • Joined: 9/10/2003
                      • Location: harpers ferry, WV
                      RE: Going to Seattle Thu, 09/11/03 3:58 AM (permalink)
                      God do I love Seattle. Lets start with the Pikes Market-a foodies wet dream. Matts In The Market has the best lamb-yes lamb-chili ever and all round good food. The Pink Door is the only place I've ever been to that has a trapeze artist swinging overhead as you dine. Tom Douglas has 3 places-Ednas and I forget the other 2. Sea Catch is a good bet but if your in the international district check out the fab oriental grocery mega store-something like Ujamia. In pioneer square is Salumni owned by Malto Mario's parents-open only for lunch. Down on the water is Eliotts-they have about a zillion types of oysters. In Seattle you can't throw a dead fish without hitting some gr8 place.Have a wonderful time but beware of Interstate 5-be afraid be very afraid.
                       
                      #11
                        Fllwfan

                        • Total Posts: 8
                        • Joined: 8/11/2003
                        • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                        RE: Going to Seattle Thu, 09/11/03 1:55 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks for everyone's suggestions...we returned on Tuesday and had a great time noshing our way through Seattle. Desserts were amazing...Coconut pie at Dahlia Lounge, the unique & decadent Hot Fudge Sundae at the Icon Grille and Basil Cheesecake at the Mandalay Café. Great lunches at Noodle Ranch, Qazis, MSN-HQ and the Seattle Art Museum. Fab dinner at Wild Ginger, and 2 trips to the gelato store on 1st, Bottega Italiana, made the trip complete. Next trip we'll sample a bahn mi sammich, wish that we could have fit in more!
                        MG
                         
                        #12
                          wesza

                          • Total Posts: 54
                          • Joined: 7/11/2003
                          • Location: seattle, WA
                          RE: Going to Seattle Thu, 09/11/03 4:28 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by wanderingjew

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Fllwfan

                          Suggestions are appreciated for the gamut, especially delis, Indian, & Thai. Also, please give input on one upscale dining experience.
                          Merci,
                          Mary


                          I haven't lived in Seattle in over 7 years, however I can tell you that Indian and Thai restaurants are abound and you will most likely not be dissappointed. I had a friend from England living in Seattle who knew his Indian food. He used to go to Shamiana in Kirkland an eastside suburb. I am sure they are still around. I used to go to an excellent Thai Restaurant in Bothell, a northshore suburb called Thai Rama. For an upscale seafood experience, Ray's Boathouse is a must. Excellent Salmon. As far as deli's are concerned, unless you're looking for a good Asian deli, then...forget it, very hopeless. Awful! Awful! Awful!
                           
                          #13
                            Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                            Jump to:

                            Current active users

                            There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                            Icon Legend and Permission

                            • New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

                            2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com