Golden Corral, anything good there?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/20 20:02:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Niagara

Old Country Buffet here (sadly, now closed) was a lot better than GC.

GC is like a large trough where the hogs are fed, with similar quality food. Don't EVER go near GC on their "Veterans Eat Free" nights, unless you want to try to fight through a crowd of geezers attempting to relive the battles of WWII as they assault the buffet. Their "steaks" can be taken home and sewn together to make loafers.

I agree with Niagara on this one.
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/20 20:08:56 (permalink)
sorry, PapaJoe,
we went tonight and they are still not open for business.
i'll keep you informed.
dayle
CasperImproved
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/20 20:55:03 (permalink)
Went to their web site menu link... did anyone else note that if you clicked on an item it came back with the "nutritional" facts for the items? An example I have open at the moment... their "Roasted Herb Pork Chop" has for a 3oz serving, 334 calories, and 1619gms of sodium.

I can't think of a "worst for you" 3oz serving of anything...

Casper
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/21 01:11:34 (permalink)
They've just opened one right across the street from me on Northern Ave near 59th avenue here in Glendale, AZ. I think it opened last week.

The place is packed every time I've seen it. I'm in no hurry to patronize it.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/21 02:06:09 (permalink)
I have not yet eaten there, the girls @ work told me it's like Old Country Buffet, but with more meat, and a little better quality of food, with the same quality of patrons.

Do you think they could do any of the hot vegetables salt free for just one person? Or what they have is what you get? I hate paying a lot of money for a salad I can make at home for less than $5.
xannie_01
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/25 18:21:22 (permalink)
the hubster and i just came back from the grand opening of golden corral#2 in the country.
the place holds 995 people, has 5 managers on site at all times and the food is every bit as good as the mediocre buffets in LV. for $5.99, it was an all you can eat orgy. spaghetti w/ meatballs, hot italian sausages, lasagna, pizza, bruchetta, veal parm, chicken caccatori, antipasti minestroni. that's the italian section. the american section had corn, green beans, lima beans, carrots, baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes, cabbage,mushrooms, salads, seafood salad, pickled beets,pot roast, fried chicken, fried clams, baked tilapli, beer battered fried halibut, clam chowder, meatloaf,turkey sliced to order as was ham, the mexican section had posole, enchiladas(cheese and beef) chili, tacos,refried and pinto beans,tamales,calabectas..the asian had spring roll wraps,pho,beef and broccoli, shrimp lo mein,
hunan shrimp, pork, family delight, squid, crab legs,hot and sour soup,fried tofu..the bakery had a chocolate fountain, fresh fruit,cakes galore, cup cakes, eclairs, cookies, 6 different sherbets 6 different flavor ice creams,cream puffs, cobblers(apple, peach, blueberry, blackberry). i forgot the chicken noodle soup, the tortilla soup, the pies,and free refills.oh, and the puddings, including indian pudding, baked apples with cinnamon candy in the center. this was the early bird food.
at 5, the real meal starts with shrimp, steak,ribs,along with everything else. whew!i forgot the chicken fried steak,liver and onions chicken pot pie...
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/25 18:54:35 (permalink)
Wow, I am speachless and real jelious!!! And.... real hungry now! Thanks! Oh, and how did you remember all that stuff?

And Oh! Xannie, when is one due to open in north Texas???
Joe
xannie_01
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/25 18:58:43 (permalink)
PapaJoe, i took notes.. the mgr wouldn't let me take pics, darn it. this is #2 #1 is in ohio.
don't know if and where #3 will be but he definitely said it's based on a vegas type buffet.
you can always come west and visit the hubster and me the sweety sounds like she needs a road trip.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/25 19:16:54 (permalink)
I almost asked about the pics. I guess it's still a kinda secret place.

Thanks so much for the invite! Tha sweety probably DOES need a road trip. I'm not sure we would ever make it to Golden Corral with all the good cookin you do!!!
Joe
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/26 10:49:16 (permalink)
Ah, Golden Corral. We eat there a lot when we visit family in KY. My grandparents love it, lots of options for them. They like a cup of soup with their meals, and there's always at least one acceptable soup being offered. My Grandfather is diabetic, so eating at Golden Corral gives him more options than other places.

My sister can't stand the place. She doesn't like buffets in general but really dislikes GC. She doesn't like to be crowded at restaurants and GC really does seem like a cattle chute sometimes.

Me? I load up on their salads. The salad bar is usually great. I find their meat choices iffy at best, sometimes okay, sometimes overcooked. If I get something from their hot bars, I stick with veggies. Hard to mess up veggies.

GC is on par with Ryan's ,I guess. I miss Quincy's.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/27 12:15:13 (permalink)
I like GC way better than Ryan's. I have a friend who thinks otherwise. Wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed.
Joe
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/09/27 16:56:44 (permalink)
GC is better in our area - in fact, we just had a Ryan's close down here.
DamnTheCowboys
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/10/02 23:00:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rpc717

The first time I ate at Golden Corral was in Orlando - they had cheeseburgers on the lunch buffet which were outstanding.

Are you sure you didn't dream that?

For the record, it's the one place I have SWORN off. I can't stand it. But if ever dragged there again against my will, I will take note and get the salad bar only, maybe soup, and then hit some cookies and ice cream for dessert.

Golden Corral blows.

xannie_01
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/10/02 23:18:02 (permalink)
okay, for the most part, it does blow. but they're making a bunch of huge changes for the better; better quality, cleaner, better service. i am a very picky eater and this gc has managed to keep me happy and willing to visit again. it's so busy nothing sits under a heat lamp for long. i've been there 3 times now and have yet to see a table left dirty, a food tray left empty or dried out.this gc could very well be the execption, but if i were traveling on I40 through albuquerque i would make it a point to stop.
rpc717
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/10/04 23:33:35 (permalink)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rpc717

The first time I ate at Golden Corral was in Orlando - they had cheeseburgers on the lunch buffet which were outstanding.

Are you sure you didn't dream that?

I'm positive - it was the first time I ever saw the place, and I've seen it since. The cheeseburgers were all put together, and they were grilled to perfection. No lie. Like I said, though, I've since given up on Golden Corral, because it's always extremely disappointing.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/10/07 01:29:23 (permalink)
Our GC here in Akron was really good when it first opened. The place was spotless and the food was surprisingly good. The last time I was there a couple of months ago, it was still pretty good. The salad bar is fresh, the pot roast is very good. The fried chicken is good. I usually opt for the roasted chicken. The mashed potatoes are good and most of the veggies are too. The desserts are fair. The steak is good to me but probably isn't nothing to crow about.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Golden Corral, anything good there? 2006/10/09 09:23:28 (permalink)
Does GC still serve their "thick cut" sirloin steak? At almost 2" thick; that's what I used to order, along with a huge 14-18 oz. baked potato with grilled mushrooms and bell peppers and a salad from the salad (not super) bar.
I remember their CFS and country gravy was passable, too, but not by much. The only other thing I liked was their fried chicken wings and fried sweet potato logs.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1