The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Golden Corral

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 65
ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 1:55 AM (permalink)
let us know how you like the Golden Corral, IntelligentT82.!!

DavidEMartin

• Total Posts: 173
    Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 11:37 AM (permalink)
    The nearest GC is 20 miles away in the exurb of Waukesha.  But it is always worth the trip, especially if we remember to get in under the wire and only pay the Lunch rate. 

As for the critics --  If you're a snob who can afford to eat at a steak house, well, good for you.  Some of us are on a  budget and looking for the best we can afford ! GC is far and away the finest deal for the money.
    <message edited by DavidEMartin on Mon, 12/7/09 11:39 AM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 11:54 AM (permalink)
      DavidEMartin

As for the critics --  If you're a snob who can afford to eat at a steak house, well, good for you.  Some of us are on a  budget and looking for the best we can afford !

Here is the logic that I could never understand.  Besides the fact that anyone who disagrees with your point of view being wrong, of course.  I, too, am on a budget - but, I choose to spend my money on things that I can appreciate.  My condo is small, my car is paid for, and I have a roommate that splits the bills.  This allows me the opportunity to spend my money on the things that I care about - some of which include travel and dining out. 

If you appreciate Golden Corral - knock yourself out.  But, if you are saying that the only reason you eat there is monetary, I guess I would question why you would spend your obviously hard-earned money on something inferior.  I eat in restaurants all the time - so, if I have one clunker of a meal, I shake it off and figure that I will be eating again soon enough.  But, if someone on a limited budget who can only dine out once in awhile has an inferior meal, that could be a problem. 

I have yet to find a city in the United States where I couldn't find a reasonably priced, good quality, locally produced meal in a restaurant - including some of the most expensive cities in the country (NYC, San Francisco, San Diego, etc.).  If, for some reason, you cannot, then it is simply because you choose NOT to.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
        Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 12:36 PM (permalink)
        DavidEMartin

The nearest GC is 20 miles away in the exurb of Waukesha.  But it is always worth the trip, especially if we remember to get in under the wire and only pay the Lunch rate. 

As for the critics --  If you're a snob who can afford to eat at a steak house, well, good for you.  Some of us are on a  budget and looking for the best we can afford ! GC is far and away the finest deal for the money.

The only things I do not  like about them is I always feel bloated when I leave there..and you cannot bring home leftovers...bummer..

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
          Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 1:51 PM (permalink)
          The Travelin Man

DavidEMartin

As for the critics --  If you're a snob who can afford to eat at a steak house, well, good for you.  Some of us are on a  budget and looking for the best we can afford !

Here is the logic that I could never understand.  Besides the fact that anyone who disagrees with your point of view being wrong, of course.  I, too, am on a budget - but, I choose to spend my money on things that I can appreciate.  My condo is small, my car is paid for, and I have a roommate that splits the bills.  This allows me the opportunity to spend my money on the things that I care about - some of which include travel and dining out. 

If you appreciate Golden Corral - knock yourself out.  But, if you are saying that the only reason you eat there is monetary, I guess I would question why you would spend your obviously hard-earned money on something inferior.  I eat in restaurants all the time - so, if I have one clunker of a meal, I shake it off and figure that I will be eating again soon enough.  But, if someone on a limited budget who can only dine out once in awhile has an inferior meal, that could be a problem. 

I have yet to find a city in the United States where I couldn't find a reasonably priced, good quality, locally produced meal in a restaurant - including some of the most expensive cities in the country (NYC, San Francisco, San Diego, etc.).  If, for some reason, you cannot, then it is simply because you choose NOT to.

I am sorry, Travelin Man, but I cannot agree with you that it is necessarily a choice. 

I live alone (with no one to split the bills) in my own home on a pension and Social Security and normally spend $25 or less per week for food by cooking my own meals.  For me to spend even $15 to $20 on a single meal is something that I cannot even think of doing more than once a month, if even that, and to spend $25 or more on a meal is something that possibly can be done once a year if I save up for it.  The only Golden Corral in this area (which I did like) suddenly closed several months ago, leaving a Home Town Buffet (not acceptable to me) as the only American buffet locally.  There are a couple of Chinese buffets which are pretty good, however (along with several which are not).  I do like the idea of a buffet (even though many Roadfooders can't stand them) since I get to sample a wide variety of foods at a given time for the money, and if eating out is going to be such a rare occasion, I want to take advantage of having the largest number of possibilities to eat dishes I don't normally cook.

I too, love traveling and have been all over North America, but on my travels I camp (to save money) and don't ever even think of eating in a fancy restaurant.  A few years ago I joined the other Roadfooders at the Moonlight BBQ (buffet), and enjoyed every minute of it, but for me to spend a minimum of $500 including fees, travel and housing for just two days in New Orleans this last year or next year is something I can't see happening in my lifetime.  The whole 11-day trip with our Boy Scout troop three years ago to the Black Hills of South Dakota, where we saw and did 40 different things, cost less than $500 per person including everything (admissions, activities, camping, restaurant food & gas).

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
            Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 2:18 PM (permalink)
            6star

The Travelin Man

DavidEMartin

I am sorry, Travelin Man, but I cannot agree with you that it is necessarily a choice. 

I live alone (with no one to split the bills) in my own home on a pension and Social Security and normally spend $25 or less per week for food by cooking my own meals.  For me to spend even $15 to $20 on a single meal is something that I cannot even think of doing more than once a month, if even that, and to spend $25 or more on a meal is something that possibly can be done once a year if I save up for it.  The only Golden Corral in this area (which I did like) suddenly closed several months ago, leaving a Home Town Buffet (not acceptable to me) as the only American buffet locally.  There are a couple of Chinese buffets which are pretty good, however (along with several which are not).  I do like the idea of a buffet (even though many Roadfooders can't stand them) since I get to sample a wide variety of foods at a given time for the money, and if eating out is going to be such a rare occasion, I want to take advantage of having the largest number of possibilities to eat dishes I don't normally cook.

I too, love traveling and have been all over North America, but on my travels I camp (to save money) and don't ever even think of eating in a fancy restaurant.  A few years ago I joined the other Roadfooders at the Moonlight BBQ (buffet), and enjoyed every minute of it, but for me to spend a minimum of $500 including fees, travel and housing for just two days in New Orleans this last year or next year is something I can't see happening in my lifetime.  The whole 11-day trip with our Boy Scout troop three years ago to the Black Hills of South Dakota, where we saw and did 40 different things, cost less than $500 per person including everything (admissions, activities, camping, restaurant food & gas).

6 star -

I don't deny that my statement was probably a broad over-generalization (no more so than someone claiming that anyone who can "afford" to eat at a steakhouse is a snob), but I stand by the statement that (most) people make choices that lead to their own financial situation.  My point was that I choose to have a roommate to help alleviate some of my expenses.  I choose to drive a less-than-desirable car because I don't want to be burdened with a car payment.  I choose to live in a small, affordable condo because I don't want to turn over 50% of my paycheck to the mortgage company.    If money were no object, would I like to live on my own, drive a nicer car, and have a bigger house - and still be able to do all of the extra-curricular things that I enjoy?  Sure.  But, the ugly reality is that most people do not choose to live within their means - and, honestly, I am not judging them for it.  But, I surely don't want to hear that someone's only chance at a decent meal is the Golden Corral - based on finances.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 2:37 PM (permalink)
              NYPIzzaNut

DavidEMartin

The only things I do not  like about them is I always feel bloated when I leave there..and you cannot bring home leftovers...bummer..

actually--although you can get a classic doggie bag for leftovers---you CAN get a to go container--fill it with what ever you like and pay for it by the lb.--i have found that now that i try NOT to overeat and trying take a few pounds off using sane portion control----this works well----no second or third trips or 3 desserts!!! I usually am not a big fan of chains--but i DO like GC's pot roast!--and the togo conatiner lets me do that SANELY.  My wife and actuall ate Thangsgiving dinner once and filled up two togo containers so we would have "leftovers" but no DISHES!!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 2:39 PM (permalink)
                6-star---i dont know aobut where you are--but i KNOW--i can eat cheaper and better at several mom and pop places here then i caqn at Colden Corral---and i DO eat at Golden corral now and then--but IT AINT CHEAP!!!

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                  Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/7/09 6:29 PM (permalink)
                  6-star, I think what TTM stated probably doesn't apply to you. I believe he was merely pointing out that Golden Corral is less than, let's say "a restaurant of notable quality", and he'd much prefer to spend his money wisely dining at a decent eatery. Why would one spend $10 at GC when one could just as well spend the same amount at White Mana or Ted's Famous or Louis' Lunch for instance and have a good meal, and probably a good story.

I guess it's kind of like buying many cheap suits that won't look as good or feel as good rather than spending wisely on the nice suit that fits better, feels nicer, looks better. When all is said and done you end up spending the same over time but the experience is less.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                    Re:Golden Corral Tue, 01/19/10 3:10 PM (permalink)
                    Okay, RF people.  I finally made it over to the Golden Corral in Largo, MD.  Umm...to be honest, I like Great American Buffet and Old Country Buffet better.  I thought Golden Corral was going to have alot of different types of selections and they really didn't.  They didn't even have fried shrimp.  How can you be a buffet place with no fried shimp.  I'm just saying... And the steak I had wasn't that great.  It was tuff as nails and no flavor...maybe because I'm not a big sirloin person.  I like my ribeye and prime cuts.  Plus, the service was terrible in there.  Sorry folks, I gotta give GC a 2 out of 4 stars.

CheeseburgerChet

• Total Posts: 25
                      Re:Golden Corral Sat, 02/6/10 8:54 AM (permalink)
                      I find GC an excellent value for the dollar, as opposed to lesser buffets, eg. Ryans, Firehouse, Old Country, Duffs.etc.. I find the food always fresh and taste with a wide veriety, on a scale of 1 - 10 I give it an 8.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        Re:Golden Corral Wed, 11/21/12 3:05 PM (permalink)
                        If you look back to my post #19 (in 2009) I mentioned that a Golden Corral was built in our town but was never opened due to the owner's finances. It finally opened this past Sunday! We went today around 11 when it wasn't too busy. We were impressed by the friendly staff, how everything was fresh and monitored and how good the food was that we had. I won't ever go back again. Why? After we were nearly done eating 4 buses of kids were dumped off and were clogging up traffic around the pizza/pasta areas, small children were on a dead run between their seats and the chocolate fountain carrying skewers of strawberries dripping chocolate. We went because this is a small town and we like to support business but this one won't need our help, it will be well supported by teens and families with little kids running around on a sugar buzz.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Golden Corral Wed, 11/21/12 4:00 PM (permalink)
                          Bob hates places like Golden Corral, but while in North Carolina, we had to meet up with relatives there. What I liked was they had food specific to the area-beans, greens,  fried chicken, etc..pretty good compared to the Milwaukee area one..yuck......

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                            Re:Golden Corral Wed, 11/21/12 7:07 PM (permalink)
                            I have a friend whose sense of humor is even more mordant than mine.  She orders a "bottomless" soft drink and sits in a corner taking in all the mayhem and gluttony.

Flagger Bob

• Total Posts: 7
                              Re:Golden Corral Fri, 11/30/12 1:35 PM (permalink)
                              Been to Golden Corral.  Not among my faves.  Not bad, not mediocre, but also not near as good as other choices available to me.  Previous poster mentioned getting a to go box and paying by the pound.  My Mrs had Bariatric Bypass, so when we go to any buffet pig-out place she gets a to go box, pays for it and eats some of it while I chow down.  Then the leftovers come home for her to work on over a day or so.  Only had difficulty doing this once (at GC) but now they are with the program.  Wife carries a card to show her situation.  Works well.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                Re:Golden Corral Fri, 11/30/12 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                Surprised the one you went to Intelligent T82 didn't have the shrimp.Both the ones in Universal City and New Braunfels have them. The GC in UC is not really that big.I like the one in New Braunfels better.Why, because the place is bigger,newer and has lots of windows which give it an airy feel.The food is good,and they both have variety. I sometimes go and eat at the chinese buffet by me, cause i can get soup,boiled shrimp,etc. I try not to eat out, as I don't feel like spending $15 or $20  dollars on just myself for dinner. Waste of money.And it also depends on what I feel like eating. Haven't been to Joe's Crab Shack in ages,as they are so expensive.Rather go to Walmart and pick up some bags of salmon and cod,and even a  large refrigerated Chicken of the Sea crabmeat .I can get quite a few meals from all that,including crabcakes.

kland01s

Re:Golden Corral Fri, 11/30/12 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                  Our Golden Corral is pretty small. It's been open for not quite 1 week. My partner is vegetarian but will eat fish. The shrimp was very tiny, breaded and baked. Talipia Florentine was the other seafood offer and she took one bite and didn't eat any more. Salad offerings were limited, I had a few pieces of chicken that were bland, mashed potatoes were terrible and tasted like paste but the mini hamburger sliders were pretty tasty. It seemed like the dessert  section was the biggest, I don't eat dessert. We really didn't like much of anything and won't go back. Plenty more good mom and pops to try.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
                                    Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                    I am definitely not rich or a snob, I just don't care for "trough feeding". As my wife and I always say "I would rather have a little great, than a lot of mediocre". Chris

kland01s

Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                      Our GC is not setup like a salad bar, there are small stations with several people maning them or serving from behind  counter 

Wintahaba

Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                        Sounds different from the normal set-up...interesting, the ones around here are very big.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                          Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                          Golden Corral is a horrible place with cross contamination from the patrons. Its not food. People are rude, children have no manners, terrible waste of food. More like a cattle crossing. Only thing missing is back up beepers on the people eating there. Only thing worse is an all you can eat China Super Buffet. Like playing Russian Roulette with Food Poisoning....Russ

Ever watch people eat Peel and Eat Shrimp or Crab Legs at one of these places? Then they go right back to the bar and start touching plates and everything else. I am sorry people but in my opinion this is America at its worst.
                                          <message edited by Russ Jackson on Sat, 12/1/12 1:09 PM>

Wintahaba

Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                            Russ, That is the main reason I don't like troughs, plus the fact the food is just not good.

kland01s

Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                              I had said up thread that we won't be going back, only went because my partner is involved with the Chamber and they worked hard with this owner to help him get out of foreclosure and be able to finally open after 4 years. We didn't expect much and it pretty much was what we did expect, bland. I was  however impressed with how well the took  care of everything, there were at least 3 people working every station, the ovens and flat tops were right behind them and many things had to be served from over  the counter. I really liked the mini hamburger sliders, they only put out about 10 at a time as more were being made. Most everything in the beef section had to asked for. One thing I noticed was the counters that had the sides, the salad bar and Mexican fixings was a bit higher and all the pans were set back some making it difficult for kids under a certain size to get to. I noticed this because I use a mobility scooter and I am about head high to a 10 year old, I had to ask for help with some things. As far as the chocolate fountain, I wouldn't touch that with the proverbial ten foot pole. Too many little ones running at top speed with skewers of strawberries dipped in chocolate.  This GC has been open all of one week tomorrow and there were many management types in suits hanging around. We have no need to go back, we have 3 new mom and pop places in town to try out yet!
                                              <message edited by kland01s on Sat, 12/1/12 2:38 PM>

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                                Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                                kland,
                                                Its only going to be as good as the person running the show. Rotation of food and ordering properly. If they allow people to be pigs then it will get disgusting. I am sure when they are properly run they are ok. But un-maintained the salad gets limp and weathered, gravy gets skinned. mashed potatoes get hard tops. If they are trying to get maximum profit they just keep mixing the products together. You can only push canned nacho cheese so far at the taco stand...lol...Russ

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/1/12 11:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  The general public, when it comes to food, are stupid.I run a very basic food court at Target. We have a Pizza Hut program, and the signs are obvious as to what each product is in the hot hold. These people will open the containers to look at the product. If they do that,  and they dont buy the product, I have to throw it away( we have a pretty high standard of food safety).It drives me nuts.......

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                    Re:Golden Corral Tue, 12/4/12 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    IntelligentT82

Okay, RF people.  I finally made it over to the Golden Corral in Largo, MD.  Umm...to be honest, I like Great American Buffet and Old Country Buffet better.  I thought Golden Corral was going to have alot of different types of selections and they really didn't.  They didn't even have fried shrimp.  How can you be a buffet place with no fried shimp.  I'm just saying... And the steak I had wasn't that great.  It was tuff as nails and no flavor...maybe because I'm not a big sirloin person.  I like my ribeye and prime cuts.  Plus, the service was terrible in there.  Sorry folks, I gotta give GC a 2 out of 4 stars.

honestly, I would avoid ALL restaurants in Largo, MD. They are all inferior. over generalizing? maybe, but Largo's pool of excellent workers is low, therefore, you're not likely to get a good experience at a place like that. Some of the better restaurants that hire better staff are ok, but your common chain is not going to have the talent to be truly successful on a gastronomic level.

In Williamsburg oo other tourist driven places like Annapolis, it would be better, because even the McDonalds in Largo is not as good as one that is elsewhere.

Still, thanks for the review. I know another restaurant in Largo to avoid!

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      Re:Golden Corral Tue, 12/4/12 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                                      I , frankly,dont like buffets;we only participate we think  its a  good deal.I WILL spend money, when we have some, on a good meal.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                        • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Golden Corral Fri, 12/7/12 2:55 AM (permalink)
                                                        We skip over the Gold Corral locally, it is usually over crowded and rather disorganized, thus things get messy and the staff can't or choose not to keep it clean.
                                                        There is a Ryan's in nearby Corydon that I will visit now and then on a weekend morning (early) for the Senior Breakfast...$5 with a reasonable selection of breakfast items on the buffet, and the salad stuff is always fresh at 7 AM. Plus I can drink $5 worth of OJ should I choose too.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                                          • Location: Schertz, TX
                                                          Re:Golden Corral Mon, 12/10/12 2:20 PM (permalink)
                                                          My GCs, especially the one in New Braunfels  are pretty clean,and they try to keep up with the places. Food is pretty good.The NB one has some items not on the one in UC. There used to be a Ryan's in New Braunfels,but it's gone.
                                                          As far as Target goes,Anne Peeples, the one by me in the Forum at Olympia Hills in Selma(TX) is different.It is run by Target alone.The patrons have no contact with any hot food,as it is behind the counter and only staff can touch it and give it to you.By the register they do have some stuff like chips and cookies,but these are commercial products by Lays or Archer Farm(Target's brand),and if you open them I'm sure you bought them buddy.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                            • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                            Re:Golden Corral Sat, 12/15/12 6:55 PM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 65

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com