Golden Ox = WalMart shill?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
2012/05/05 11:04:25 (permalink)

Golden Ox = WalMart shill?

Last night I saw a TV commercial in which the Golden Ox in Kansas City teams up with WalMart to promote WM's "premium choice" line of steaks, Folgers style ("We secretly replaced the normal fine coffee with Folgers Crystals...").  Naturally, all the customers are just blown away by how unfreakingbelievably good the steaks are, and when it's revealed that they're from WM people immediately start saying that that's where they'll buy their steaks (and presumably all other beef) in the future.  Frankly, I'm surprised the commercial didn't end with a stampede to the nearest Big Blue Box.

If I ever eat at a steakhouse in KC the first thing I'll ask about is the source of the meat...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/05/05 11:06:56

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/05 11:25:19 (permalink)
    I saw that commercial the other evening. Anyone for retching?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4209
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/05 11:27:28 (permalink)
    Wow:  at least it exists; that fact surprises me.  http://www.goldenox.com/

If I'm in KC looking for a steak I'll take Anthony Bourdain's advice and go here:  http://www.savoygrill.net/
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/05 11:43:37 (permalink)
    Interesting how people see things differently. If Bourdain advised breathing I'd hold my breath till I turned blue.
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/05 12:20:19 (permalink)
    I just can't seem to get a decent steak to grill anymore at a reasonable price.
    I realize I'm not in the gourmet class but it's funny to me that the ribeye steaks that two or three years ago would go on sale at the supermarket are now double the price  and half the quality.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/05 13:49:16 (permalink)
    I think many people would be surprised at the source of some restaurants meats. I once saw the Ruth's Chris squad buying ungraded tenderloins from the old Atlas Super Market in Indianapolis. These weren't prime cuts, by any stretch of the imagination and were selling for about $4.99/lb. Other places I've seen use cuts that are barely above select. As for Walmart, I never buy meat there, but I do buy from Sam's Club. They carry choice and prime and I've yet to get a bad piece of meat from them. And the prices are pretty reasonable.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/05 20:51:59 (permalink)
    Didn't Doe Signa, of the great Doe's Eat Place, which many people say serves the finest steaks in the country, tell someone (was it Michael Stern?) that he gets his steaks from the local IGA?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 03:26:16 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    If I'm in KC looking for a steak I'll take Anthony Bourdain's advice and go here:  http://www.savoygrill.net/

Most unusual Complimentary Breakfast Menu I've ever seen! Lobster Bisque for Breakfast????? Veal Liver???
    I'll bet their Roast Beef Hash is outstanding!
    And the Dinner prices are from another planet!!!
    Would need to hit the Lottery to eat there!
    I'm sure Bourdain gets Comped!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/06 03:34:21
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 08:41:05 (permalink)
    We tried the "new" Walmart steaks last night. They are marked as USDA Choice and do not mention any additives or solutions as their old brand did. I bought 1.5lbs of the NY strips which were $10.58lb. I cut them into chunks and made kabobs with vidalia onions, bella mushrooms and red bell pepper marinated in a Lawry's new marinade called seasoned salt. I also grilled yellow squash and zucchini slices w/ melted butter and lemon pepper. It was an excellent meal and there was nothing wrong with the steak.
    The total cost was $23 which fed 3 people very generously.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 09:09:01 (permalink)

Didn't Doe Signa, of the great Doe's Eat Place, which many people say serves the finest steaks in the country, tell someone (was it Michael Stern?) that he gets his steaks from the local IGA?

Yes, Doe Signa did tell that to Jane and me, maybe 20 years ago. 

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 10:45:29 (permalink)
    Foodbme

MetroplexJim

Most unusual Complimentary Breakfast Menu I've ever seen! Lobster Bisque for Breakfast????? Veal Liver???
    I'll bet their Roast Beef Hash is outstanding!
    And the Dinner prices are from another planet!!!
    Would need to hit the Lottery to eat there!
    I'm sure Bourdain gets Comped!

Yes, in fact Bourdain mocked their menu for trying to do so many things that they could not possibly do them all well. 

Here is what attracted me:  he did like his steak and loved the ambiance:  "old school" wood, leather, and tuxedos.  He also noted that the place was nearly empty.  Every now and then I do like to dine on an excellent piece of meat while sipping bourbon in quiet surroundings --absent cell-phone talkers and squeeling children which are, sadly, omnipresent hazards of trying to dine in the remarkably fecund and "loud talking" Republic of Texas.  The prices keep the riff-raff at bay.  In your neck of the woods, think of the private dining room of the now defunct Harris' over on Camelback.  Here in McKinney we have the Octagon Room at Bailey's Prime: http://www.baileysprimeplus.com/SecondaryNavigation/Locations/Fairview.aspx  

Yes, one does have to pay for ambiance and I do so gladly, paying dearly for being able merely by an annoyed glance to cause the Maitre to quiet a cell-phone-talker or "loud" table.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/05/06 11:11:49
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 10:55:44 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Interesting how people see things differently. If Bourdain advised breathing I'd hold my breath till I turned blue.

As I share his "weaknesses" for females, bourbon, cigarettes, fatty pork, and combative, profane conversation I think an evening wherein we would yell at each other about politics would be enjoyably spent. 

In sum, I disdain his sense but share and admire his sensibilities. 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/05/06 11:00:45
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 10:59:03 (permalink)
    ces1948

I just can't seem to get a decent steak to grill anymore at a reasonable price.
    I realize I'm not in the gourmet class but it's funny to me that the ribeye steaks that two or three years ago would go on sale at the supermarket are now double the price  and half the quality.

1)  Choice Rib-eye from Sam's or Costco.
    2)  CharCrust Original Hickory:  www.charcrust.com

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 12:13:59 (permalink)
    I found the commercial on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGTI0kRLqc
    I don't know who is packaging the meat for WalMart yet, but a fiver says it is Cargill. (I will post again when I find out for sure.) If WalMart is getting the kind of money for meat that ces1948 indicates, it is not that hard to offer aged top choice.

All that remains is to post the complete price list of the steaks that WalMart is offering. My guess is that the charges are in line with what the Golden OX pays their wholesaler.

EDITED to indicate I will try to determine who is case-readying the meat for WalMart.

post edited by David_NYC - 2012/05/06 20:19:33
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 12:14:17 (permalink)
    While I admire bourbon, and one Tennessee bourbon in particular (thanks again Pogophiles), I prefer my Jack Daniels. And while I love cigarettes I've not smoked one since 9:30 a.m. on January 2, 1993.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10424
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 12:20:15 (permalink)
    Michael Stern

Yes, Doe Signa did tell that to Jane and me, maybe 20 years ago.

While I did know they weren't prime, this is still a surprise. 

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 15:43:14 (permalink)
    If you know a fantastic butcher( which I did) you CAN get a good cut of meat at a grocery store.I worked for a place called Pick'N'Save in the late 90's, and Don was awesome. The owner was a former butcher for Kohl's  food stores in the Milwaukee area, so he insisted on great meat.( and a great deli-which i managed) Bob Gold would buy the campionship steer every year at the State Fair, along with lambs, pigs, etc.He would actually butcher them at the store( most meat comes in processed) and he insisted on passing good savings to his customers. Once a year, after the State Fair- he offered these awesome meats.Anyway-miss that alot.Best meat ever.

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2718
    Re:Golden Ox = WalMart shill? 2012/05/06 15:48:12 (permalink)
    Ann - You obviously don't shop at Walmart for meat.  Everything I've seen is prepackaged and shoved in the open meat case.  I don't think they have a true butcher at the retail stores.

See you on 5/26. 

Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1