The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Goober burgers

fummunda

• Total Posts: 24
Goober burgers Fri, 09/12/03 11:15 PM (permalink)
Bizarre as this may seem, there's a place in Sedalia Missouri (home of the Missouri State Fair and Scott Joplin) called the Wheel Inn...a great old drive-in spot that hearkens back to true RoadsideAmerica (it's on U.S. 50 so it genuinely qualifies). Its specialty is, yes, a burger with a schmeer of peanut butter, and I am happy to report that it tastes better than it sounds.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
    RE: Goober burgers Sat, 09/13/03 12:23 AM (permalink)
    I believe it was meowzart who mentioned Wheel Inn on a thread a month or two ago. I'm from Springfield and had "friends of family" in Sedalia who we visited, but I never ate at the Wheel Inn. It's on my list of things to do next time I spend awhile in MO.

Michael Stern

RE: Goober burgers Sat, 09/13/03 3:21 AM (permalink)
      It used to be rumored that the secret of the good hamburgers at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=203']Phillips Grocery Store[/url] was peanut butter mixed into the ground beef. They always denied it. At [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=203']Al's[/url], a steak house in Locke, California, they put peanut butter and jelly on every table.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
        RE: Goober burgers Sat, 09/13/03 9:13 AM (permalink)
        I don't know about peanut butter burgers...yuk! But hey, I saw a recipe not too long ago where it called for mixing fresh blueberries in with the ground beef and forming into burgers. Has anyone tried or heard of this? If so, how does it taste? The premise was supposed to be that the berries provide anti-oxidants and make the burgers naturally juicy (you are supposed to use ground round instead of ground beef, really)...

fummunda

• Total Posts: 24
          RE: Goober burgers Sun, 09/14/03 12:48 PM (permalink)
          We've taken to mixing blue cheese in with ground beef for our burgers this summer, so I guess mixing in blue berries isn't too far a stretch . Seriously I think it'd be worth a try at least once.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
            RE: Goober burgers Sun, 09/14/03 1:22 PM (permalink)
            There are some earlier posts in one of the forums here regarding the blueberries mixed into hamburger. Am sure they can be found by utilizing the search feature. McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola, FL, includes peanut butter as one of the ingredients (along with other "crazy" ones, such as kraut, etc., etc.) in or on its big "Garbage Burger". It all sounds awful but in reality everything mixed together is pretty good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com