Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham?

Author
jdeadline
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/06/30 11:19:17 (permalink)

Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham?

I'm going to be staying in downtown Birmingham on business. Can anyone recommend a good BBQ place for dinner that's a short cab ride from downtown.

I've already been to the Bham branch of Dreamland, so I'm looking for somewhere new.

Many thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2003/06/30 11:44:11 (permalink)
    Definately Dreamland. Look the address up in the phone directory. You will not be sorry.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Big Muzzy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2003/06/30 12:56:45 (permalink)
    Check and see if Ollie's Bar-B-Que in downtown B'ham is still open...I had heard that they might be closing....IF they are still downtown, you can treat yourself to a great sandwich! Ollie's has been around since the 1950's.....
    AND, if you get tired of Bar-B-Que, ask a taxi to drive you over to 'The Bright Star' in nearby Bessemer....YOU will NOT be sorry!

quote:
    Originally posted by jdeadline

I'm going to be staying in downtown Birmingham on business. Can anyone recommend a good BBQ place for dinner that's a short cab ride from downtown.

I've already been to the Bham branch of Dreamland, so I'm looking for somewhere new.

Many thanks.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2003/06/30 22:50:41 (permalink)
    Look at my post under Where to Eat.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2003/06/30 22:54:20 (permalink)
    Amen to Big Muzzy's recommendation above re visiting "The Bright Star" in Bessemer. It is a place which should not be missed. There is also a barbeque place in Bessemer (can't remember its name) which I've not visited but which all the locals recommend. You might find it worthwhile to go to the the "Where Should I Eat" Forum and go through the "Roadfood in Alabama" section (most recent posting date is 6/23/03). There are lots of very informative postings there re Birmingham (and elsewhere in Alabama) restaurants. Have a good stay and lots of good eats ln Birmingham. Liketoeat
    ferrell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2003/07/01 00:56:08 (permalink)
    There are several good Bar b q places in and around downtown B'ham.
    Full Moon Bar b q is just off Red Mountain Expressway, this is the original location although I understand their are now several locations. A little farther out is Demetri's in Homewood. It has been a couple of years since I lived there but these are some good lesser known choices. The Golden Rule is another popular Bar b q place with several locations. Bob Sykes is the Bessemer pit mentioned earlier in this forum and another excellent choice.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2004/04/13 15:35:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Muzzy

Check and see if Ollie's Bar-B-Que in downtown B'ham is still open...I had heard that they might be closing....IF they are still downtown, you can treat yourself to a great sandwich! Ollie's has been around since the 1950's.....
    AND, if you get tired of Bar-B-Que, ask a taxi to drive you over to 'The Bright Star' in nearby Bessemer....YOU will NOT be sorry!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by jdeadline

Many thanks.

It's my understanding that the venerable Ollie's is no more. When I worked at UAB, we'd often lunch there back in the '70s. The waitresses took the table's entire order and never wrote any of it down. And you'd always get what you ordered! How'd they do that?

Try the Golden Rule or Bob Sykes for good Bham BBQ.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6831
    RE: Good BBQ near downtown Birmingham? 2004/04/13 15:57:47 (permalink)
    Jim 'n Nicks! Dreamland! Great BBQ! We LOVE Bham!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1