LockedGood BBQ off of I95 in N.C.

Author
Mags81
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2003/08/13 21:48:35 (permalink)

Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C.

I will be heading down to Florida from Jersey in a few months and am looking for a good BBQ place to stop at for lunch in North Carolina. I've done some research and found a few places, but I don't know which one is the BEST or the one that is DEFINITELY worth a stop. Here are some of the places that I've found

Wilburs BBQ in Goldsboro
Ralphs BBQ in Weldon
Mitchells BBQ in Wilson
Moores BBQ in Kenly
Fullers BBQ in Lumberton
Smithfields BBQ in Smithfield and Lumberton (I think)

Which place would you recommend and why? Are they all pretty easy to find?

25 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2003/08/13 22:16:32 (permalink)
    We like Ralph's in Weldon - been stopping there for the past five or six years going south and coming back north. I always get the pork sandwich - the meat is great, the sauce is fine, and the hush puppies are great, as is the sweet tea. It is a very comfortable room, lots of parking, and only two minutes off I-95.

We've been to all the other places you listed and you can't go wrong in any of them.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2003/08/14 08:45:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by s_b_man18

I will be heading down to Florida from Jersey in a few months and am looking for a good BBQ place to stop at for lunch in North Carolina. I've done some research and found a few places, but I don't know which one is the BEST or the one that is DEFINITELY worth a stop. Here are some of the places that I've found

Wilburs BBQ in Goldsboro
    Ralphs BBQ in Weldon
    Mitchells BBQ in Wilson
    Moores BBQ in Kenly
    Fullers BBQ in Lumberton
    Smithfields BBQ in Smithfield and Lumberton (I think)

Which place would you recommend and why? Are they all pretty easy to find?
    My favorite among these is Wilber's, but it is about 20 miles east of I-95 on the highway 70 bypass on the north side of Goldsboro. Wilber's still cooks with coals from wood, and I think the others have gone to gas.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2003/08/14 09:20:07 (permalink)
    Wilber's is excellent. It could be out of the way, but worth it. I've also heard good things about Fuller's (buffet).
    croquethed
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2003/08/29 18:11:39 (permalink)
    Parker's in Wilson is a holy shrine of BBQ,
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2003/08/30 09:22:50 (permalink)
    Mitchell's in Wilson NC was on Bourdain's show last night. It is kind of funny that this thread got started today, because I was going to post a question and couldn't figure out where to do it.

Mitchell's specializes in whole hog barbeque. After it is cooked, it is chopped, the vinegar and spices are added, and the whole thing is laid back onto the crispy outer skin (which is cooked a bit longer after the meat is cut off), the skin is basically a large cracklin serving platter. I had never seen it done like this, and aside from reading about it, never knew of this Smoked Meat Valhalla called Mitchell's.

My question is: Is this place as good as it looks? I am not hugely in love with vinegar (eastern NC) BBQ, but I believe that I could do this. Especially since the buffet table is filled with evey part of the hog (everything but the oink) and looked delicious.

It looked like it would be worth the trip. Is this the case?

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2003/09/01 11:10:10 (permalink)
    MAYHAW MAN:

Mitchell's is OK (cooks with gas), Wilber's in Goldsboro and Skylight in Ayden are better. BUT--IMHO none of the eastern style can match the Lexington Style served up at "LEXINGTON # 1" in Lexington or ALSTON BRIDGES in Shelby.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2004/10/17 16:41:06 (permalink)
    Hillbilly -

This is the first time I have heard someone claim that Mitchell's cooks with gas. I had always heard that they were log burners and I have personally seen a woodpile behind the restaurant. I think their BBQ is wonderful and has a consistency and taste that few places match on either side of the state.

For what it's worth, when in Shelby I've always gone to Bridges rather than Alston Bridges as the former is a log burner and I've been led to believe that the latter cooks with a combination of electricity and coals.

Lexington style vs eastern style, the debate goes on and on. I've decided that I like the best examples of both styles with equal gusto. You've certainly got some of the best of both worlds on your list, too.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2004/10/17 16:49:31 (permalink)
    Our family loves Moores............cheap, delicious, and very nice people work there. The place is small but we have never had a problem getting a table or going through the drive-thru. It is very close to 195..........a few hundred feet. You will love it.
    LadyBlueTC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2004/10/23 00:40:41 (permalink)
    Stopped at Fuller's BBQ last April on way home from Bonita Springs. It was great, actually it's a Buffet and they have tons of food, reasonable, lots of variety, good fresh food. Can't wait to stop again on our way back to Florida in January
    hippchip
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2004/12/25 23:30:17 (permalink)
    can someone tell me what exits these are at? I know where Ralphs and Fullers are but not the others. I have been to a BBQ place just east of the outlet mall at exit 95 that was good too
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2004/12/26 11:07:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hippchip

can someone tell me what exits these are at? I know where Ralphs and Fullers are but not the others. I have been to a BBQ place just east of the outlet mall at exit 95 that was good too

I believe there are 2 exits to US 301 at Wilson. Both are a pretty good little haul to get into town where you have several excellent RF choices. I remember back in '95 (on a trip to FL) that it took my son and I about 40 mins in/40 mins back to I-95 to get to Parker's. Worth the trip though!
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2004/12/26 11:19:20 (permalink)
    Skip over Parkers and get off on Hwy. 70 East from I-95 in Smithfield/Selma and go to Goldsboro. When you get there stay on &0 East until you come to Wilber's on the right. Check out my review from 12-19-04, tells you all you need to know...

Dennis in Cary
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/01/21 23:48:31 (permalink)
    I like bills BBQ in wilson,nc. Good eatin. Not off I 95. But its near i 95 i think.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/01/23 14:43:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

Skip over Parkers and get off on Hwy. 70 East from I-95 in Smithfield/Selma and go to Goldsboro. When you get there stay on &0 East until you come to Wilber's on the right. Check out my review from 12-19-04, tells you all you need to know...

Dennis in Cary

Wilber's is the best "eastern" NC 'Q. But I still prefer the "Lexington" style (Lexington # 1 in Lexington, Alston Bridges in Shelby, Stamey's in Greensboro)
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/01/23 15:30:16 (permalink)
    U GUYS ARE FORGETTING BILLS BBQ IN WILSON,NC
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/01/23 17:02:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

U GUYS ARE FORGETTING BILLS BBQ IN WILSON,NC

Not forgetting at all. Bill's is a gas burner while Wilber's still uses wood. Bill Ellis does a good catering job across the country, but wood burners beat gas burners hands down.
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/04/15 10:55:33 (permalink)
    Yesterday I had planned to go on a run to Mitchell's BBQ in Wilson (one of the best tasting ques I've had) to load up on 15 lbs for a retirement gig tonight. Imagine my surprise to find the place vacant and a huge FOR SALE sign in parking lot. I asked around a few places and no one seemed to know anything about it. I googled and could not find anything but great reviews, etc. Does anyone know what happened? Ed Mitchell was a fine gentleman and last time I was there to pick up que, I talked with him about how much I loved his food, and that driving 3 hours was worth it. He said he was planning to open up a restaurant in VA in vicinity of where I live. I'm just sick! Incidentily, he gave me two hats off the shelf after I inquired about purchasing. What a true southerner!

Had to go to Wilber's in Goldsboro to get my BBQ which is my next favorite and probably the top BBQ house but I was wanting some of Ed Mitchell's which was slightly sweet and hotter
    orzobino
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/04/20 11:58:18 (permalink)
    Hey I live here and I cant find out anything about it either except rumors..and they sound crazy...gambling etc..but something must have happened for it to close that fast....nothing in the local papers either..
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/04/21 06:20:06 (permalink)
    Orzobino, Glad to hear from someone in Wilson. Now I'm really mystified... I've got some several other folks with relatives there and they promise to find out what happened.

At any rate, the Wilber's bbq that I picked up last week was consumed rather quickly by the party goer's! Now have to start thinking of when the next bbq run will be! Wish we could get that good NC BBQ up here! When I was growing up, there were several really good places up here due in part to all the folks from NC that found work at the shipyard here. Now, nothing compares!

While I'm on the subject, I saw a sign for Cherry's BBQ while in Wilson. How does that compare to Bill's.

Several years ago, I found a place in Kinston that was much like Mitchell's...it was called Chaps. It was off the main road (I believe, Rt 258 but not sure). But I hear they now have a buffet and that it's not as good as it was. Anyone else tried it? Judy AKA LovBbq
    carolinabred
    Junior Burger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/05/19 14:47:34 (permalink)
    This might be off the beaten path for you, but Tarheel BBQ in Eure is awesome. It beats Ralph's BBQ hands down. It's on US 13/158 hwy near Gatesville, NC. They have the best sandwich BBQ there is. And if your looking for awesome hotdogs with a powerful BBQ kick, Bill's hot dogs in Washington is it. They use a white horseradish style chili that will set your mouth on fire. Around here, we used to have Simpsons' BBQ until old man Simp died. Now it's closed. That was traditional wood/pit cooked BBQ. I was raised on hickory wood cooked bbq and every year my uncle would cook up a hog or two for the family reunion. There is nothing like good wood cooked pig. One other BBQ place I highly recommend is Hog Heaven in Washington, NC on US Hwy 264. They have the best brunswick stew. Excellent food all around!!!!!!!!
    Here is a link to bbq restaurants in NC.
    http://www.bbqlinks.com/PAGES/states/ncpage2.htm
    orzobino
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/05/25 12:57:04 (permalink)
    Hey Barney...Cherrys has a long history but in the last 10 years has bounced around with diferent owners etc and is not worth the effort..still nothing on Mitchels.....Ive been to that place in Kinston..Chaps really out of the way..odd looking building but the Que was pretty good...
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/06/05 16:24:22 (permalink)
    Anybody got the straight skinny yet on what happened to Mitchell's in Wilson which closed so suddenly even the locals were caught by surprise?

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    mreece1902
    Junior Burger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/06/06 12:17:11 (permalink)
    Mitchell's - Ed Mitchell, the owner, was charged criminally with failing to pay sales tax and to file some business tax returns. He says he will reopen later this summer at another location in Wilson.

My personal opinion is that he got too big with his restaurant too fast and had cash flow problems. I am looking forward to the reopening, as this is one of my favorite places.

Mike Reece
    Smithfield, NC
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2005/06/07 07:05:18 (permalink)
    Thanks, mreece! Glad to have you aboard RF.com. You'll find it's a great site w/ tons of wonderful info and people.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    lindatn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Good BBQ off of I95 in N.C. 2006/08/25 19:02:53 (permalink)
    we went to North Carolina yesterday, just for the day.
    we got off in Wilson, just by chance...and went to Bill Ellis bbq
    it was delicious, homey, lots of room...and at 2:pm we could not believe how crowded it was. his chicken and dumplin's we some of the best i have ever had. the chicken in sauce was too die for....everything was good. I bought a 1/2 gallon of sauce to bring home.
    http://www.bills-bbq.com/aboutus.html

Linda in Tennessee
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1