The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Good Dogs in Mississippi

Buzzbait82

• Total Posts: 51
Good Dogs in Mississippi Tue, 07/29/08 2:36 PM (permalink)
I am living in South Mississippi (Hattiesburg) where poeple do not eat good dogs like they do in the North East. Yesterday I had a craving for a good deli-style hotdog with coney sauce liek I remember from growing up in RI and MA. I am limited to WalMart Oscar Meyer and other mass produced brands. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good deli dog.

It seems like people around here would just rather eat chicken fingers, as there is no shortage of chicken finger places (3 within 3 miles of me).

Thanks.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
    RE: Good Dogs in Mississippi Tue, 07/29/08 2:45 PM (permalink)
    Hi Buzz. I too am in your situation, stuck up in the great flatlands of northern North Dakota and not a good hotdog to be found in the grocery stores. (Just the typical flavor neutral Ball Park, Oscar Meyer, ect..)

I did however finally find great dogs once I hunted up and found a small family owned butcher shop. Local made, natural casing, good seasoning. I suggest you try hunting around in your local community for your small time butcher and see where it gets you. Good luck!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      RE: Good Dogs in Mississippi Tue, 07/29/08 5:20 PM (permalink)
      I second WarToad's suggestion to try and track down a small family owned butcher shop. If you live in a hot dog deprived state, look for a quality brand with national or almost national distribution such as Hebrew National, Boars Head, or Nathan's.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
        RE: Good Dogs in Mississippi Tue, 07/29/08 7:34 PM (permalink)
        I third WarToad's suggestion. However, if all they make is LA/MS style sausage locally, Winn-Dixie carries Nathan's and Hebrew National and sometimes Empire National in many areas. There are pockets of Boars Head distribution down south, try calling them at 888-884-2627 and they may be able to give you a number for the local routeman.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com