Good Dogs in Mississippi

Author
Buzzbait82
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2008/07/29 14:36:41 (permalink)

Good Dogs in Mississippi

I am living in South Mississippi (Hattiesburg) where poeple do not eat good dogs like they do in the North East. Yesterday I had a craving for a good deli-style hotdog with coney sauce liek I remember from growing up in RI and MA. I am limited to WalMart Oscar Meyer and other mass produced brands. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good deli dog.

It seems like people around here would just rather eat chicken fingers, as there is no shortage of chicken finger places (3 within 3 miles of me).

Thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1841
    RE: Good Dogs in Mississippi 2008/07/29 14:45:49 (permalink)
    Hi Buzz. I too am in your situation, stuck up in the great flatlands of northern North Dakota and not a good hotdog to be found in the grocery stores. (Just the typical flavor neutral Ball Park, Oscar Meyer, ect..)

I did however finally find great dogs once I hunted up and found a small family owned butcher shop. Local made, natural casing, good seasoning. I suggest you try hunting around in your local community for your small time butcher and see where it gets you. Good luck!
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Good Dogs in Mississippi 2008/07/29 17:20:46 (permalink)
    I second WarToad's suggestion to try and track down a small family owned butcher shop. If you live in a hot dog deprived state, look for a quality brand with national or almost national distribution such as Hebrew National, Boars Head, or Nathan's.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Good Dogs in Mississippi 2008/07/29 19:34:58 (permalink)
    I third WarToad's suggestion. However, if all they make is LA/MS style sausage locally, Winn-Dixie carries Nathan's and Hebrew National and sometimes Empire National in many areas. There are pockets of Boars Head distribution down south, try calling them at 888-884-2627 and they may be able to give you a number for the local routeman.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1