Good Eats In Grand Isle Louisiana

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 698
2014/07/22 10:17:46 (permalink)

Good Eats In Grand Isle Louisiana

We're heading to the tarpon rodeo in Grand Isle this weekend and are wondering if there's any good roadfood eats in that area? Grand Isle is about a hundred miles south of New Orleans.

2 Replies Related Threads

scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 698
    Re: Good Eats In Grand Isle Louisiana 2014/07/23 14:40:30 (permalink)
    I poached this info off another site. It's courtesy Hungry Celeste, a Louisiana gal who is about as dyed in the wool as you can get in the roadfood sphere:

Awright, ya'll, you're treading on my native earth here. More than 30,000 people live in the southern part of Lafourche & Jefferson parishes--they're not all funny-talking, shrimp boot wearing happy leprechauns, nor are all of the restaurants terrible. Yes, Spahr's does have fried seafood, but since their fire & rebuilding, the menu has expanded a bit and moved just a tad upmarket (a steak or two, some seared tuna) though the real draw is wild-caught (NOT farmraised) catfish.
    For downhome dining in Lockport, you can hit Blackies, which has stick-to-your ribs cajun plate lunches (think heavy on the seafood & starches), as well as poboys, etc. The new La Tour golf club's dining facility is open to the public, and it has typical club food (near Mathews, off of LA 308). A good seafood market, Punch's, is also in Lockport: they produce softshelled crabs onsite (as well as crabmeat), and offer some take-home, precooked stuff (seafood stuffed peppers, crawfish bisque, etc).
    Heading south on LA 1, you could do worse for a roadside snack than Plaisance's Meat market, a custom-slaughter place that sells prime beef, homemade cracklins, boudin, and other charcuterie. It has a Lockport address, but is technically closer to north Larose.
    Switchin' over to the opposite side of the bayou again, Harry's Poboys (just N of the Intracoastal bridge in Larose) offers the full range of s LA sandwiches: sloppy roast beef, crab patties, fried seafood, and so on. Only open weekdays, and only til 2 or 3.
    Moving south into Larose, with a 70s sort of vibe, is the Balcony....iceberg lettuce salads, dressings served in those silly, 3-compartment serving caddies, but still turning out a reliable club sandwich, fried seafood, and crabmeat stuffed flounder. (Hell, Larose even has a run-of-the-mill Japanese joint these days; hibachi tables, a sushi bar, and a few seafood specials.) Or you can sit in a converted gas station and eat crawfish & boiled crabs until you can't stand it anymore at the Crab Station.
    I've heard about Mexican plate lunches at the old Danny's Fried chicken in Galliano, but I can't vouch for them as I haven't sampled them just yet. No, you won't find a tremendous number of upscale places...but in Golden Meadow, you can eat well at Oceana Cafe. A few more ambitious specials, solid fried chicken, and a delicious house dressing (made with andouille) make it worth a visit on a drive to GI.
    The scenery is distinctive: sugarcane fields, with the bayou running alongside the road. Shrimp boats, tons of commercial marine traffic, quaint floating (pontoon) bridges, shipbuilding: it doesn't look like the rest of America. If you want sugar beaches and plastic sameness, skip it. On the other hand, if you like seeing the corners of America that retain regional flavor despite the cultural homogenization of mass media & the internet, come on down...we'll be really nice to you. Bring your ice chest and buy shrimp fresh off of the boat for a price so low as to be criminal. Oh, and be cognizant of the fact that almost 15% of US petroleum imports travel through this area, known as LA's Energy Corridor (while FL and CA reject drilling yet suck down more than their share of oil, both domestic & foreign).
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    Re: Good Eats In Grand Isle Louisiana 2014/07/23 15:12:03 (permalink)
    I have been there before passing though Homa and south.  I am glad you posted this because I thought it was a food desert.  It appears that is not.  Thanks for posting.
    Not exactly a pretty island but it the only Louisiana beach available.  The residence I saw were not so pretty.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1