Good Fried Chicken

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3739
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/21 21:24:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

JUST WISH WE HAD BOJANGLES HERE IN MICHIGAN

Bojangles had the best biscuits and dirty rice and their little steak sammich on a biscuit for breakfast wasn't too bad either!
Popeyes doesnt even come close to the spicy chicken....
Tried them once and never wanted to again...

I am sorry, and I do not wish to appear ignorant, but what in the world is a sammich?
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/21 21:25:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

JUST WISH WE HAD BOJANGLES HERE IN MICHIGAN

Bojangles had the best biscuits and dirty rice and their little steak sammich on a biscuit for breakfast wasn't too bad either!
Popeyes doesnt even come close to the spicy chicken....
Tried them once and never wanted to again...

I am sorry, and I do not wish to appear ignorant, but what in the world is a sammich?

Ok Ok... Give me a break.... a sammich is a baby sandwich...
I just made that up to appease you...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/25 12:50:01 (permalink)
I am not a advocate of the term "sammich", however I thought I would look it up. As you can see, there are several different definitions but some indicate that in their opinion it implies a better sandwich. Others are definately different.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sammich

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/26 14:33:38 (permalink)
Living in the Cininnati, Dayton area. I must second the post from months ago about this kind of being a void for fried chicken. 2 places stand out.

The Sports Bowl in Middletown ohio. Made Killer Chicken and also Fried Livers. They had A cook that had worked there for decades that could cook. She died a few years ago. But the fried liver is still real good. and still cooked in the same cast iron skillet.

- The second place I was surpised at. The White House I think its called in Indepence Kentucky. Might be wrong on location and name hehe. They designed the place around an old jail house if I am currect? The menu draws on this theme. You can go and order family style Side dishes and all. I was pulled there reluctantly by my wifes family . I was actually impressed by the fried chicken and since it was all u could eat BOOM BABY!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/26 15:23:04 (permalink)
I think you are referring to The Courthouse Restaurant

http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=1&id=2031&lid=3095&cID=2
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/061104_courthouse.html
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/26 15:31:07 (permalink)
You are correct sir. Thats the place. I mostly gorged myself on the chicken and took the token sides to make it look good hehe. Thank you for the links
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/01/26 15:45:55 (permalink)
My father is always looking for good fried chicken locally.He used to drive all the way up to this HUGE place that was both a restaurant and a grocery that was his favorite....I don't remember the name....but in any case his current favorite is Ron's Roost on the western side of Cincinnati.

That said, he also wants, at any chicken place, white cream chicken gravy. Do you recall if they served this there?
SWOhioGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/02/24 17:35:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by baughman

Living in the Cininnati, Dayton area. I must second the post from months ago about this kind of being a void for fried chicken. 2 places stand out.

The Sports Bowl in Middletown ohio. Made Killer Chicken and also Fried Livers. They had A cook that had worked there for decades that could cook. She died a few years ago. But the fried liver is still real good. and still cooked in the same cast iron skillet.

- The second place I was surpised at. The White House I think its called in Indepence Kentucky. Might be wrong on location and name hehe. They designed the place around an old jail house if I am currect? The menu draws on this theme. You can go and order family style Side dishes and all. I was pulled there reluctantly by my wifes family . I was actually impressed by the fried chicken and since it was all u could eat BOOM BABY!!

Actually, I think there's some good fried/broasted chicken in these here parts (SW OH, SE IN). If you've been to Independence, KY, then SE IN shouldn't be too far... Here's a great story about the SE Indiana "Fried Chicken Belt": http://www.cincypost.com/living/1998/chick110598.html

Personally, the fried-to-order chicken at Wagner's in Oldenburg is my favorite so far - very hot, moist, peppery without being too spicy.

In Dayton, I have to agree with arianej - Hasty Tasty Pancake House on Linden has some great fried chicken. However, I'm hooked on one of the Hasty Tasty's Tuesday specials - Baked Chicken and Noodles. Man, oh man...a half a baked chicken, steaming hot, noodles with gravy, two sides (I always get the apple-cranberry salad - not earth-shattering, just good comfort food), and house-made white bread...for 5.95. Amazing.

Regards,
SWOG
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/02/25 17:50:24 (permalink)
We have a place here outside of Pittsburgh in Cranberry Twp, PA that has BROASTED chicken. It's called Climo's. I love their broasted chicken and get it whenever we go there.

Take it from Kenny DFM
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/03/06 10:21:36 (permalink)
I had some excellent fried chicken the other night at Lee Roy Selmon's restaurant in St. Petersburg, Florida. I was pleasantly surprised to learn how good it was and will definitely return again. Selmon's is named after the former Oklahoma and Tampa Bay Bucs football player and he has two or three locations in the Tampa Bay area. The "Sweet Heat Fried Chicken" was supposedly from his mama's recipe and is described on the menu as a classic southern original cooked up crispy and hot, then sprinkled with sweet hot seasoning. The ribs, pulled pork and other dishes looked good from viewing them on other tables.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/03/07 14:41:42 (permalink)
Mrs. Knotts Fried Chicken Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California.

Mouth watering fried chicken, suberb gravy, melt in your mouth biscuits and boysen-loganberry pie that might be the best ever tasted.

Even after feeding masses of people since the 1930s they are still as good as they ever were.

In a pinch, the Fried Chicken that Albertson's sells in CA is good, meaty and cheap (8 piece, salad, rolls) for under $6. Nobody in their right mind should ever tounch KFC.
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/03/18 13:26:57 (permalink)
Is Dodd's Townhouse on the northwest side of Indianapolis still open? I heard some good things about the fried chicken served there, but it's website (www.doddstownhouse.com) hasn't been operating for over a year now. If still open, how does it's fried chicken compare to that at Hollyhock Hill's located just a couple of miles from Dodd's?

Many thanks to SWOhioGuy for putting in the link to the SE Indiana "Fried Chicken Belt" newspaper article. I found that very, very interesting as I "stumbled" upon some of those great peppery fried chicken places a couple of years ago and am really in love with that style of fried chicken. One place not mentioned in the article or by others herein (I don't think) is the Old Brick Tavern in Indiana a couple of miles south of I-74 at Exit 156 (about 15 miles west of the Ohio line). It's a little hard to find, just a plain, nothing fancy old tavern, but their chicken was fabulous. It's chicken coating is light, fluffy and peppery and really hits the spot when stopping after driving a long distance.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/03/19 16:31:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

Is Dodd's Townhouse on the northwest side of Indianapolis still open? I heard some good things about the fried chicken served there, but it's website (www.doddstownhouse.com) hasn't been operating for over a year now. If still open, how does it's fried chicken compare to that at Hollyhock Hill's located just a couple of miles from Dodd's?

Many thanks to SWOhioGuy for putting in the link to the SE Indiana "Fried Chicken Belt" newspaper article. I found that very, very interesting as I "stumbled" upon some of those great peppery fried chicken places a couple of years ago and am really in love with that style of fried chicken. One place not mentioned in the article or by others herein (I don't think) is the Old Brick Tavern in Indiana a couple of miles south of I-74 at Exit 156 (about 15 miles west of the Ohio line). It's a little hard to find, just a plain, nothing fancy old tavern, but their chicken was fabulous. It's chicken coating is light, fluffy and peppery and really hits the spot when stopping after driving a long distance.

Dodd's is still definetly open( I just called to get hours,etc).
Their phone # is 317-257-1872. They are open Sundays 11am-8pm, Tuesday thru Saturday, lunch 11:30am-2pm, dinner 5pm -8:30pm. I have never been to Dodd's, however many of my friends rave about it. When we are planning a special dinner with our family, our kids insist on going to Hollyhock Hill. It is our place to go to celebrations and also have great family style fried chicken with all the fixins.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/03/20 14:15:42 (permalink)
My great-grandmothers (one from Sheridan/Jefferson Township? Tipton, IN and one from Nasville, IN) both made fried chicken fried in lard.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING could compare to their chicken. Alas, I will probably never again taste chicken made that way.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/03 12:28:39 (permalink)
STROUD'S PAN FRIED CHICKEN in Kansas City has got to be right up there with some of the best. I can't go back to KC without making a stop at Stroud's.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/03 13:06:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

My father is always looking for good fried chicken locally.He used to drive all the way up to this HUGE place that was both a restaurant and a grocery that was his favorite....I don't remember the name....but in any case his current favorite is Ron's Roost on the western side of Cincinnati.

That said, he also wants, at any chicken place, white cream chicken gravy. Do you recall if they served this there?

If your father has'nt tried it yet he might check out the Proud Rooster. On the west side as well on Glenway Ave.. Sorry, no milk gravy. They have a huge menu but I'm only fond of the chicken. The sides are Ok but I'm only there for the chicken. Ron's Roost is good stuff as well but his pieces have gotten small over the years. They used to have great saurbrauten and the Hot Slaw is pretty good too.
BernieJ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/06 13:27:05 (permalink)

I head from someone that worked their they are now getting their chicken from a new supplier, not only are the pieces smaller but the stuff is old when they get it.

Appears their long time chef was forced out and the mgt doesn't care.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/06 14:32:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

Is Dodd's Townhouse on the northwest side of Indianapolis still open? I heard some good things about the fried chicken served there, but it's website (www.doddstownhouse.com) hasn't been operating for over a year now.

Unfortunately, Dodd's closed down May 21st. We still have Hollyhock Hill and the Iron Skillet on 30th St. for traditional Hoosier pan fried chicken though.
geishafoodie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/12 11:10:25 (permalink)
Jimmy's Grille in Bridgeville, Delaware is a wonderful spot. They don't have a site but here's a review with address information if needed. :)
http://www.restaurantdb.net/restaurants/reviews-95463.html
captain_keevin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/19 17:54:40 (permalink)
Here in Southern Indiana, we feel the best fried chicken is served at the small restaurant/tavern combinations that have been around for a long time. many people around here think the best of the best is served at The Chicken Place in Ireland, Indiana, which is about 5 miles down the road from Jasper, Indiana, a German settlement known for great food. The Chicken Place has been around since at least the 1950s, maybe longer, and they have a secret recipe that is unlike any that I have ever tasted. They use huge pieces of chicken with a heavy coating, yet that is moist and definitely tastes different than others. Also they are known for their fried chicken livers and gizzards, and don't miss their german fries and german potato salad. It is also known for its huge frosted mugs of beer, and if you go during St Patty's day to Ireland, Indiana, you can drink it green. The place is nothing fancy and it hasn't changed much in 50 years, but if you go on Friday or Saturday evenings, you can expect to wait for awhile to be seated. I would like to hear comments from others, who have eaten here.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/06/19 19:02:48 (permalink)
pollardville on highway 99 in stockton ca- just look for the giant chicken off the highway- this is a roadfood place in there ever was one . It even has a small decaying old west village outback ,complete with train for kiddies ( not sure if it works anymore though) , a real conestoga wagon in the dining room, and good honest chicken and gravy..it is really the kind of roadfood place that is rapidly vanishing from the scene ( check out this website http://www.pollardville.com/ for a better idea)- worth a stop if you are in the area

BigEd3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/04 15:43:42 (permalink)
In the Bimingham,Al area, Seafood & Box Chicken has the best fried chicken.It was featured in Southern Living magizine.It's only 10 min. off I-59.
BigEd3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/04 15:49:05 (permalink)
Sorry, Seafood & CHICKEN Box.
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/06 12:30:05 (permalink)
The best-ever chicken I've ever had was Morty's Chicken, a small regional chain in the Baltimore area. It is impossible to describe the golden perfection that was Morty's chicken, so I will not try. Nor will I endeavor to put to words the incredibly good ranch fries that accompanied Morty's chicken. The chain went south, but the Morty's chicken was ostensibly salvaged by Snyder's Deli in Reisterstown. I spoke with the owner, who assured me that the cooking processes/recipes/batter were identical; however when I took my family back to Maryland a year and a half ago, it was clearly not the same. The chicken was cold and overcooked, the coating did not taste anything like what I remembered, and the fries were completely different. R.I.P. Morty's.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/10 00:33:12 (permalink)
Today I had what might be the best fried chicken I've had in a restaurant. It was at a little restaurant called Our Place on Mt Juliet Rd in Mt Juliet, TN, which is just a few minutes outside Nashville. They make a skinless fried chicken that is genuinely out of this world. If you're in Nashville you should try it. I enjoyed it much more than the chicken at the Loveless Cafe.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/10 00:34:16 (permalink)
There again the best chicken around here is served at the wedding hall/supper clubs. Like the Darboy Club,Romys Nightengale,Van Ables,and Doxbies. Some stores have a good quality fried chicken. Copps Food Stores and Piggly Wiggly right here in Kaukauna. Marys place is the best as far as family restauraunts go. Kims place in Kimberly is also good. No need for KFC here though there is one in Appleton.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5093
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/10 01:18:25 (permalink)
Here in the Dallas area, we have two very good fried chicken restaurants.
Babe's and Bubba's. They are both very good. But if you go, I'd recommend
you bring your cardiologist along as your guest.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5093
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/10 01:26:16 (permalink)
It's been over a million years ago for me. But, if you are on the south shore of Long Island, and, they are still open, try "Raynors Chicken Cabin" on Sunrise Hwy. Just as you approach Baldwin from the west.
Damn! They had the BEST fried chicken and corn fritters
littleanomaly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/13 15:41:41 (permalink)
Southern Missouri, go to Lamberts. You'll start seeing billboards about 100 miles away. They THROW rolls at you. It's like eating at my grandma's house. Only she didn't throw food at people..

http://www.throwedrolls.com/

The sides are served by people walking around with huge pots and spooning it out on your plates. Fried okra, green beans and ham, ham and beans, HUGE rolls, macaroni and tomatoes, fried potatoes.. There's always a wait, but it depends. We went to the one in Sikeston, MO. The first few visits it was only a 5 minute wait, the last one was during SEMO graduation. 30 minutes. WELL WORTH EVERY LITTLE BIT.

I'm really hungry now.. fried chicken happens to be my absolute favorite food.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/07/13 18:52:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sundancer7

Michael, in your extensively traveled expertise, where is the best fried chicken in America?

I want to go there!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Oh, boy, is that a loaded question! But I don't mind taking the plunge. At this moment, for classically excellent fried chicken, I vote for [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1266']Buntyn[/url] in Memphis:

But for great fried chicken with a twist, I like [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=343']The Bon Ton Mini Mart[/url] (Sorry, too delirious to photograph the food!) or the "Bar-B-Que chicken" (actually pan fried, then quick-dipped in hot BBQ sauce at [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=621']Keaton's[/url], not too far from you near Statesville, NC:

Oh crap ya. Buntyn Cafe in Memphis. They also serve you dinner rolls that are incredible.

DT
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1