Good Fried Chicken

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
Mtnmanmar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/08/09 19:33:22 (permalink)
In Charlottesville Va. just down the road from Thomas Jeffersons house is Michie Tavern. They serve awesome fried chicken ,and its all you can eat. They also have great side dishes.Only open for lunch. Oh, did I mention the servers in period colonial costume.
Rowsdower98
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/08/12 12:04:33 (permalink)
In my humble opinion, the best chicken in these United States is at Bottoms Up Bar and Grill in the middle of nowhere near Neunert, Illinois. $5 for a whole chicken on Wednesday nights, and it's some good chicken. Bottoms Up Chicken is best washed down with a big pitcher of the beer of your choice. I grew up in Kentucky, but I didn't have good chicken until I came to Southern Illinois.
russ2304
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/08/12 12:20:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Around Knoxville, you use to be able to buy good fried chicken but that is not the case anymore. I am not sure if KFC ran them all off or what. I would drive 100 miles for some gooooood fried chicken along with some good chicken gravy, cole slaw and hot bisquits. If anyone knows of such a wonderful place, I wanna go and soon. I like it moist on the inside and a real crunch outside or crust.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Pretty far from Knoxville but BEST in Tenn. is GUS'S in Memphis and another local heading from Memphis to Nashville--------------
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/08/23 22:29:33 (permalink)
Yep, it's true, Gus's is now offering franchises. There is one right off of Beale St.
orzobino
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/08/27 11:04:49 (permalink)
I love fried chicken and I think a lot of it is just your preference...I like the batter to be herb and spice free..oddly enough my favorite places for fried chicken are K&W restaurants..and chinese carry outs,I found that they do fried chicken wings to perfection for me...I toss a little honey and malt vinegar on them and they are wondeful and cheap too....
Bobs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2006/08/27 11:52:27 (permalink)
The original Gus's is in Mason TN.It is across the street from Bozo's which used to have fantastic barbecue. It is not as great as it used to be but the atmosphere is out of a 40's movie. I suggest that you go to both and sample a little from each. They are both a part of history that is quickly diappearing.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 899
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/01 19:27:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alipset

Michael (or anyone in the know)-
Any suggestions for good fried chicken right here in Fairfield County, CT? Stew Leonard's is inconsistent at best, and they don't use the skin. Popeye's would be great if I didn't have to travel to NYC.
Thanks,
Alan

Alipset, if you're still around, steer clear of Patty's Pantry, exit 16 off I-84 near Southbury, CT. This is a place we've passed a few times and always wondered how good it was. I found this quote on Merchantcircle.com:

If you are traveling on Route 84 through CT, be sure to stop off exit 16 at Patty's Pantry. Real french fries, excellent fried chicken and the macaroni and cheese on friday are the best around....

Amy brought some home tonight, and it was mediocre at best. The chicken looked a lot better than it tasted, but it wasn't very juicy, and the breasts and wings were pitifully undersized. The mac & cheese was pasta shells with cakey cheddar, and the potato wedges looked scrumptious but were too potatoey and dry.

Friends, should I just give up on finding really good fried chicken in CT? Please help... Chris

P.S. Edited to show the evidence -- we ate all of it, though it definitely netted a C/C- in all areas:

Doggydaddy, steer clear, my friend!
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/01 19:48:17 (permalink)

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I have driven by it many times on my way to Southbury. I was curious but apprehensive, I kind of figured that it was not fresh. The parking lot is never full, maybe for a reason.

For what its worth, there is a Popeye's in New Haven. I have never tried their chicken as by the time I drive past it, I have already eaten at one of the city's more famous places. A Yahoo search mentions other stores in Hamden and Wallingford.

mark
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6366
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/24 21:37:21 (permalink)
The German communities around SE Indiana, offer some mighty fine chicken

Wagner's Village Inn
Famous for our pan-fried chicken served family style. Homestyle breakfast served on weekends.
22171 Main Street
Oldenburg, Indiana 47036

Directions:

I-74 to SR 229 (Batesville exit)
Top of the ramp turn right onto SR 229
Follow 229 to Oldenburg, Wagners on the right

Fireside Inn
Enochsberg, IN (Near Batesville)
(812) 934-4174
I-74 to exit 143 Go north for about 1/2 mile, turn right on Base Rd and drive for 5 minutes, just past St. John the Evangelist Church
Hours are 5-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Old Brick Tavern
Penntown (near Sunman)
(812) 623-2574
I-74 to Sunman exit, Go south on SR101. At 4-way stop sign at SR46 and 101, continue on SR101 for only 100 yards and turn left. Go past the church for only a short distance.
Open 7 days a week, normally until at least until 7:30

All 3 of these serve AWESOME chicken.

PS - The following deserves to be mentioned too

Hearthstone Restaurant
Metamora, IN (765) 647-5204
I-74 to Brookville exit and go north on Rt. 52 for 22 miles.
In historic Metamora, IN

Served Family style with potatoes and milk gravy and veggie + salad bar
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/26 10:11:10 (permalink)
CajunKing is right about the great fried chicken places in SE Indiana. I don't know why its so good in that area, but when traveling up and down I-74 (in between Indianapolis and Cincinnati) we often stop at some of those places for a good fried chicken lunch or dinner. Wagner's in rustic Oldenburg is just a 10 minute drive off of I-74 (at Exit 149) and serves outstanding pan fried chicken. And the locals there also pointed us one time to the Brau Haus on Water Street about a block away. Their fried chicken is excellent also (different but just about as good as Wagner's). Seems the two major restaurants in that tiny town specialize in pan fried chicken.

I've never been to the Fireside Inn, but will make note of it if ever traveling through that area around dinner time. I take it they don't do lunch. But we have stopped for lunch several times at the Old Brick Tavern. It is a dive of sorts, hard to find off of Exit 156, but has fantastic fried chicken when you can get it really hot -- one of the areas best IMO. I've heard the fried chicken is great also at the Heathstone in Metamora and at the Mounds Restaurant in Mound Haven on SR 1 (US 52), but to date have not tried them. I've heard also that the Kopper Kettle Inn in Morristown has great fried chicken also, but that is a little further off I-74 for us than we usually travel. But for the great fried chicken connoisseurs, it may be fried chicken heaven.
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/26 10:13:02 (permalink)
The best fried chicken, IMHO, is at a little place called Old Timers located in Millington TN.
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/26 10:30:44 (permalink)
For the CT people, have you tried Pilgrin Barbaque in Ansonia, years ago and I mean years ago when I was a kid this is what my Aunt would order for family get togethers and granted years and nostalgia may clud my judgement but it was excellant fried chicken.
Jeep2000
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/26 11:13:04 (permalink)
In Central Illinois, my vote goes to Bernardi's in Washington for their juicy, tempura-style battered chicken.
Another great place for fried chicken is Gil's Supper Club in Hanna City.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6366
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/26 14:52:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

Mounds Restaurant in Mound Haven on SR 1 (US 52), but to date have not tried them.

Unfortunately the mounds has closed and reopened a number of times, this last opening, was

Back in the the 70's & 80's they did have really good fried chicken
southpaw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/02/26 15:14:05 (permalink)
If you are ever traveling on I-81 in Virginia take Exit 140 or 141 and head over the mountain into Catawba. (about 8 miles off I-81)

The Homplace is an AYCE family-style resturant that serves GREAT fried chicken along with biscuits and mashed tators and gravy, green beans, cole slaw, pinto beans, along with another choice of ham or roast beef. Cobbler for desert and tea and lemnade to drink.

It's our favorite place to eat.
Legran22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/03/06 15:23:40 (permalink)
Two of the best fried chicken places, as far as I'd concerned, is Frank's Restaurant located on IH10 in Schulenburg, Texas (if you missed the exit to the Luling City Mkt up the road and now have decided on fried chicken instead of Bar B Q). And also the fried chicken (Menu warns: A 20 minute wait!)at the Barbecue Inn on Crosstimbers Rd. in Houston is excellent. They've only been in business, family owned and operated, for 58 years, so I think they've got it down pretty well. You can have one of their excellent fried shrimp or chicken fried steak platters in the meantime if you get hungry waiting for your chicken to cook.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/03/08 20:41:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

The German communities around SE Indiana, offer some mighty fine chicken

Wagner's Village Inn
Famous for our pan-fried chicken served family style. Homestyle breakfast served on weekends.
22171 Main Street
Oldenburg, Indiana 47036

Directions:

I-74 to SR 229 (Batesville exit)
Top of the ramp turn right onto SR 229
Follow 229 to Oldenburg, Wagners on the right

Fireside Inn
Enochsberg, IN (Near Batesville)
(812) 934-4174
I-74 to exit 143 Go north for about 1/2 mile, turn right on Base Rd and drive for 5 minutes, just past St. John the Evangelist Church
Hours are 5-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Old Brick Tavern
Penntown (near Sunman)
(812) 623-2574
I-74 to Sunman exit, Go south on SR101. At 4-way stop sign at SR46 and 101, continue on SR101 for only 100 yards and turn left. Go past the church for only a short distance.
Open 7 days a week, normally until at least until 7:30

All 3 of these serve AWESOME chicken.

PS - The following deserves to be mentioned too

Hearthstone Restaurant
Metamora, IN (765) 647-5204
I-74 to Brookville exit and go north on Rt. 52 for 22 miles.
In historic Metamora, IN

Served Family style with potatoes and milk gravy and veggie + salad bar
Our lunchbunch group has been to the Old Brick Tavern in Penntown IN and we agree the fried chicken there is wonderful. My next door neighbor in Westwood area of Cinci (when I lived there) put me on to the place.

I now live out in Sardinia in Brown County - 60 miles east of Cinci and the places for really good fried chicken here are limited - the best being the Country Inn in Mt Orab at 716 S High St (St Rt 68 - about 3 miles S of St Rt 32) - they also have great soups and sweet cornbread and a limited salad bar that comes with meals. It is now a regular haunt of ours. It takes 20 minutes to cook the chicken.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/03/09 19:56:21 (permalink)
IN CONNECTICUT......

Try the fried chicken at Uncle Willie's Barbecue in Waterbury....awesome, fresh, hot, large pieces. And they even have home made hush puppies. I am 100 miles away from them, but I stop whenever I am passing through.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/03/23 18:18:08 (permalink)
Here in greater Dallas we are blessed with some of the finest fried chicken (and cardiologists) in the world.

"Southern Living" cited Babe's Chicken Dinner House as having the best fried chicken in the South. www.babeschicken.com It is, indeed, a treat.

Just yesterday, for lunch, I enjoyed an even better fried chicken in a quiet, elegant setting (hard to find with fried chicken!) at Rick's Chop House in McKinney, TX. Right there on a sophisticated menu is "Buttermilk Fried Chicken" which is lightly breaded and pan-fried to order. The chef will even "heat up" the spicing on request. When I requested honey, out it came in a crystal cruet which swam in a hot water bath and dispensed from the bottom. The accompanying "smashed potatos" and fresh corm and chopped haricot vert succotash were magnificent. At $12 this lunch was a "steal".
www.rickschophouse.com

Last, I mourn the passing of Whitey's on the corner of Washington Bv. and Pershing Dr. in Arlington, VA where for years I enjoyed "broasted chicken". This is great stuff! Check the store locator on www.broaster.com to see if you are so lucky as to have a restaurant, gas station, or grocery store that serves this delicacy.

Search Roadfood for "broasted" amd many other reviews will come up. Enjoy!

foodgood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Good Fried Chicken 2008/05/16 00:01:50 (permalink)
There's many different styles of fried chicken- from Korean places, to broasted whole birds- from buttermilk-based batter, to hot sauce-slathered, tastes know no bounds. As for me, I love it all (as long as it's not overcooked); but to me, the real key has to be some kinda rosemary in there somewhere- it's that smell, as passed on through the family recipe, that says "real fried chicken" to me. I grew up in NE, but that fried chicken recipe was from NC, via my great-grandma.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1