Good Mexican Food in Atlanta

Author
atlantarealtor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/01/23 20:25:29 (permalink)

Good Mexican Food in Atlanta

Hi. I am from SAn Antonio, Texas but have been living in Atlanta for the last few years. Can anyone tell me where i can find some good, authentic Mexican food here in Atlanta?

9 Replies Related Threads

BillVol
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/24 01:49:29 (permalink)
    I like Mi Casa in Woodstock. Exit 7 off of I-575, turn left. On right, after about a mile or so.

El Taco Veloz has good fast food -- burros, etc. Many locations, including Roswell Road just inside perimeter.

Zocalo in midtown is considered one of the best in town.

Nuevo Laredo on Chattahoochee (sp) is perhaps the most popular. Frequented by yuppies. Food is good and dive location in odd part of town is interesting.
    geonuc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/25 07:51:56 (permalink)
    Try Sylvia's Pastry and Mexican Food in Norcross. 6065 S Norcross Tucker Road
    Phone: (770) 496-4550

(The sign out front says "Michoacan Restaurant and Pastry shop" or something like that)
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/26 16:49:04 (permalink)
    I assume that you are looking for Mexicans preparing food for Mexicans. Several places around here are quite good at preparing Mexican food for Anglos - Nuevo Laredo is an excellent example.

I would suggest Supermercado Jalisco, Jonquil Plaza Shopping Center, on Atlanta Road just north of Spring Road/Concord Road in Smyrna. They have a very clean, fairly large dining area within the supermarket and serve a variety of excellent tortas (sandwiches), burritos, and tacos at what I feel are very reasonable prices.

Restaurant LaPlacita on Jonquil Drive at Spring Road in Smyrna serves Oaxacan cuisine. The tlayudas are outstanding. Everything else is quite good.

El Azteca Groceria (Alpharetta Hwy just south of Holcomb Bridge/Crossville), Taco Mas (across from El Azteca and slightly north), and Carniceria San Miguel (on Holcomb Bridge one block west of GA 400) in Roswell are excellent and casual with menus which are similar to Supermercado Jalisco above.

Mr. Taco is on Warsaw (behind CVS Pharmacy) at Holcomb Bridge in Roswell. Very casual with full menu of Mexican dishes.

If you are interested in Mexican for Anglo cuisine, Neuvo Laredo (mentioned in earlier post) is very good and very busy. We waited an hour and a half for a table when we arrived at 1pm on a Sautrday.

Pure Taqueria is a new venture in Roswell operated by local Anglo chefs who have three other excellent restaurants. It is just north of Old Milton Parkway on Roswell Street in Alpharetta. This is one block west of Alpharetta Hwy - just south of downtown Alpharetta. Open from 11am to 10pm daily, the dishes are tasty and the presentation and menu are unlike the typical Mexican restaurants of the area. Last week, I had excellent lamb tacos.

I spent 21 years of my earlier life in New Mexico, before moving to Georgia 23 years ago. I have enjoyed trying the various Mexican possibilities that have almost all arrived since I moved here. Good luck on your quest.
    Desolation Row
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/26 20:06:18 (permalink)
    I enjoy eating at Taxco on Roswell Rd between Buckhead and Sandy Springs. Also, you might want to try Jalisco in the Peachtree Battle shopping center. I'm not sure if these are Mexican restaurants for Anglos or not. As I'm not really a expert on Mexican cuisine. Both of these restaurants are pretty decent though, IMO.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/27 07:16:58 (permalink)
    We have recently been frequenting El Fogon in Kennesaw. Slightly different menu than the regular "El Toro" places. La HAcienda on Canton Hwy. in Marietta started out as an upscale Mexican place and was superb, but they caved in to the Anglos when people couldn't find the usual combination plates. Their menu is better than most chain Mexican places though.
    larmar20
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/29 10:30:44 (permalink)
    Where in Kennesaw is El Fogon?

Thanks
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/30 07:24:42 (permalink)
    In the shopping center at Cherokee and Jiles Road catty-corner from Kroger
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 862
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2006/01/30 08:06:42 (permalink)
    I like the Taqueria Los Hermanos, in a shopping center anchored by a Publix grocery at 4418 Hugh Howell Road in Tucker. Nice comfortable little place with a regular selection of cheap tacos among other items (including a great shrimp-corn chowder), plus a daily special that's always interesting. Get the tres leches cake if they have it.
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Good Mexican Food in Atlanta 2008/08/17 16:00:15 (permalink)
    I ate at Los Hermanos recently, the shrimp corn chowder was excellent, had a chicken/spinach thing that was good if a bit bland so I added some sour cream and that helped...No room for tres leches cake but am going to make one using their recipe as my belated birthday cake soon. My mother lives very near Los Hermanos in Tucker, and since it is near Kroger and Publix and a Starbucks and Brusters, I am happy...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1