Good News !- Orange Inn formerly of Corona Del Mar never went out of business.

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
2009/04/26 14:50:08 (permalink)

Good News !- Orange Inn formerly of Corona Del Mar never went out of business.

It's always sad to hear of great Roadfood establishments that go out of business, but what about classic Roadfood establishments that were somehow "assumed" to be out of business but never closed...

I discovered on my recent trip out to Southern California, that the Orange Inn, a classic roadfood establishment that invented the Southern California Smoothie in the 1930's is still flourishing.....

Reviewed by the Sterns in the Pre Website Roadfood books, The Orange Inn has been around since the 1930's and apparently has not had a change of ownership since the Stern's last wrote about the place...

Allthough this was my first visit  I can only assume based on my experience as well as the decent sized number of patrons during both visits that the quality has remained unchanged, the only difference is that they had to move a couple of decades from Corona Del Mar south to Laguna Beach due to booming condo development along the California Coast.

3 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    Re:Good News !- Orange Inn formerly of Corona Del Mar never went out of business. 2009/04/27 09:58:48 (permalink)
    Just so I understand correctly, are you saying that this is the place that is credited with actually inventing the smoothie?  If so, that would make it especially appealing to stop here.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:Good News !- Orange Inn formerly of Corona Del Mar never went out of business. 2009/04/27 12:30:11 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Just so I understand correctly, are you saying that this is the place that is credited with actually inventing the smoothie?  If so, that would make it especially appealing to stop here.

Yes, that is correct, apparently they invented the smoothie back in the 1930's...

rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    Re:Good News !- Orange Inn formerly of Corona Del Mar never went out of business. 2009/04/27 13:27:32 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

It's always sad to hear of great Roadfood establishments that go out of business, but what about classic Roadfood establishments that were somehow "assumed" to be out of business but never closed...

I discovered on my recent trip out to Southern California, that the Orange Inn, a classic roadfood establishment that invented the Southern California Smoothie in the 1930's is still flourishing.....

Reviewed by the Sterns in the Pre Website Roadfood books, The Orange Inn has been around since the 1930's and apparently has not had a change of ownership since the Stern's last wrote about the place...

Allthough this was my first visit  I can only assume based on my experience as well as the decent sized number of patrons during both visits that the quality has remained unchanged, the only difference is that they had to move a couple of decades from Corona Del Mar south to Laguna Beach due to booming condo development along the California Coast.

Not only was the Orange Inn covered in the first Roadfood book (ca. 1978), it was one of about 10 Roadfood places that Esquire Magazine included as excerpts in its review of the book.  Trivia question:  what were the others and how many are still around?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1