The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Good Times have ended!

cowboy bob 2

• Total Posts: 101
Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:06 AM (permalink)
Hi All, My concession trailer is down on the farm with my old one. Yes, I have lost my gold mine spot. I spent the last week cleaning the grease and grime out of both of them. The place where my trailer was located was closed off. They offered me a new spot. Well thats good cowboy. just wait a minute and hear me out. I paid $100.00 a week in rent. new location would be $500.00 a week rent + pay for electrical connection of 220volts about (their estimates $2,000.00)
The rear end who said thie to me was the Asst. Gen. Mgr. The Gen Mgr, has his say as to the final descision. Next week. When they raise your rent that much, It says one thing, they or he dosen't you around anymore. I took the hint. I either will be selling both units or just one or look for a new place. I am not defeated, things change. I will be 65 in June and love my SS. But on the other hand I love to cook for the customers. Especially breakfast, (my way)
Later Cowboy in PA

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
    RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:20 AM (permalink)
    I am sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
      RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:20 AM (permalink)
      Sounds to me that your food must have been too good. (A compliment.) Don't ever give up!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
        RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:23 AM (permalink)
        What is breakfast "Your way" Ol' Cowboy Bob ???????????????????

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
          RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:29 AM (permalink)
          By the way Roy Rogers, or John Wayne wouldn't take this lying down. They would stick out their chin, strap on the 6-irons (sounds like a golf term) (and on Master's Day to boot) and take on those varments, them there city slickers who are managers and asst managers. It looks like they are in cohouts to get rid of you "a good ol' boy" and get one of their own kind into that gold mine of yourin. Hang in there pard------

Sundancer7

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:33 AM (permalink)
            Sounds to me like a economonic decision on your part. If you can make enough, stay and if you cannot, leave. Perhaps you can justify the extra rent by raising some of your prices and adding more to your menu. You did not give enough information about the site except indicating it was a gold mine.

I am sure the concession business is a bit risky. I just went to the Rossini Italian Festival in downtown Knoxville last evening. They were expecting 85K and far less than that turned up due to it being cold and windy. I felt very sorry for some of the concession folks as ice cream, cold drinks, beer and anything not warm was selling poorly.

Paul E. Smith
            knoxville, TN

Adjudicator

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:45 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by the ancient mariner

By the way Roy Rogers, or John Wayne wouldn't take this lying down. They would stick out their chin, strap on the 6-irons (sounds like a golf term) (and on Master's Day to boot) and take on those varments, them there city slickers who are managers and asst managers. It looks like they are in cohouts to get rid of you "a good ol' boy" and get one of their own kind into that gold mine of yourin. Hang in there pard------

Precisely my point...

cowboy bob 2

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:49 AM (permalink)
                Breakfast My Way, IS hey special orders upset us. It's either my way or go to Burger King. An egg sand plain, an egg sand with one or two meats. Hey it's a walk up place not a sit down rest. I sell egg egg sand's not a buffet. I tried to sell you a hot egg sand w/meat to eat while you were walking away, not dippy eggs. If you want Hash browns, I did them but did't advertise them and I had about 10 items that were that way. Why? as a one man operation it would slo down the works. some times I had 6 or 8 egg orders on the grill at on time. I was not Mikey D's. Just honest food at a fair price.
                CBB

Adjudicator

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 10:58 AM (permalink)
                  To me, a hot breakfast sandwich (2 fried eggs, cheese, and plenty of bacon/sliced ham/sausage, and mayo) is pure heaven. BTW: what are "dippy eggs"?

cowboy bob 2

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 11:05 AM (permalink)
                    If I would let them get away with a drastic price rent increase. what next? I could buy a brick and mortar place for that kind of money. Hey all I want to do is cook breakfast and lunch "my menu" 'my way". I could rent a mall space for that kind of money or a little more.
                    Oh he also said with the new move, "you could easily double your sales" Ok with more customers, I'd have to hire another thief. Because they are not happy at $8.00 hr. If you hire them for 4 hrs thats 32.00 plus a twenty here or there.
                    If i just took the money in, I wouldn't be doing what I like to do, cook for you. "Diognees was looking for an honest person."
                    When I was in my 20's, I would eat at this great small diner, it had a owner/cook and a waitress, what a great thing this was. Hmm. I wonder, was she taking her cut from him too?
                    Remember this is a concession stand not a diner.
                    I did a gig once at a Blue Grass show, the only concession there. promised at least 300 people there, it rained only 150. Did I lose or what. I don't do gigs any more. I am going to take my own advise, look for a new place. I could even go back to the Furniture Store location. Mon thru Fri. But I will wait one more week. for final decision.
                    CBB

cowboy bob 2

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 11:16 AM (permalink)
                      Dippy Eggs - Eggs that have the yolk (yellow Part) cooked but, soft to dip bread in. Not runny. If you are doing an egg sand. you don't want them running down the customers chin. When doing. egg sand. break egg on grill and break yolk and cook then flip once to cook yellow. serve with sausage or bacon, man! I getting hungry thinking about it. Serve on a toasted buttered Bun with Cheese, warmed, not melted and wrap in a heat keeping paper and serve, Wa la, Yum, yum!
                      Now before you ask what is a warmed chesse slice and why? If you cook it too long it runs out the sides, If you lay a cold slice on cooked eggs, and when the sides droop down it is time to wrap it. The cheese will melt in wrapper the rest of the way. If not overcooking makes a cheese soup and runs down the customers chin. and when you look at them, you want to offer them a mirror or extra napkin. OH gross.
                      CBB
                      PS This is cooking my way. You offer your customers your way, Thank you.

Adjudicator

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 11:19 AM (permalink)
                        Good Luck! I wish we had even one person like you in my area! Let us know what happens.

Adjudicator

RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 11:23 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by cowboy bob 2

Dippy Eggs - Eggs that have the yolk (yellow Part) cooked but, soft to dip bread in. Not runny. If you are doing an egg sand. you don't want them running down the customers chin. When doing. egg sand. break egg on grill and break yolk and cook then flip once to cook yellow. serve with sausage or bacon, man! I getting hungry thinking about it. Serve on a toasted buttered Bun with Cheese, warmed, not melted and wrap in a heat keeping paper and serve, Wa la, Yum, yum!
                          Now before you ask what is a warmed chesse slice and why? If you cook it too long it runs out the sides, If you lay a cold slice on cooked eggs, and when the sides droop down it is time to wrap it. The cheese will melt in wrapper the rest of the way. If not overcooking makes a cheese soup and runs down the customers chin. and when you look at them, you want to offer them a mirror or extra napkin. OH gross.
                          CBB
                          PS This is cooking my way. You offer your customers your way, Thank you.

It appears you and I cook much in the same way. Unfortunately, I have no audience except my spouse & cats. I have NEVER had a complaint!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                            RE: Good Times have ended! Sun, 04/9/06 8:16 PM (permalink)
                            CBB, $500/week+utilities is unacceptable. We're in the "mobile food service business," where anything can happen, any time, and it does. Being mobile has no guarantees, but allows the freedom of moving. I believe that every time one door closes, another opens. This may be a blessing in disguise. I'm my own boss and if the landlord's terms don't meet my needs and they won't negotiate, I look for a new door. They're lots of them out there. All it takes is time and patience.

Best of luck.

CSD
                            Born in Chicago
                            Escaped to Wisconsin
                            Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs/Polish

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                              RE: Good Times have ended! Mon, 04/10/06 4:00 AM (permalink)
                              It is a business decision on their part, capitalism in its finest form. It wouldn't suprise if they, whomever they are, put their own place there, or lease to someone who is willing to pay the price. Either pony up the bucks, or move on to a new location and beat them at their own game. Best of luck

bassrocker4u2

• Total Posts: 534
                                RE: Good Times have ended! Mon, 04/10/06 7:27 AM (permalink)
                                thats what i was thinking. perhaps one of the big wigs has a nephew or neice that wants to get into the biz, so he got you out the only way he knew how. i would watch the place, and if someone else comes in, maybe have a spy sneak info out of them...
                                then get you one of those famous 'philly lawyers'

meantime, find you another place better......

cowboy bob 2

RE: Good Times have ended! Mon, 04/10/06 8:24 AM (permalink)
                                  Thank you for all your encouragement. I am seeking new opportunities for my business. "If you are there they will come" If you offer a good product they will come for miles. I am down but not out. I will put some of my efforts this week in finding a new location. My newest trailer is spic & span and ready to go into service at a moments notice. My other trailer needs a 3 sink system to be ready (per Board of Health) to cook hamburgers & fries. If I stick to Hot Dogs and soups, Sandwiches. One sink is sufficient. You must have back ups of all utensils (ie, tongs) and wrapped in cellephane and throw away spoons, forks & knives. Do your pots & pans at home. The main thing around here is a place to wash your hands and a rest room. No going into a coffee can. Ha Ha!

Later CBB

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                    RE: Good Times have ended! Mon, 04/10/06 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                    Good for you Cowboy Bob. That's the entreprenur spirit! No need to immerse in analysis paralysys. Move forward and let the good times roll. They're lots of hungry customers out there waiting your food.

CSD
                                    Born in Chicago
                                    Escaped to Wisconsin
                                    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs/Polish

cowboy bob 2

RE: Good Times have ended! Wed, 04/12/06 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                      UPDATE: I just got back from a meeting with my old furniture store site. I left there last March. The reason I bring this topic to you is never "Burn your bridges behind you" So starting this Monday coming I am going back to my old site. Best of all Free rent. My sales will not be the same, but I will be getting out of the House. My new menu will NOT include Ice Cream or any Deep Fried Products.
                                      I am going to purchase another single propane grill from Lowes to cook Breakfast on. I will still have my steam table fired by propane also. I will carry food every Day and keep in Ice chests. I will use a generator to use the Micro Wave and a small refrig. If I run out of food, That's the way it will be, I still will offer Burgers,
                                      I did about 75 to 150 Mon thru Fri. From 8 till 2 . About 1/4 of what I did at my old location. I have both units advertised locally for sale. My larger unit is ready to go size 8.5x20. I am glad I kept the smaller one, that is the one I am going to use.
                                      Later, CBB

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Good Times have ended! Wed, 04/12/06 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                        CBB... With the exposure you had at the auction site, you'll probably see more traffic from familar faces! Feed 'em good and they will follow...

Should put a small sign at the auction site (hopefully out of respect they let you do this) letting them know your new location.

ldforman

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Good Times have ended! Fri, 04/14/06 5:39 AM (permalink)
                                          CBB - have you put a pencil to the overhead they're asking for at the old location which increased their rent? It may pay to stay at the old gold mine.

Also...really doubt the amounts they're talking about with the electricity.

Just my 2 cents worth!

dadesign

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: Good Times have ended! Sat, 04/29/06 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                            Yar, sorry to hear about that.

If you ever need a helping hand for graphics works for your food outlet at your new location.

i am available to give you a free start off.

posters, flyers design.
                                            look me up.

All the best cowboy Bob.

Jensen.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
                                              RE: Good Times have ended! Mon, 05/1/06 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                              What about Home Depot? Both of my local ones have a gal/guy in the parking lot selling dogs and sausage. I don't know what rent HD charges, but it makes them a better 1 stop than Lowes. On a busy Saturday, it saves a lot of time to get a quick snack along with the 2x4s and pansies.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com