Good pizza in North Jersey

Author
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
2008/01/16 11:47:20 (permalink)

Good pizza in North Jersey

The only place I know to go to Brooklyn's pizza in Hackensack-coal oven-great pizza-any other suggestions

14 Replies Related Threads

nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2008/01/17 08:29:15 (permalink)
    Kinchley's in Ramsey-wonderful pizza.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2008/01/17 10:16:07 (permalink)
    Geez, I really feel for ya - I imagine good pizza is hard to find in North Jersey unlike here in Kansas.
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2008/01/17 12:05:00 (permalink)
    Kinnchleys is the best-I forget that place is there. So crowded-great pie with sausage/pepperoni/hot peppers.
    Super thin crust.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2008/07/24 22:18:21 (permalink)
    If you are willing to venture out to Staten Island...Denino's on Richmond Ave. is AWESOME!! It is (dare I say) worth the $8 toll across the bridge from NJ.
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2008/07/24 22:34:13 (permalink)
    kinchley's tavern. best in north jersey. they crank it out too- always packed... enjoy fb
    Tony White
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/05 22:31:42 (permalink)
    Pizza Town in Elmwood Park. Great Slices and they Deep Fry Their Small Calzones. You can Also get Zepoles
    Which you don't see much anymore.

FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/05 22:56:48 (permalink)
    Amano- Ridgewood, NJ- very fantastic Napolitana style pizza- Mozzarella Di Buffala, San Marzano Tomatoes, 00 Flour, Fresh Basil, very very good. pies take 3-4 minutes- now that is right- great char. highly recommended!
    Kinchley's is great in the NJ Bar Pie category- classic red sauce italian spot with great super thin crust pies (almost cracker like, but very light).

Amano, Amano, Amano... enjoy- fb
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5047
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/06 00:13:34 (permalink)
    Niagara

Geez, I really feel for ya - I imagine good pizza is hard to find in North Jersey unlike here in Kansas.

Ditto from me here in, Dallas.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/06 01:52:46 (permalink)
    Frank - I cannot wait to try Amano next time I am in NJ.  My Sister-In-Law also heard it is good...

Is it in Ridgewood or Westwood?_____________________

I also want to try Kinchley's, too.  I heard it was wonderful.

Pizza Town (lunch) was on my list of go to's in April..Never got there.....

Have you ever been to the Lido in Hackensack...Not bad. 

Usually, the very first night we arrive in Hackensack, we go to Brooklyn Pizza.  Next time, we will go to Amano.

I cannot get my wife and Sister-In-Law to do all these pizza places in 10-12 days!  That's the problem....

Great suggestions guys..I've heard of every one of them!! Thanks..
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1588
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/06 08:59:07 (permalink)
    Just a few miles over the border into NY is the town of Nanuet, which has it's own little local pizza scene going on. There are 4 or 5 competing places within a few blocks of each other on Main Street. Over a period of a year or so I tried each one. All were good, but the Nanuet Hotel (132 South Main) was outstanding.

I've been wanting to try Amano's since someone posted about it a couple of months ago. Here's their website with details about location, menu, etc:

http://amanopizza.com/
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/06 09:46:05 (permalink)
    FrankBooth

Amano- Ridgewood, NJ- very fantastic Napolitana style pizza- Mozzarella Di Buffala, San Marzano Tomatoes, 00 Flour, Fresh Basil, very very good. pies take 3-4 minutes- now that is right- great char. highly recommended!

A Mano's pizze cook in 60 to 90 seconds, not 3-4 minutes.  Pizza Town in Elmwood Park manages to get theirs out of the oven in just over 3 minutes, which is impressive for that style of pizza.  

Speaking of styles of pizza, there are many in north jersey, and claims of "the best" are a bit silly.  They are different animals and can't be compared. 

There a bunch of what is often referred to as cracker-crust style.  This style is has a low moisture, very thin and crunchy crust.  They are often referred to as "bar pies", but I don't find that description very helpful, as that description can refer to size more than style.  Notable places serving this style:
    Kinchley's in Mahwah
    Nellie's in Waldwick
    Patsy's in Paterson
    Town Pub in Bloomfield
    Star Tavern in Orange
    Lido in Hackensack, although I've never been.
    Reservoir Tavern in Parsippany (not a fan, but it's worth a visit)

A Mano in Ridgewood is serving Neapolitan-style pizza, and it's the only place in north jersey doing this, at least to the extent that they are shooting for that style.  The pizza is similar to what you'd find in Naples and its environs, and is much different than NYC style pizza (although I think people think NYC pizza is what you find in Italy, just as they think all of these Italian American restaurants are serving "Italian food").  

Then there's the NYC-Neapolitan style, which was born from places like Lombardi's.  Sort of a hybrid of the regular pizza you'd get in NYC, and Neapolitan style.  Places like Brooklyn's Pizza, and Grimaldi's in hoboken. 

For what I would describe as Jersey Boardwalk/Classic Jersey style pizza, Pizza Town is my new passion.  They hit this style out of the park.  After you have their pizza, you realize how awful most pizzerias in north jersey really are.  Most places, which feed the masses and can be found in every town, serve doughy, undercooked, dried out, pedestrian pizza.  Pizza Town's pizza is lighter, brighter, and better.

All of those place are no doubt worth a visit.   

edited to add that Panevino in Livingston is also producing Neapolitan-style pizza, although not quite as successfully as A Mano.  

post edited by tommyeats - 2009/07/06 12:32:05
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/06 10:32:35 (permalink)
    Reservoir Tavern (Parsippany) seems to have  a good reputation, I've never been though.
    Anthony Francos on Rt 46 WB (Parsippany) is pretty good, the slices are large and from what I remember the stromboli was very good, albeit greasy. Enzos (Hackettstown) still has my favorite pizza. If you're there also try the garlic knots (with mozz!) and if you're extra hungry maybe a fresh itailian sub. Very, very good. Enzos actually supplies a local watering hole (Bar46) with bar pies that sell like hotcakes.

Edit: I've also recently tried Delizia Pizza Kitchen (Boonton) near the Walmart. Just a quick in and out, tried a slice of plain. Usual NY style, nice crust. There was something different though about either the cheese or sauce, I'm not sure which. It wasn't anything bad, maybe a little more salt than I'm used to or something. I'll try again and see how it is.
    post edited by cameron074 - 2009/07/06 10:40:34
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/08 18:48:35 (permalink)
    Mikez629,
            I have a few questions.

Since you live in Oakland and the only “good pizza” you know is in Hackensack – what do you call “good pizza” and what do you call bad pizza?

The reason I’m asking is because there must be 50 pizzerias in the towns that are just off the highways between Hackensack and Oakland.

Also, what do you call North Jersey?
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1270
    Re:Good pizza in North Jersey 2009/07/09 12:44:17 (permalink)
    mikez629The only place I know to go to Brooklyn's pizza in Hackensack-coal oven-great pizza-any other suggestions

Actually, my problem with Brooklyn's pizza is that they are a bit TOO fresh; they don't saute most of their vegetable toppings. They're a bit too close to the pizza I can make in my own oven (with a pizza stone), so my attitude tends to be "why bother?"

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1