Good place in South Bend IN area (specifically Niles, MI area)

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2010/05/07 21:50:37 (permalink)

Good place in South Bend IN area (specifically Niles, MI area)

Met up with some old friends, and they suggested this place: Wheatberry's.

I can't say that it is region-specific, but they have a decent beer and drink list and the food is pretty dang good. It is upscale bar food; ribs, big burgers, bbq chicken, sweet potato fries, fish, etc. They have a smokehouse and do their own Q; the ribs are smoky and have good "tug". Everything looks fresh and thought out. The place is nice and open and has good ambiance, and it is definitely not part of the university scene; it is Roadfood if you are in the South Bend area and don't want to see Notre Dame people.

This is a Red Bud Platter (they are on Red Bud Road): half order of bback ribs, half chicken, bakeds and sweet potato fries. On the wood slab is a row of the 4 Michigan beers they serve; someone's Kolsch, a Bell's IPA, a Founder's something, and someone's dark milk stout that tasted almost like whiskey. Sorry for the cell phone picture, all I had with me was the big camera and Mrs Mosca wouldn't let me bring it in.

Edite to correct the beers: Round Barn Kolsch, a nice light hoppy beer. Bell's Two Hearted Ale, not the IPA. Very balanced. Founder's Red Rye, very nice. All three of these would be just great with the type of food I ordered. Dragon's Milk Stout, very strong. I'm not a fan of the style; almost like a malt whiskey. That isn't a fault of the brew; it is a good example of the style, but it's not for me. I like strong and dark, but this was over the top.

5 of us, with drinks and after tax but before tip, $95. Recommended.

post edited by Mosca - 2010/05/07 22:48:24

1 Reply Related Threads

DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Good place in South Bend IN area (specifically Niles, MI area) 2010/05/07 22:26:11 (permalink)
    That looks awesome!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1