Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 13:49:00 (permalink)
You are correct, DoctorDan. My experience is that 80% of the people like and enjoy the Varsity. And 20% don’t care for it. If the majority of people didn’t like it, the Varsity would not have been in business for 60 years and be the largest drive-in in the world.

I think the Sterns review is right on the money and the review does say the hot dogs are “served in steamy-soft buns.” I don’t understand BakersBoy’s comment about the “the service was worse.” They have to move a lot of people through the lines, so they do expect you to know what you want to order. The servers may be brusque if you are holding up the line.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 14:03:21 (permalink)
Sometimes eating establishments are more than just about the food. A lot of these places are endangered species, the last of a bygone era.
DoctorDan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 15:11:43 (permalink)
You're right, Southern Fried. Brusque may be an understatement for the service. They have a sign that says "Have your order in mind and your money in hand". If you get to the front of the line without being ready to order, the server will give you about ten seconds, and then, if you are still deciding, he will ask the NEXT person in line "What'll ya have?". This is not unlike some of the other fast food restaurants I have read about on Roadfood.

Doctor Dan
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 17:13:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

I checked and didn't find one review in the restaurant section for Berkeley Springs, nor did I see any where in the forums where you offered us all an education on the places you found there. You know of the good places in your area, but haven't taken the time to get a few pictures and write a short review so others can find them, or at least list them in the forum, and then take issue with others. Funny.

We could all benefit from people writing about their local places, instead many do nothing but crab about others not doing it for them.

No one person can find and report on every single place...it takes the work of many. Instead of wasting time complaining, go write a review so when I head to Berkeley Springs I can have the benefit of your experiences.

This is one of the things that has always baffled me about this site. People come here and post topics like "tell me where to eat in my own hometown." They say that they just moved there and want to know where to go. What a waste. Go to some of the places that you think look good, and then let us know which places are worthwhile and which are not. I could never imagine writing a thread in which I asked for help finding eats where I lived!
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 17:18:08 (permalink)
I absolutely loved Bobcat Bite. Maybe it was an off day?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 19:08:01 (permalink)
Baker's Boy Kevin,
My advice? Heed the R. E. M. song and "take a break, Driver 8." That's what I do from time to time; that's one reason my words of wisdumb appear here in clumps rather than on a near-daily basis... I get burned out if I come here every day (I get burned out if I go virtually ANYWHERE every day - even HOME!!).
Keep reading from time to time, but don't go on anyone's 25-year-old reports of good restaurants. No superhuman(s) could continuously keep check on all the decent Roadfooderies even in Connecticut, let alone New England, let alone The Eastern Seaboard, let alone that third of The United States, let way-the-heck-alone the whole country. Ubiquity would be a marvelous human trait, but none of us have it... we'd be spread thinner than peanut butter or mayonnaise if we did.
As for me, I'm taking a break myself. The library is closing and I'm heading to Copper Creek for one lonely little pint of English Mild Ale (while it's on tap: Monday it's apt to be gone). Just don't run plumb off, Kevin - I'd miss you, and I'm by no means alone.
Circumferentially, Ort. Carlton All Around In Athens, Georgia.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 19:49:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Not in this case.

A dental instrument or a police station...I am guessing the meal at issue is named for the police station.

Am I close?
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 20:06:16 (permalink)
Yep. The restaurant is in the Hollenbeck precinct in East L.A. "Homicidal Hollenbeck". Note to WJ: Don't go there after dark.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 20:08:50 (permalink)
One of the things I enjoy about this site is the informality, theres a broad range of opinions and off beat humour. You never know where a thread is going to end up leading.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 20:25:16 (permalink)
I am having a blast learning about all kinds of places all over the country. I've been to 17 new places this year that I would have never known even exisited without the great folks on this board. (9 of them today on the Cheesehead in Beer Town tour!) I've met dozens of lovely people in person and online. I may not always agree with everyone, but then again, that would be pretty boring. Yes, we talk a lot about certain kinds of food, but BBQ is VERY regionalized and I like to know what to expect.

Sad that you think you have to go.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 20:58:49 (permalink)
Well I am staying unless my cardiologist finds out I am pursuing pork tenderloin sandwiches. Then I may have to find a forum that talks about asparagus arranged in a perfect pentagon around a 2 ounce serving of broiled salmon.
trudyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 23:33:25 (permalink)
Didn't BB make a farewell post about a year ago, around the time Meowzart left?
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 02:27:48 (permalink)
what-da-ya-have, what-da-ya-have, what-da-ya-have, ...I'll tell you what I wont have and that's a hot dog at the Varsity............the Varsity sucks! ........what the Varsity does have is history, tradition and big crowds before and after a football game.
If one wants good hot-dogs one travels up to New Jersey, New York or Connecticut.
I agree with Kev, a lot of old food places here have to be purged from these pages............
Linda and I travel the road a lot, Linda is retired and I'm semi retired. A typical road trip for us is at least 8,000 miles and 45 days long, the reason for our travel is regional road food....................We are not trail blazers we take only restaurant recommendations. We never leave home without it Roadfood.com, Michael & Jane's books and a few others like my old friend Steve Millburg from Coastal Living and his views on seafood dives. If you like seafood Google "Steve Millburg". About 9 years ago Steve put me on to Woodmen's in Essex where some of you folks will be heading very soon with Michael and Jane............ you're going to love Woodmens it's my all time East Coast Roadfood joint.
Our all time East Coast disappointment............. the Maine Diner........... after waiting about a half hour to be seated at a tiny table in the middle of the aisle, I had to send my "eggs over easy" back to the kitchen not once, not twice but three times before they had them right. Eggs "over easy" should not be to difficult for any diner to produce. The joint is too freeken crowded with no time for the customer. It's hurry up and eat so you can make room for the next tourist................ A diner in Maine we do like is Moody's
My biggest west coast roadfood disappointment is Philippe's in LA for any one of their French dip limp sandwiches. Philippe's is like the Varsity in Atlanta. It has good tradition but not good food.
My all time west coast favorite restaurant was again given to me by Steve Millburg ...Phil's Fish Market and Eatery at Moss Landing Calif. Al the Mayor you'll be driving right past it on your way to LA
I as BakersBoy, came to Roadfood.com in search of regional road food restaurants. I found a lot of wonderful places to eat while on the road here......... Roadfood.com is my most valued source along with Coastal Living and on the west coast where I live it's Sunset Magazine.
My main interest in reading this forum is roadfood............... and I will have to side with BakersBoy there is too much crap on these pages about meatloaf recipes and not enough about where to eat a great meatloaf. I'll also admit that I will be one of the first to join in on pooh poohing any one I don't agree with. Too many people writing about anything but roadfood. Hell we have a roadfood member who's only contribution was to see how fast she could enter a 1000 posts as if it were some kind of badge. Ninety percent of her posting contain less then six words and none relating to roadfood......... but she has over 1000 entries WOW............... now there I go being sarcastic again........
I guess the best way to look a Roadfood.com is to take what you want and leave the rest.
What we need here is a option like they have in chat rooms where you can click on a members name and IGNORE all their ranting's .........work on that Steve Jr.

I bet the next post will say something like "yeah Frank and you'll be the first one on my ignore list? ....... lol, so be it
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7012
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 07:59:05 (permalink)
Frank, you ALREADY ARE the first one on my ignore list!! NO, NO, I'm just kidding!! But I couldn't resist. Your best line is "I guess the best way to look at Roadfood.com is to take what you want and leave the rest." Amen. There are threads that we all choose to ignore like "What's for din din?" And the obnoxious DrSmoke. But most of the Roadfooders are pretty decent. We have made lots of friends, eaten at a lot of eateries and look forward to more Roadfood.

We have had the pleasure of entertaining Al-The-Mayor and Janet, RedPatti and Jeff, Rick F and Jan, queenb, and others. In SoCal we met the lovely Elise T and hubby Bob and also BigGlenn. Everyone was super! We have eaten at places and actually put Alaska on the Roadfood Map...and have had a ball. Dreamland has to be our Roadfood favorite. Best ribs we ever ate.

This forum is only as good as you want to make it. Folks come and go.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7892
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 09:44:53 (permalink)
quote:

Yep. The restaurant is in the Hollenbeck precinct in East L.A. "Homicidal Hollenbeck". Note to WJ: Don't go there after dark.

After your description of the area, I think I'm gonna be hesitant to go there during the day" /> Thanks for the rec though!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 10:17:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jim hilton

Didn't BB make a farewell post about a year ago, around the time Meowzart left?

That DOES sound familiar...
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 10:21:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

what-da-ya-have, what-da-ya-have, what-da-ya-have, ...I'll tell you what I wont have and that's a hot dog at the Varsity............the Varsity sucks! ........what the Varsity does have is history, tradition and big crowds before and after a football game.
If one wants good hot-dogs one travels up to New Jersey, New York or Connecticut.
I agree with Kev, a lot of old food places here have to be purged from these pages............
Linda and I travel the road a lot, Linda is retired and I'm semi retired. A typical road trip for us is at least 8,000 miles and 45 days long, the reason for our travel is regional road food....................We are not trail blazers we take only restaurant recommendations. We never leave home without it Roadfood.com, Michael & Jane's books and a few others like my old friend Steve Millburg from Coastal Living and his views on seafood dives. If you like seafood Google "Steve Millburg". About 9 years ago Steve put me on to Woodmen's in Essex where some of you folks will be heading very soon with Michael and Jane............ you're going to love Woodmens it's my all time East Coast Roadfood joint.
Our all time East Coast disappointment............. the Maine Diner........... after waiting about a half hour to be seated at a tiny table in the middle of the aisle, I had to send my "eggs over easy" back to the kitchen not once, not twice but three times before they had them right. Eggs "over easy" should not be to difficult for any diner to produce. The joint is too freeken crowded with no time for the customer. It's hurry up and eat so you can make room for the next tourist................ A diner in Maine we do like is Moody's
My biggest west coast roadfood disappointment is Philippe's in LA for any one of their French dip limp sandwiches. Philippe's is like the Varsity in Atlanta. It has good tradition but not good food.
My all time west coast favorite restaurant was again given to me by Steve Millburg ...Phil's Fish Market and Eatery at Moss Landing Calif. Al the Mayor you'll be driving right past it on your way to LA
I as BakersBoy, came to Roadfood.com in search of regional road food restaurants. I found a lot of wonderful places to eat while on the road here......... Roadfood.com is my most valued source along with Coastal Living and on the west coast where I live it's Sunset Magazine.
My main interest in reading this forum is roadfood............... and I will have to side with BakersBoy there is too much crap on these pages about meatloaf recipes and not enough about where to eat a great meatloaf. I'll also admit that I will be one of the first to join in on pooh poohing any one I don't agree with. Too many people writing about anything but roadfood. Hell we have a roadfood member who's only contribution was to see how fast she could enter a 1000 posts as if it were some kind of badge. Ninety percent of her posting contain less then six words and none relating to roadfood......... but she has over 1000 entries WOW............... now there I go being sarcastic again........
I guess the best way to look a Roadfood.com is to take what you want and leave the rest.
What we need here is a option like they have in chat rooms where you can click on a members name and IGNORE all their ranting's .........work on that Steve Jr.

I bet the next post will say something like "yeah Frank and you'll be the first one on my ignore list? ....... lol, so be it

Funny you should say all that. RF now has advertising links to Wendy's (yes, Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers) that show up now & then @ the bottom of any given forum page.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 11:22:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

After your description of the area, I think I'm gonna be hesitant to go there during the day" /> Thanks for the rec though!
I go there all the time during the day, just as I go into Compton, Watts, and Lennox for soul food and BBQ. The night time's a different story altogether. Were I you, I wouldn't hesitate to take a luncheon trip to the burrito place. I know my city my man.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 12:22:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Well I am staying unless my cardiologist finds out I am pursuing pork tenderloin sandwiches. Then I may have to find a forum that talks about asparagus arranged in a perfect pentagon around a 2 ounce serving of broiled salmon.

Sounds like a diet plate in California.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 23:31:58 (permalink)

I'll have 2 naked dogs, o rings and a large frosted O to go, I'm a GA Tech grad, and it's time for my 20 year lube job...

My main interest in reading this forum is roadfood............... and I will have to side with BakersBoy there is too much crap on these pages about meatloaf recipes and not enough about where to eat a great meatloaf.

Best meatloaf I ever tasted was at, no joke, Macon, GA's Central Georgia Medical Center Cafeteria. Roadfood? no, but if you're stuck there it is a nice surprise.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/30 23:43:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pcdiva

My main interest in reading this forum is roadfood............... and I will have to side with BakersBoy there is too much crap on these pages about meatloaf recipes and not enough about where to eat a great meatloaf.

Best meatloaf I ever tasted was at, no joke, Macon, GA's Central Georgia Medical Center Cafeteria. Roadfood? no, but if you're stuck there it is a nice surprise.

Once again I took a look and see you haven't posted much about where to eat where you live. What should I eat when I come to your neck of the woods?

Like any community, it is only as good as its members. Instead of lamenting about the fact there is "not enough about where to eat"...tell us where to eat where you are. Seems to me that is how this would work more to your liking.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 00:52:27 (permalink)
Hey "Baker Boy's Kevin"....... when you find a way to make everyone happy all at the same time. Walk across the next body of water you come to and run for President. You will get my vote.

The Nerve of that Guy!

See Ya......................!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 00:57:52 (permalink)
hey, if someone wants to talk about their favorite ketchup, and you don't like it, just keep clicking !! Change the channel!!

I love the fact that Roadfood HAS so many forums....
including the "off topic" one, so we can vent about anything!

and half the fun IS disagreeing (respectfully) with someone about a particular restaurant. Everyone has had their own experiences, and is certainly allowed to voice their own opinion....

I know that I try to turn fellow roadfooders on to sub shops in my Atlantic City area.............in case one needs some variety besides the White House..

Yes, there ARE actually some other good sub shops, too, like Vics Sub in Absecon and Egg Harbor Township, and Jeffs Steaks in Egg Harbor Township, (exit 36 off Garden st parkway)

And don't forget Dino's Pizza in Margate.......but it's their tuna sub that they're known for, so just order that; the other stuff (like the PIZZA!) is nothing special..

Baker Boy, I hope you come back to this site sometime, perhaps with a more open mind.........and just have fun with it (like I do!)

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 04:32:44 (permalink)
Me thinks that Bakerboy has said bye bye and hasnt even read these posts.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 16:20:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I agree with you, roosy.........however, perhaps we can still "save" other members out there !!

Ones who are conficted with thoughts of "should I stay or should I go?!?"
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 16:50:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:

I agree with you, roosy.........however, perhaps we can still "save" other members out there !!

IMHO, I think this is the best web site to discuss food, and other miscellaneous topics. I have not found one better!
I kinda like it here.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 17:08:33 (permalink)

That, in itself, is scarey !!
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 18:48:38 (permalink)
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 19:04:32 (permalink)
quote:

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3737
RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/05/01 19:06:07 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:

IMHO, I think this is the best web site to discuss food, and other miscellaneous topics. I have not found one better!
I kinda like it here.

LOL From the record number of posts that you have under your name, I would have to say "This IS your life, Rossy90!"
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1