Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
2006/04/28 12:00:58 (permalink)

Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu

I came to this website because I liked the premise. The thought of the Sterns criss-crossing the country for me (and others like me) and finding the hidden gems was very appealing. I learned about places that I had never eaten at before that perhaps I should try. After all I travel all over the country and enjoy trying something new. I have nothing against corporate food. I happen to think that Chili's, Perkin's, Ruth Chris's,and Smith and Wollenski's are all very good and serve a needed purpose. That is, serve their clients the best food that they can.

This should be the mantra of every restaurant in America. Serve the best food that you can. It is axiomatic. Sometimes restaurants go beyond the call of duty and give you a truly outstanding meal. Unfortunately, I have found this the exception rather than the rule when comparing the Roadfood reviews to personal experience. Let me cite a few examples and let me add that these are regional and will be brief.

1. Bobcat Bite: One of the worst Roadfood experiences we have had. We did not get what we ordered, the food was mediocre and the service passable. A big burger but why eat it?

2. I'm sorry but I forget the name. It is in Reno, NV and was in one of the early editions of Roadfood. The food, service and ambiance were well below average. A horrible meal in a horrible setting. I truly am sorry but I blocked out the name.

3. Maine Diner: I know, I know the food is good and the chowder is wonderful. What is not good is the lobster pie. What is also not good is the shrine that they have created in honor of Roadfood. "Build it and they will eat."

4. The Varsity: The biggest disappointment. The dogs were bad,(soggy and not just the buns), the service was worse. It may have been famous at one point but The Varsity has outlived its reputation.

I guess what most frustrates me is that we have become a forum full of hot dogs, hamburgers, barbeque, and chili and paeans to Roadfood. I am currently staying in Berkeley Springs, West Va. Within five miles there are a dozen restaurants and not one is listed in Roadfood. Nor talked about. Park and Dine was here but that is in Hancock, Md. In Berkeley Springs proper there are plently of great restaurants but none is mentioned.

This forum is no longer about where to find regional great food but what is the best ketchup and how you should spell it.

My wife and I can cook pretty much anything we want. We go to retaurants for the experience. To be wowed by something great. It doesn't matter whether it's at Waffle House or The Four Corners' Cafe. I just want a good meal.

Where do I eat in Glens Falls NY, in Brunswick, Ga.(Willies NOT the Ga Pig) where is the best pizza in Michigan? Who cares, get the Friday Fish Fry instead.

Where do Jane and Michael eat? Just read "Eat your Way Across the U.S.A." and you will find out.

Some adieu to Illchef, Sundancer, Signman, Al, Michael. I just got tired of it all.

Bakers Boy (Kevin

93 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 12:20:14 (permalink)
    I'm sorry you're leaving. I hope you'll reconsider somewhere down the pike. There's a lot of good stuff here, but sometimes you do have to dig for it, and I know that I can be a troublemaker at times.

Good luck.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 12:31:39 (permalink)
    Just remember no 2 tastes are alike. Site offers a good starting point though. And ya, some of the reviews may be outdated, but who can hit the same thousand or so places again within a year. This is where the most recent visitor posts their review as sort of a follow up. And there have been several negative ones on recent reviews. Either way, good luck on your future food ventures! And thanks for your valuable posts.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 12:31:53 (permalink)
    Bakers Boy, sorry to see you go. I know exactly what you mean and you definetely hit the nail right on the head.

I'm looking forward to my baseball trip in four weeks. The last thing I indend to seek is Hot Dogs, Burgers and BBQ in Los Angeles- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

It's gonna be Sushi, Cobb Salad, French Dips, Veggie Wraps and Loaded Burritos- That's "LA Road Food!!"
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 12:38:52 (permalink)
    Crap! Where did I leave my violin. I can't see through all of the tears.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 12:39:48 (permalink)
    Go w/ the flow...the tide will come in again. Soon foie gras and filet will be the main topics. Then chittlings and mountain oysters...then???????
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 12:46:20 (permalink)
    Kevin: Sorry to read of the disappointing experience you had on this site. It just doesn't meet with your needs or expectations. I have also had some dissappointments along the way. For example, I thought the Village Inn in Middlebury, IN was awful.

The number of winners has far out weighed the losers for me. I have gotten great tips on where to eat that I would never have found on my own. I have also recently met some contributors, that is, in person. Tomorrow, I will be on the Cheesehead in Beertown Tour.

Too bad you are leaving so soon. I would have loved to hear about those restaurants to which you allude. Perhaps you could mention the good ones that are missing here. Or, even write up reviews yourself.

Happy trails.

Phil.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 13:08:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew
    The last thing I indend to seek is Hot Dogs, Burgers and BBQ in Los Angeles- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

It's gonna be Sushi, Cobb Salad, French Dips, Veggie Wraps and Loaded Burritos- That's "LA Road Food!!"
    You're joking, right?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 13:42:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
    The last thing I indend to seek is Hot Dogs, Burgers and BBQ in Los Angeles- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

You're joking, right?

Absolutely not. That's what regional roadfood is all about. You'll see for yourself when I do my trip report upon my return.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 14:32:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Absolutely not. That's what regional roadfood is all about. You'll see for yourself when I do my trip report upon my return.

I can't wait for your review. Those are definitely among the things I think of as typical LA foods, and in my mind that makes them very roadfood-ish.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 15:22:07 (permalink)
    Get some pics of them burritos! Ones BT posts are beyond anything around here...
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 16:42:42 (permalink)
    I dont expect that every place recommended here on Roadfood, or in the Stern's books, is going to be to my taste, but we have seldom been disappointed. The winners have far outnumbered the losers.

As to regional Roadfood, I agree with WJ, one does not visit Maine to eat hamburger and hotdogs - the wise traveler eats what's good in local food- we can always get a good hamburger, hot dog, or pizza when we are at home, but, that said, it is good to know where a good hamburger can be found in someplace new that you might be spending a month or so visiting.

I'm always sorry to see anyone leave Roadfood, but it seems that some come, some go, and some come back...

Cheers, John

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 17:25:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BakersBoy

I guess what most frustrates me is that we have become a forum full of hot dogs, hamburgers, barbeque, and chili and paeans to Roadfood. I am currently staying in Berkeley Springs, West Va. Within five miles there are a dozen restaurants and not one is listed in Roadfood. Nor talked about. Park and Dine was here but that is in Hancock, Md. In Berkeley Springs proper there are plently of great restaurants but none is mentioned.

This forum is no longer about where to find regional great food but what is the best ketchup and how you should spell it.

My wife and I can cook pretty much anything we want. We go to retaurants for the experience. To be wowed by something great. It doesn't matter whether it's at Waffle House or The Four Corners' Cafe. I just want a good meal.

Where do I eat in Glens Falls NY, in Brunswick, Ga.(Willies NOT the Ga Pig) where is the best pizza in Michigan? Who cares, get the Friday Fish Fry instead.

Where do Jane and Michael eat? Just read "Eat your Way Across the U.S.A." and you will find out.

Some adieu to Illchef, Sundancer, Signman, Al, Michael. I just got tired of it all.

Bakers Boy (Kevin

I checked and didn't find one review in the restaurant section for Berkeley Springs, nor did I see any where in the forums where you offered us all an education on the places you found there. You know of the good places in your area, but haven't taken the time to get a few pictures and write a short review so others can find them, or at least list them in the forum, and then take issue with others. Funny.

We could all benefit from people writing about their local places, instead many do nothing but crab about others not doing it for them.

No one person can find and report on every single place...it takes the work of many. Instead of wasting time complaining, go write a review so when I head to Berkeley Springs I can have the benefit of your experiences.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 17:27:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Parses6

goodby and don't let the door hit... oh never mind

hit you where the good Lord split you? Was that where you were going?

wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 18:43:04 (permalink)
    ALL the topics/threads/whatever in ALL the Roadfood Forums are created by none other than ourselves, the folks who post stuff here. If you run across a place you don't like, don't be basahful, tell the rest of us. Of course the same applies to finding a place (or type of food) you like, tell all of us about it.

Don't be a quitter.

Wally
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 19:21:52 (permalink)
    Bakersboy,
    Hey man, I'd like to hear about those Berkeley Springs area restaurants. I always stop at the Park and Dine,especially for their Crab Imperial when I'm by there in the evening.
    Ya know, I've left this forum before for a couple reasons. . . often I had a problem with the snobery displayed by some posters and like you, some of the recommendations were really . . . well, I did not experience what was described here.
    I came back because it is a good source for not just places to eat, but to learn what regional food is all about. I travel around a bit and like to know what to expect where. Expectations very often lead to disappointment.
    There are some really fascinating and informed folks who post here. You can learn from them if you want.
    I still get disgusted by the food snobery and arrogance around here, but it aint my problem so I go on.
    Hope you stick around and report on those Berkeley Springs places!
    WVHillbilly
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 19:45:56 (permalink)
    Oh Well... Another One Bites The Dust. Too Bad.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 20:04:09 (permalink)
    Son, I've got three rabits chasing each other about in my front yard. I'll be... never mind.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 20:22:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Son, I've got three rabits chasing each other about in my front yard. I'll be... never mind.

Whatever you do, keep the chickens AWAY from the pigs!!!

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 20:31:46 (permalink)
    Heck, keep them pigs away from the chickens!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 21:24:25 (permalink)
    I'm always sad to see folks go. These forums have been wonderful at helping me find places to eat when I travel and I have enjoyed the roadfooders I have have the fortune to meet.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/28 22:41:02 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

You're joking, right?

Ok then, if loaded burritos are what you want, then El Tepeyac
    on N. Evergreen Ave is where you want to go. I suggest the Hollenbeck
    burrito. 25 extra points if you know what Hollenbeck is.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 01:59:03 (permalink)
    I for 1 have posted at least 1 thread on where NOT to eat in Berkeley Springs, a hot dog joint whose name slips my mind as I'll never eat there again.

I too think that BB should have posted reviews on those 4 places in B.S. that he mentions as my oldest now lives about 10 miles from there and I get up that way often.

MikeS.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 02:04:38 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    BakersBoy, no need to go, just take a break. Keep Roadfood book-marked.
    As John Denver sang, "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones..."
    Many of my postings are mediocre, but I always try to give the best I've got.
    And I assume that others are doing the same. And when I get tired of this site,
    I rest. So Bakersboy, take a break, but don't leave. There is only one Bakersboy,
    and you would be missed.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 04:50:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BakersBoy

2. I'm sorry but I forget the name. It is in Reno, NV and was in one of the early editions of Roadfood. The food, service and ambiance were well below average. A horrible meal in a horrible setting. I truly am sorry but I blocked out the name.

Let me get this straight. You're grousing and, in part, leaving because a restaurant that the Sterns wrote about 20 to 25 years ago turned out to be horrible? Geezo peezo man.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 08:21:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    25 extra points if you know what Hollenbeck is.

Isn't that a Gwen Stefani song?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 08:23:52 (permalink)
    Not in this case.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 09:03:27 (permalink)
    Kevin, I gotta agree with you on the Maine dinner. The overall food there is fair to good and overpriced. I have stopped there on numerous occasions due to the fact that someone I am with at the time wanted to try it. There is a place directly across the street that I enyoy can't think of the name of it though. And Flo's hot dogs down the street, for the life of me I can't figure out the attraction there. Hang in there nothing to gain by quitting. Chow Jim
    DoctorDan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 09:25:42 (permalink)
    Kevin,
    The Varsity ( 4 in metro Atlanta and 1 in Athens) has been pleasing the palate of Atlantans for more than fifty years. I grew up less than a mile from the Varsity on North Ave in Atlanta and I've never ever had a bad meal there.
    Two chili dogs,onion rings and a frosted orange makes a delightful (if greasy) luch or dinner.
    Sorry that you were disappointed, but I think you are in the minority on your opinion of the Varsity

Docton Dan
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Goodbye, Farewell, Adieu 2006/04/29 10:15:17 (permalink)
    NOPE. He is NOT.

"Sorry that you were disappointed, but I think you are in the minority on your opinion of the Varsity."
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1