Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood

Author
tsierer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/06/28 18:32:10 (permalink)

Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood

I have an iPad and I would really like to be able to open Google Earth and have it populated automatically with all the flags from roadfood. I just purchased the Insider so I can do this, but it doesn't SEEM possible... Is it possible and I am just not understanding the directions for downloading the Google Earth features onto my iPad?

Please help.

5 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood 2010/06/28 20:34:20 (permalink)
    I haven't tested it out on the Ipad. Can you get it to work in Windows or the Mac?  All you need to do is load the .kmz file in Google Earth for it to work.
    tsierer
    Junior Burger
    Re:Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood 2010/06/29 10:29:30 (permalink)
    Yes, I have used it on my work PC and my home Mac. As for the iPad, you can't "load" anything onto it, so I'm not sure how I would load the .kmz file into Google Earth...

Does anyone else have any experience getting this feature to work on an iPad? It sure would be cool if you did. Let me know.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood 2010/06/29 11:03:37 (permalink)
    I got this working using the following:

1. Download the .kmz file.
    2. Go to Google Maps, and if you haven't yet, create a "My Maps" personal maps listing.
    3. Create a new "My Map"
    4. When creating the map, select "Import" and upload that KMZ file.  (Important: Mark the map as Unlisted instead of Public, since I'm rather sure the Roadfood.com people don't want that paid-access data listed out for the general public)
    5. On the iPad, go into layers and select "My Maps" and select the RoadFood map you just created.

That should work, although the data is online and not offline (if you don't have Wifi or 3G access on your iPad, you won't be able to view that layer).

(If the RoadFood powers object to this, I'll pull my Unlisted map as well)
    post edited by MikeS. - 2010/07/19 19:22:57
    tsierer
    Junior Burger
    Re:Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood 2010/06/29 11:51:33 (permalink)
    Okay, I sorta got it to work... I'm not sure you can view this on the road unless you have the version with constant internet access. Even then, its not without flaws. Here's how I did it:

1. Load the .kmz file on your website.
    2. From my PC, log into your Google account and click on Maps.
    3. Enter the URL for the .kmz file in Google Maps and click Search Maps.
    4. Save it to My Maps and you can see all the RoadFood flags now.
    5. From the iPad, open the Google Earth app.
    6. After it adjusts to your location, touch the Layers button.
    7. Select My Maps and then My Maps Account.
    8. Log into your Google account on your iPad.
    9. Select My Account and then select View Data Stored with this Account (under Dashboard).
    10. Under the uppermost, top menu, select More and then select Maps from the drop-down menu.
    11. Select My Maps and then you should see the .kmz file listed underneath.
    12. Select the .kmz file and the RoadFood markers should appear on a globe inside the sub-window. You can hide the left pane in order to see more of the map.

I tried viewing the map a couple of times, but I think it might be too much for the current version of the Google Earth iPad app. The reason I say this is because I can get all the way to the point of SEEING the markers for RoadFood stops, but when I try to click on one, the app shuts down and I have to start the process all over again from Steps 5-12. You could try restarting the iPad and try it again. Sometimes that refreshes the apps or something...

Guess we'll have to wait for the app to be a bit more robust before this can work really well... But, at least now we know how to view it on the iPad!
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 896
    Re:Google Earth, the iPad and Roadfood 2011/03/31 14:50:25 (permalink)
    I stumbled on this thread and wanted to provide an answer for future searchers: the GlobalScout app has worked for me for showing all the markers at once. I've written more about GlobalScout at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=641917

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1