Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe?

Author
ROHfan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
2013/12/24 13:09:27 (permalink)

Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe?

Actually, the stuffer comes after Christmas so I intend to spend a day making sausage during the holiday break.

I'm looking for a good, tried-and-true Italian sausage recipe--the kind with fennel. I plan to split the recipe in two and add chopped onions and peppers for half the batch of sausage. I'd also welcome any tips or suggestions as this is my first time doing this.

Happy Holidays!

-B

16 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2715
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/24 13:39:31 (permalink)
    You can try Nonnie's recipe that my friend Fat Sal posted years ago.  Let me know how it turns out.

Jim
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2454
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/24 18:51:37 (permalink)

ROHfan. I use 2/3 pork 1/3 beef with a 70-30 meat to fat ratio. I freeze all the parts to the grinder. I also make sure the meat is real cold along with the bowl I using. mix your spices into the into the chunk meat before its put through the grinder. If the meat feels to cold or frozen, then mix it into the meat mixture after the first ground. Most all recipes for Italian sausage are about the same. I like seeing Fennel, hot peppers flakes, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. I always find a recipe and make it to my own taste. I like some heat, BUT, I don't like as much as some HOT ITALIAN sausage have in it. I want the spices mixing with the fats to give a great taste to the sausage. IMHO, think about what you like to taste in the sausage and we well go from there..................What kind of stuffer do you have ???? you will also need hog casings.........take care...........Bill

post edited by pnwchef - 2013/12/24 19:52:35
    ROHfan
    Hamburger
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/24 19:41:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipe, Jim.

Bill--I got the #12 Kitchener that Northern Tools sells. Don't want beef in the Italian sausage but the rest of your advice seems pretty sage. I will start up a new thread when I make my first batch.
    pnwchef
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/24 19:51:50 (permalink)
    ROHfan

Thanks for the recipe, Jim.

Bill--I got the #12 Kitchener that Northern Tools sells. Don't want beef in the Italian sausage but the rest of your advice seems pretty sage. I will start up a new thread when I make my first batch.

I need to correct the amount, it's 2/3 pork to 1/3 beef ............anyway in your case it 100% pork.........If you make your first batch with 5lbs of pork, 4-1 will give you 20 sausage. If I'm not sure about the recipe I do 3 lbs. Make a test patty and fry it up...........good luck, PM me i you have any questions..............take care and have a great holiday..............Bill
    pnwchef
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/24 20:09:53 (permalink)
    The meat grinder/sausage stuffer looks good. I just bough a sausage stuffer from Northern tool...........
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/25 02:11:57 (permalink)
    Resist the urge to add extra salt to the recipe.  It may taste good when first mixed and in the test patties, but after a little time 'extra' salt will give the sausage an 'old' flavor.   Most recipes seem to agree "1 teaspoon" per lb of meat is the correct amount.    I learned the hard way.   After making great sausage for a while, I then start getting sausage that tasted old and off.    I couldn't figure out what was wrong. After a year or so, I learned it was the salt. I was adding more than double the normal amount.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/25 02:37:19 (permalink)
    OH ... just remember the seasonings will get stronger over time while frozen.  If you add seasonings to the flavor profile you like, then the sausage should be used within a few weeks and not kept frozen for a long period. 
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/25 11:47:46 (permalink)
    http://www.gumbopages.com/food/chaurice.html
    this is one of my favorites, but I cant find a sausage maker here, so I make my own
    Some worth trying after you've made your italian sausage   Merry Christmas

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/25 11:54:19 (permalink)
    ROHfan

Actually, the stuffer comes after Christmas so I intend to spend a day making sausage during the holiday break.

I'm looking for a good, tried-and-true Italian sausage recipe--the kind with fennel. I plan to split the recipe in two and add chopped onions and peppers for half the batch of sausage. I'd also welcome any tips or suggestions as this is my first time doing this.

Happy Holidays!

-B

Awesome! A couple of places that got me started in the world of sausage (and now cheese!) making:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/
    http://www.sausagemaking.org/
    ROHfan
    Hamburger
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/26 10:38:19 (permalink)
    Cool, lots of great suggestions! Thanks for all the help. I like the idea of adding seasonings to the cubed meat before grinding.

I think I mistyped before. I meant to say I have the #12 Kitchener grinder now and I have the Kitchener 5 lb vertical stuffer coming from Amazon. Should get it in a few days.
    manofschwa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/26 11:36:54 (permalink)
    pnwchef offered some excellent advice when suggesting that you mix the chunked meat with the spices before grinding. I usually allow that mixture to set & meld overnight prior to grinding.

Neverthess, another decent Italian fennel sausage recipe can be found at thespicysausage.com/recipes/italianfennelsausage/htm
    post edited by manofschwa - 2013/12/26 11:42:47
    pnwchef
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/26 12:34:24 (permalink)
    ROHfan

Cool, lots of great suggestions! Thanks for all the help. I like the idea of adding seasonings to the cubed meat before grinding.

I think I mistyped before. I meant to say I have the #12 Kitchener grinder now and I have the Kitchener 5 lb vertical stuffer coming from Amazon. Should get it in a few days.

I bought the 5lb stuffer from Northern tool, I think it was $85, what is it from Amazon ???

The last time we made Italian sausage, I had a old friend butcher come of and give us some help. It's always nice to pick the brain of a guy who has made millions of pounds of sausage. We made 25lbs of sausage, he asked me to make sure the meat was at room temp so he could really mix the spices into the chunk meat. like manofschwa said, it may be a good idea to mix and room temp, chill, then grind when the mixture is cold. I find it easier to get a nice grind when everything is cold. We made the italian recipe using his spice recipe for a mild sausage. I asked him, when making hot sausage how much dry chili pepper flakes he used. After he answered, I added half the amount so I could get some heat, but not as much as a hot sausage will give. When I was working with him, I told him, it's not easy having a Chef and Butcher work together. One is a A--hole, the other a know it all. After we were through, he said, I think I know who the a--hole is...........see if I invite him back!!!.........
    ROHfan
    Hamburger
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/26 14:01:08 (permalink)
    Yes, from Amazon.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2013/12/30 01:06:17 (permalink)
    I owned a Smoked Meat Company, "Pitts Homemade Country Smoked Meats"
    "If It's The Pitts, It's The Best"
    Hams, Bacon & Sausage.
    Pnwchef's suggestion of having your meat & equipment cold before grinding is a good one.
    Warm meat does not grind well.
    Also, as suggested, season & mix the meat BEFORE grinding.
    Rinse casings well and keep them moist while stuffing.
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2014/02/04 21:09:24 (permalink)
    Contrary to some posts here, I grind the meat and keep it chilled before adding any liquid or seasoning. I then add the liquid with salt & spices & mix well just prior to stuffing. Done it the other way....won't go back. I'm also a proponent of poaching the newly stuffed links and then cut into individual links and freeze on a cookie sheet before storage in freezer bags. Place frozen on the grill and slowly heat through until they brown and start to squirt.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:Got a grinder and a stuffer for Christmas. Anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? 2014/02/28 14:00:53 (permalink)
    ROHfan - Don't know if this will help - as it's not tried and true, I copied it from the New Midwestern Cookbook thinking the ingredients looked good, and seemed like a straight forward recipe.  I do think it could use a little more cayenne. 

Homemade Italian Sausage
    1 lb. ground pork
    11/2 tsp fennel seeds
    11/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 TBS minced fresh sage
    2 tsp. sweet paprika
    11/4 tsp fine sea salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Put the pork in a bowl.  Crush the fennel seeds in a mortal and pestle, or in a spice-devoted coffee grinder until finely groumnd.  Add the fennel to the ground pork along with the pepper, sage, paprika, salt, cayenne.  Gently mix together using your hands.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1