Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches

Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2006/06/24 16:19:18 (permalink)

Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches

While perusing todays WSJ (Wall Street Journal)---would you believe i found a recipe for a great roadfood dish----the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. What was I doing with the WSJ you ask??????? Just happened to pick it up in the dentist's office.

If it's good enough for people who read the WSJ it's good enough for us folks on Roadfood. In fact, we might be better than they but they don't know it.

Slice a tomato, or two, into 1/4 inch slices and drizzle with olive oil and add a little salt. .

Buy a loaf of Sourdough bread and if not available a loaf of fat French or Eye-trallion bread. Crusty stuff. Do this before you slice up the tomato. Slice and brush melted butter on one side of bread. Now here is the tricky part---lay 1/2 of the bread with the buttered side down and cover the raw side with Gruyere Cheese cut into 1/16 inch slices. If it is not exactly 1/16th go back to start ---do not pass go and do not collect $200.

Cover the cheese with another slice of bread---buttered side up.
I said up, have ya' got that mate ?

Now heat up(or have heated up) a cast iron frying pan or a griddle and add a tablespoon of butter-----swirl around and when hot add the sandwiches. (I have not forgotten the tomatoes, they come later.) When your bottom is brown (about 2/3 minutes) flip them over and add more butter if you are a butter addict like me. Press the sam-itches down with a spatula and cook for another 2/3 minutes till all is brown. And.....................

As the man said as he was half way to the sidewalk after jumping off the Empire State Building "SO Far So Good".

This is the delicate part-------carefully (repeat) carefully remove the tops of the sam-itchs (the cheese will be facing up) and add the tomatoes. Then Eat. Mange. Mange !!!!!!! Please pass the beer ol' buddy............................

11 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/24 16:27:34 (permalink)
    This sounds great..............I aways put my tomato on after the sandwich is grilled; otherwise the tomato get tongue burning hot!
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/24 20:02:24 (permalink)
    Just about all I use my little GForman grill for is sandwichs, grilled cheese with or w/o tomato. onion ham, etc. American, swiss or cheddar, white bread, whole wheat, rye or pumpernicol(sp) and of course I butter the bread. I usually set everything up and build the sandwich quickly on the grill.

Has anyone used mayonaise instead of butter? I ask because recently my daughters boyfriend was making grilled cheese and the whole house filled with smoke. When I asked he said he used mayo instead of butter, it's how his mom makes them. They are originally from N.W. Pa. if that makes a difference but Ive never heard of doing it before.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/24 20:46:28 (permalink)
    WSJ at the dentists office... Hope his stocks where doing good that day... Reminds me of the time I was sitting at my dogs Vet's office. Seen the invoice for a 300K boat he financed that day.. Needless to say, someone had to pay for it.. And yes, I did get nervous...

tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/24 21:02:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Just about all I use my little GForman grill for is sandwichs, grilled cheese with or w/o tomato. onion ham, etc. American, swiss or cheddar, white bread, whole wheat, rye or pumpernicol(sp) and of course I butter the bread. I usually set everything up and build the sandwich quickly on the grill.

Has anyone used mayonaise instead of butter? I ask because recently my daughters boyfriend was making grilled cheese and the whole house filled with smoke. When I asked he said he used mayo instead of butter, it's how his mom makes them. They are originally from N.W. Pa. if that makes a difference but Ive never heard of doing it before.

I just saw a video of Paula Deen's on the Foodnetwork website about just that thing, making grilled cheese and substituting mayo for butter. You would spread it on the outside of each slice of bread. They looked pretty good...didn't see any smoke, though. Maybe the boyfriend just had the heat up too high?
    ernest_fl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/25 21:07:26 (permalink)
    I love grilled cheese & tomato, and sometimes I add crisp bacon slices after the fact – but I can't do that much anymore because I must curtail my fat intake! I like to use the extra sharp cheddar, and the vine-ripened garden tomato, NOT the hothouse variety because they just don't have the taste. The best is the 'mater if you can get 'em! :)
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/27 14:09:29 (permalink)
    I'm a traditionalist. It's nothing but butter, white bread, and two slices of real American cheese in my grilled cheese!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3966
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/06/27 15:25:13 (permalink)
    I think it was originally called a Chicago style grilled cheese---at least that's what I remember someone at a diner telling me. Grilled cheese with a slice of tomato and a slice of onion cooked inside. Still my favorite way to make the sandwich. I am going to try the gruyere cheese though----sounds like a delightful change.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/07/02 15:03:46 (permalink)
    I just like 'em with good old cheddar on wheat bread toasted in the broiler and perhaps sprinkled with some garlic salt and eaten with and dunked in tomato soup. It's a comfort food for me

Andrea
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/07/02 15:49:27 (permalink)
    I microwave mine.
    Toast the bread
    Butter the outside of the toasted bread slices.
    Place 2 or 3 slices of your favorite, overlapping them.
    Place on plate, about 15 seconds or until you see the cheese start bubbling out over side.
    Remove, let cool for a few seconds and enjoy.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/07/03 13:02:54 (permalink)
    Basic:
    Farmhouse thick sliced white bread or Hawaiian sweet bread
    2 slices of sharp cheddar and 2 slices of big eye Swiss - alternated

Add ons:
    Rondele garlic herb cheese spread
    bacon
    maple syrup baked ham

and by the way, the double decker grilled cheese on the front cover of Roadfood looks delicious!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sam-itches 2006/07/03 16:38:23 (permalink)
    My ultimate:

Sweet or sourdough french slices, Buttered on one side
    Extra sharp cheddar slices, 2 per sand, 1/4" ea
    Sliced rounds of sweet onion, usually Walla Walla, 1 per
    Crisp bacon slices, 4 per

Grill over medium heat until onion is done enough to release sugars and be a bit soft. Finish on high heat for a dark brown crispy finish to the bread.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1