Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/06/29 23:52:11 (permalink)
That's the way I've always done it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/06/30 01:34:40 (permalink)
The Ultimate Swiss Alpine Yodler's Grilled Cheese;
First, melt a copious quantity of butter in a flat bottom cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add one slice of Seeded Jewish Rye. Swoosh it around to get a nice even coat of butter on the bread. Spread leftover Cheese Fondue from the night before on the bread. Fondue includes, Swiss & Gruyere Cheeses. Top with other slice of bread. put a lid on the skillet to steam-melt cheese. When first side is toasted, remove from pan and add more butter, let it melt and flip sandwich to toast other side. YO-DEL-LADY-WHO! FABULOUS!
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/07 15:26:05 (permalink)
Always had grilled cheese with tomato soup to dip in on Sunday night watching Wide World of Disney and Wild Kingdom ("Here's Jim running for his very life."). Maybe even a little Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau. But perhaps I only date myself. That's when we only had four channels and remote control was spelled with four letters: k-i-d-s.
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/07 18:46:54 (permalink)
To me, the best grilled cheese sandwich is the simplest...grilled white bread and American cheese with Campbell's tomato soup. It's not the best tasting but it brings back memories of my little brother (16 years younger than me) inviting me to his 3rd grade class to eat in the school cafeteria. He was so proud to be eating grilled cheese sandwiches with his friends and oldest brother.

Wintem01, do you remember we actually watched an entire program without once turning the channel?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/07 19:21:34 (permalink)
blizzardstormus

To me, the best grilled cheese sandwich is the simplest...grilled white bread and American cheese with Campbell's tomato soup. It's not the best tasting but it brings back memories of my little brother (16 years younger than me) inviting me to his 3rd grade class to eat in the school cafeteria. He was so proud to be eating grilled cheese sandwiches with his friends and oldest brother.

Wintem01, do you remember we actually watched an entire program without once turning the channel?

School Cafeteria Cheese was the best tasting cheese. It was Government Surplus Cheese made by the dairy industry to keep the supply & demand from ruining prices and they put extra milk fat into it. Just like paying farmers not to grow crops!
carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/07 20:31:08 (permalink)
While I have had fun making up *new* recipes using Hatch chiles including the Hatch Chile/Jalapeno Cheese bread variation that I posted here, I agree that the nostalgic offering posted by W1 & Blizz is my favored version. I make it with wheat bread, though. My grandparents always had Roman Meal Bread (Is it even around anymore?) so I plead previous exposure to such new-fangled *healthier* bread options because they aren't new-fangled to me. Wheat bread would have been part of "the usual suspects" for me since the mid-50's-early 60's. And always with the all important tomato soup! I don't know when Campbell's added "Tomato Bisque" soup to their line, but it's been my tomato soup of choice since its inception. Does this combo qualify as "gourmet"? I don't think so... & Yes, I'll *date* myself on "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of COLOR"! I can see the peacock's spreading tail feathers pulsating with technicolor vividness right now!   
carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/07 21:51:56 (permalink)
Oh, AND:
(Because there's ALWAYS an Oh, AND from me...)
OLady, I too am in the dark about the soup dipping craze. But then, I am one of those anti-food-touching-each-other-except-where-ethnically-demanded people... 
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/08 08:57:34 (permalink)
Off Lady --- beats me----but they have to think of something new every day. 
Wailuku, Hi never heard of it either huh------well you guys are a little behind us
sohang in there it's on it's way.
freeroses
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/08 11:12:10 (permalink)
In Borough Market London @ the Kappacasein booth: toasted cheese sandwiches, made with Montgomery cheddar, onions, leeks and garlic on Poilâne sourdough.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/08 11:53:19 (permalink)
Freeroses has the basis to an excellent grilled cheese - it's the sourdough bread - makes all the difference in the World. Even that stuff my wife loves - American so-called cheese or Velveeta - is brought into the edible realm on sourdough.

Cheers, John 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/08 18:28:00 (permalink)
blizzardstormus

I agree.  White bread with a little butter with cheddar cheese toasted on both sides untill brown.  I even do that for breakfast occasionally.

Also great in the evening with your favorite libation.

Lunch is great with your favorite tomato soup.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/08 20:56:55 (permalink)
Tomato soup and grilled cheese were made for each other - thanks for the reminder , Sundancer.

Cheers, John 
marence
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/09 11:19:21 (permalink)
offlady

Since when did people start to "dip" their grilled cheeses?

My husband and I went to a diner on one of our first dates. I was shocked when he ordered a side dish of brown gravy to dip his grilled cheese in!
I'm used to it now.
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Gourmet grilled cheese sandwich 2010/07/10 04:10:28 (permalink)
  O.K., try this. Take a RIPE tomato and coat it generously with grated Parmesan cheese. Put it into a HOT , well oiled cast iron skillet or flat top grill. Cook it on each side until golden brown and hot. Let rest for a minute as it will be extremely hot!! This is my version of a gluten free grilled cheese sandwich. The saltiness of the cheese offsets the sweetness and acidity of the tomato. Viola' Grilled cheese and tomato soup in one.

David O.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1