Grandmaster hot dog cart

Author
biker jim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 403
2013/04/06 12:54:34 (permalink)

Grandmaster hot dog cart

Good Morning,
I am in the process of getting another cart.  Being kind of disappointed in my last purchase of a Victor Cart I am looking at the GrandMaster cart.  Seen here:
http://www.hotdogcartcomp...dog-cart-grand-master/
Has anyone purchased one of these or had any dealings with Concession-Carts before?  They are out of Michigan.
I would love any feedback on these guys.
Thanks muchly,
Jim

16 Replies Related Threads

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 14:01:51 (permalink)
    Victor in AZ?
    you dont like his carts?
    what dont you like about them?

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 14:09:13 (permalink)
    Jim,
    Reminds me of our old Quality Street Cart on steriods with a larger char grill. Wonder what type of burners are used for the steamers(size, shape, btu's). None of my grads have ever purchased one, so I have no feedback or reviews.
    Stay in touch.
    Mark

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 16:39:40 (permalink)
    I'd be concerned about that steel canopy while driving down the highway. Looks like the wind could get under there, lift it up, and send it to Kansas!" />" />" />" />
    biker jim
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 16:55:11 (permalink)
    Hey Mark, kind of does doesn't it?  I need to do a bit more research but I'm liking the look and function of the thing.  You are correct Foodbme.  I would be concerned as well.  I may just do some sort of removable umbrella set up rather than the canopy.
    As for Victor, several years ago he built me a custom cart.  His design wasn't workable (even though it cost me an extra $1500 or so for him to try.  He told me he would make good on the repairs to fix that issue, and after I fixed it and sent him the $800 bill for it, he would not honor his word or pay me back for the repair.  I also ended up having to fix or replace the water system, the electric pump system, the regulator, the anemic burners...truthfully I learned way more about fixing carts than I wanted too, or should have after I spent $10K plus on the thing.  It was his lack of cooperation on repairs that really soured any relationship I would have with him.  A warranty is great except when there is no way to get it fixed.  I personally will never recommend Victor's carts.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 19:28:07 (permalink)
    Jim,
     I bought a Concession Cart that Sebastian manufactures from a man in Greely last August. He bought it for fun I think and found out it was work and stored it in a huge warehouse that he now rents to Excel. This guy has a nice income from different businesses he owns in Greeley.

1, He said he redid the electric because it was running through raw metal drilled holes no bushing or whatever for the wire to run through. 
    2. He replaced the Grey water tank.
    3. He added a front detachable wheel.
    4. It has black marks on the doors on the top storage area where the water tank is that came from the factory that way and cannot be removed.
    5. I had to have the copper tubing fixed because of leaking. The plumber, a friend said it was not built with the 1200 degree solder like he was going to use and that's why it melted.
    5. My burner knob (flame adjuster) spins around no stop. My plumber friend is going to fix that soon
    5. I called Sebastian before I bought the cart last August because I didn't want a wooden floor, because it was the cart tha Ben writes about in his book (I'm sure of that, and this is my opinion) that the propane tanks fell out. I guess the wood rottened. Sebastian assured me that there was no wood on the cart. It was dark when I looked late in the day, and it was painted to where in that lighting the floor looked like stainless steel. After I got home a few days later, I had to look underneath putting the license plate on and saw that it was a particleboard floor. Sebastian mislead me.
    6. The panel on the back end where the condiments go has never been finished properly by any angle metal with rivets. where the two corners meet and move, you or your customers can tear your clothes on it. I have to get to that repair too.

Jim, keep in mind that this man I bought it from in Greely used it twice. I mean it was like right out of the crate in a dry climate in this man's warehouse when I purchased it. It is the pantagonia model I think. After I get the burner knob  fixed, I think it will be an OK cart.

I don't think there are any tow carts out there worth $10,000. It's all stainless steel 18 gauge I think and put together for the most part with rivets. I paid $2500 for mine just like new. I don't think I'd pay $10,000 for any of them.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/food-vendors/concession-carts-com/concession-carts-company-hot-d-ebced.htm

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 19:30:31 (permalink)
    the grandmaster looks nice. the canopy should lower for transport. if it diont it's not built right. when you pull your cart you want it aerodynamic. I like bens carts myself.

Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 21:48:49 (permalink)
    It looks like the canopy isnt adjustable. That cart looks well built and heavy, it wont fly away, I bet it tracks like a dream. If it was adjustable, it would take 2 strong people to do it. I would have a custom cover made for it at a canvas shop for highway travel.

Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 22:17:11 (permalink)
    Why don't they polish the steel?
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 22:45:34 (permalink)
    maybe on normal roads. take it over 45 and you might see it pass you in the next lane.

biker jim
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/06 23:51:04 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.  It doesn't take too many negative reviews to sour a deal...and there were plenty here for me to look elsewhere.  I appreciate the heads up.
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/07 00:08:38 (permalink)
    yeah, you want to be amazed?
    go to the web and search hot dog cart complaints.
    you will quickly notice which companys pop up the most.

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/07 00:26:34 (permalink)
    bikerjim....I'm not trying to be unhelpful in my post but have you considered building your own?  For that type of style you could build one that size for probably a 1/4 of the cost....just a thought.  I'm always curious why some folks don't look at this option...it's fairly easy. 
    biker jim
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/07 11:40:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Dawg!  Oh man, my Harley mechanic once told me that the throttle cables on the Mikuni carb I installed, weren't meant to keep the carburater from dragging behind the bike after it fell off, and that I might want to do them all a favor and throw away my tool kit.  I'm not saying I can't rivet anything, but I'm pretty sure building a cart is outside my realm of expertise.  

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/07 12:12:10 (permalink)
    I'd try to talk that Harley mechanic into building a shiny " Hog Dog" cart .during the slow season for motorcycling.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2365
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/08 12:47:47 (permalink)
    Jim, great advice from your Harley Mechanic, I never travel on anything I work on at 90 MPH..............Anyway, I hope all is well in Co and the B&M business is successful.........The Grandmaster is showing a price of just under 9K and only offers sinks, broiler and two steamtables. My question would be, how much is the dam broiler. To me the most important part of that cart for you is the Charbroiler, you want a good hot broiler to char the sausage. Are you looking for Radiant heat ?? or cooking over Lave rocks. imho, I would ask if the broiler would meet you needs or is there a better Charbroiler out there that will. The steam tables are fine, if you only need two, it looks like you can get a smaller Charbroiler and make room if three steam tables outlets are needed. ....................Take care...................Bill
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/04/08 12:58:39
    biker jim
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Grandmaster hot dog cart 2013/04/08 21:35:58 (permalink)
    Thanks pnwchef...Yup.  The charbroiler here is a $399 Baker and Chefs unit you can get from Sam's Club.  Good point.  The 60" grill is way oversized for me...but I could perhaps use another steam well.  I hope life is good in the great Northwest!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1