Great Day in the Food World

Author
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
2006/03/23 20:59:05 (permalink)

Great Day in the Food World

Here's an unusual topic for this forum. Just about everything that could go wrong today did, but it was still a successful day. First, we had an early morning bankers breakfast for 50, had to be in before 6am. Our lead server did a no show, highly unlikely so we were very concerned. Another on call person got the day wrong, so another no show. The one co worker that was to help me get a lunch out following the breakfast had to do double duty at the breakfast so I had to rail the lunch for 40 out myself. I got it done just in time for my co worker to return from the breakfast to deliver and set up the lunch. Therefore, I had to start a cocktail buffet for 50 by myself while my co worker was at the lunch. Someone who had the day off was enlisted to come in and they gladly did just that. THEN, the fish was late so we were smoking sides of salmon dangerously close to departure time AND the rentals were delivered to the wrong place, but made it to the cocktail buffet in the nick of time, with about 100 phone calls back and forth. Meanwhile, we found out our very dependable server was very ill which is why he was a no show. We hope he is on the mend. He's a great employee and a great guy. 3 of us pulled all of this off quite successfully. We got 2 future events from people at the breakfast that loved it, 2 lunches next week from lawyers attending today's lunch, and I just heard the cocktail buffet is going gangbusters and everyone is having a great time. Every client today was very pleased.
It was a good day at work, but boy, am I tired!

14 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/23 21:02:57 (permalink)
    Man I get tired just reading of your day. Congratulations at pulling it all together!
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/23 21:38:25 (permalink)
    Spectacular, zataar.
    Now *that's* professional!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/23 21:57:13 (permalink)
    Time for several cocktails... horror upon horror!
    KAYLINDA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/23 22:55:05 (permalink)
    Congratulations! You did a great job! I wouldn't wish all this on anyone.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/23 23:37:40 (permalink)
    Welcome to the restaurant biz! Basically it SUCKS! My worst nightmare happened one Saturday morning when I waited for phone calls......noone calling me..........went for my walk......came back home around 11AM, 5 messages. From the wait staff, "Noone is here and it's 11:30 AM and there's nobody in the kitchen."

PANIC!!! Hurry up and drive the 27 miles to the restaurant! The early morning prep guy called in sick (yeah, right) to my prep lady from Santo Domingo.......who never called me cuz she only speaks Spanish. The lunch cook was late. I nearly had a heart attack.

Sounds like you pulled it off zataar. But it surely is NOT FUN!

Jeza
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 00:37:07 (permalink)
    Am very sympathetic, its happened in a different way but horror days are always a challenge, when you pull them off you feel extremely (and with good reason) satisfied.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 07:18:44 (permalink)
    great job, Zataar! i understand why you would want to post your day. it helps, having others in the biz, understand what you went through. my day on tuesday was like this....
    first thing, early a.m. my car broke down (just got it out of the shop last week). finally get it to shop, and get to work.....
    already running late, someone had illegally dumped a couple tons of wood chips/pine straw, in my drive way. great! so i call to find a tractor, while running around changing fryers, firing up grills and smokers, and opening shop. here comes the trash truck(my dumpster is way full), and he has no way to get to it(tons of chips and straw in the way). so i get real creative. first, i got the driver to come up and eat a free lunch, then i explained the situation. he got full, and the ideas came rolling.... end of the story, he emptied my dumpster....thank god...... back to the job at hand....
    here comes the lawn service.... they fire up their noisy blowers and weed eaters and the phone rings(barely hear it). someone wants to place an order for 15 people! i look at the clock...half hour before opening....nothing ready yet..... "but of course, i will have your order ready!" what? what? (i can barely hear...oh god, who made these machines so loud, my head is gonna explode!) run run run!!! do tweenty things at once... then of course, part of the deal with the lawn service is the free lunch, and wouldnt you know it, they are ready to eat while i am in the middle of this huge order...
    then, more customers arrive, at 11, on the dot. almost never happens! at this point, i am sure i am breaking the sound barrier, by the speeds i am working....
    and then.,..... the calvary arrives.... my sweet wife....
    she calmly, and methodically jumps in, and in no time at all, all is well, all is fed, the only noise left, is the screaming in my head....
    whew! good thing i leave the beers at home.....
    zataar
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 07:44:32 (permalink)
    My main reason for posting was to say that although the day was indeed very scary, at no time did we dwell on the negative. It wouldn't have done anyone any good and besides, we LIKE our customers. We don't consider them to be a problem or a pain in the behind. We like our jobs, we like the business of food and the culture of food. Of course there are days,( like the entire month of December!), that I want to never set foot in a kitchen other than my own, but those days are few.

That said, thanks for all of the kind words. Most of your scary stories are all too familiar, but I bet all of you made it through the day. And yes, a few cocktails were enjoyed last night.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 09:37:30 (permalink)
    You are truly a professional Great work. I hope you don't have to do it again tomorrow!
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 10:17:03 (permalink)
    zataar, I'm just curious. Do you have a restaurant or only do catering?
    zataar
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 18:12:27 (permalink)
    I'm working in a catering only company. We are in negotiations for a cafe, but that's in the future. I'm lobbying against it. I've been an executive chef at 4 restaurants and worked in management at several others, so I'm not too thrilled about getting back into the fray (well, a small part of me is, it's in my blood!) My main reason for posting about my challenging day was to bring a different point of view in contrast to what has dominated this particular forum recently. Although I can relate to some of the complaints posted here, I really feel it's more productive to not bite the hand that feeds. And yeah, sometimes work simply sucks, no fun at all and exhausting. Also, I am not the owner so I'm not exactly carrying it around my neck 24 hours a day. I just felt like posting something a bit more positive than what I've been reading recently to let people know that some of us try to focus on the good stuff about food service.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/24 18:36:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

I'm working in a catering only company. We are in negotiations for a cafe, but that's in the future.

I'm in KC from time to time. If the cafe deal goes thru I'm planning on paying you a visit. Sounds like people love your cooking.
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/29 17:40:59 (permalink)
    Greeting Zataar, Great attitude and excecution, the operation is lucky to have you. If you ever want to come to Florida consider yourself hired!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Great Day in the Food World 2006/03/29 17:50:40 (permalink)
    Zataar: I sure do like your attitude about life and your business. Your employer is fortunate to have you. You bring a pleasant tone to the forum.

Accent the positive

Sincerely
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1